“Rooms bit dated”

Fairmont Chateau Laurier
Ranked #21 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Spent a night at the historic Chateau Laurier for a wedding with family and friends discount at 180$ on the Gold floor. For years of visiting Ottawa, I never thought I would stay here.
The lobby has Canadian Yossuf Karsh's photographs and the same marble look we find at Royal York, Queen Elizabeth, ( not at Chateau Frontenac or Victoria's Empress ) and the Vancouver Fairmont. Right to the gold Royal Canadian mail boxes I have seen in the corridors of the aforementioned hotels.
I was happy that I could check in early at 11:00 since I arrived from the bus station.
The email exchange, front desk staff and concierge staff were excellent even when they couldn't help me with Wedding party drop off place but they tried.
Also, my room was already paid months in advance by my relative's credit card but they asked me to check in with my own credit card ( I haven't received the statement yet but they reassured us when we checked-out that they wouldn't charge my credit card).

The amenities:
Le Labo Rose toiletries ( Grasse-NYC) just like I read in Air Canada's EnRoute magazine last year was neat.
iron, robes, kettle, keurig coffee with Timothy coffee pods , Fairmont teas ( I bought these teas at the Empress and Vancouver Fairmont but Laurier souvenir shop doesn't sell Fairmont China or teas .Perhaps since Fairmont sold the Laurier, Queen Elizabeth to Ivanhoe Cambridge while Chateau Frontenac is still Fairmont proper since they spent a lot modernizing the suites)
The 9$ price tag of a litre of Evian made me not touch anything.
The air conditioner was hard to adjust. We were cold.
There was a crumb in the tray containing torn pages of the Fairmont magazine but the rest was of the room was clean.
This carpeting ( which is a North American obsession) and upholstery dates the room.
The bed was very comfortable indeed. Best bed I slept on. For insomniac, that means something. Insulation of the room was good enough ( kids yelling in daytime) but when it counted at night, we slept well.

We had a morning swim in their Art Deco pool. Those industrial lamps that are trendy now are the original fixtures. The shower rooms were dated but not in a good way.
I enjoyed seeing the State-of-the-Art zany beauty treatments of the 1930s they offered ( electric baths tank-like contraption) in the lobby facing the pool area.

The wedding was grand in the drawing room with Wedgewood coloured ceilings. Food was excellent.
The bride and groom brought many clients from all over North America and were upgraded twice to the Presidential Suite. We had a peak. Dated carpets,furniture, jacuzzi. Dining room.
The most exciting of that suite was the view of the turret and the Butler's pantry with old-fashioned refrigeration and Nespresso machine.

Clientele: mixed crowd. Canadians, Americans, British, French, Germans, Asians, Brazilians. People who knew of the Fairmont brand. A disabled businessman at check-in was upset at something about his room not being ready or/and adaptable when he reserved. I don't know where he was from,

The minor caveat I had was with the so-called complimentary Wi-Fi as stipulated on sign of the desk. After giving up, I phoned the operator who kindly told me one must sign up at the concierge desk as member of the President's Club for free. I did since I had problems with cellphone reception as well. Well, return to my room. It did not work. I didn't have another 30 minutes to dedicate to this because I had a wedding to attend. It did not work for whole stay since I tried after the ceremony and the day afterwards.
I suppose they want guests to sign up for 18$ per day wi-fi access.
We spoke to other wedding guests staying having same problem .How we moaned Wi-FI is free at less prestigious establishments such as my last two hotels in Miami or Victoria.

In conclusion, I would hope President's Club privileges means something like discounts but it is highly unlikely I will be staying at a Fairmont on my next vacation because it is expensive London and it is THE SAVOY. But anywhere else like visiting the historic Lake Louise Fairmont or their tropical locales like Scottsdale spa, Mexico's Rose Mayakoba or Pacific places, I am game even if just for one night on my limited budget.

3  Thank Saffron
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for your very comprehensive review of your recent stay in Ottawa’s Castle!

You may be pleased to know that we have just begun phase 2 of our guestroom renovations and we do hope you return one day…we are confident you will be pleased with the improvements.

There are many benefits to becoming a member of our President’s Club. Membership is free and one of the many inclusions is complimentary Wi-Fi.

We do hope to welcome you back one day soon!

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Chateau Laurier

Reviewed 23 July 2014

An amazing building with terrific décor and a solid feel to it's 19th century construction. Needs better customer service at front desk and housekeeping. Rooms are large but, very dated and need a renovation. Bathrooms are tiny. Seems like some of the staff buys into the hype of the hotel a bit too much - at the expense of the guests needs. In room services, mini-bar and internet are outrageously expensive. More so than at a top notch Manhattan hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael K

Dear Michael,

We regret that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion; however, you may be pleased to know that we have just commenced phase 2 of our guestroom renovations. We do hope you return one day and we are confident that you will be pleased with the improvements.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

only stay at this hotel if you stay on the gold floor, it is like two differant hotels, the gold floor is worth every penny. You check in and check out on a special floor. you have a special parking space. again do not stay at this hotel unless you stay gold.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

We agree that Fairmont Gold provides our guests with the highest level of personalized service with many features and amenities!

We hope to welcome you back one day.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I must state that I have not stayed here overnight, but walk past it everyday for work and have always wanted to try their famed Sunday Brunch! I finally had the opportunity to go to, and was not disappointed despite the expensive price ($48 after tax). They have a selection of charcuterie, cheeses, fruits, desserts, cold salads and various types of eggs. They had a delicious maple crepe, and lacklustre waffles (grainy, not very fluffy as I've had elsewhere). Dress smartly, people enjoy wearing their Sunday best. Alcohol (e.g. mimosas) is extra, obviously.

However, I must say that for the price one would think they would have more varied food options. That is me comparing this brunch to other brunch spots that I have been to in Toronto. Again though, the selection offered was tasty, and very well presented.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

We are delighted that you enjoyed Sunday Brunch in Wilfrid’s and do appreciate your detailed review and feedback.

We hope to welcome you back one day soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights in the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa. It is right next to possibly 7 locks to go further upstream or into the lake below. While we were there, we did the city hop on hop off bus tour and cruise tour - both very enjoyable way to quickly see the sights and learn a little about the history of Ottawa.

We saw the light show, told to us by the Concierge when we asked what else was on offer. It was the story of Canada, set to music and lit up against the Parliament House building - very effective.

Our rooms were very adequate - no lovely views out of our rooms, which was a pity, but the beds were comfortable and room large enough.

Everyone was quite helpful while we were there - but not as helpful as we have found in most the other Fairmont Hotels we have stayed in while travelling around Canada, both the east and west sides.

1  Thank flower_rose38
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

It certainly sounds as though you enjoyed your visit to our Nation’s Capital!

Our mission is to turn moments into memories and I regret that the service from our colleagues did not exceed your expectations. Please rest assured that your experience is certainly not typical of the high level of service we strive to provide to our guests each and every day.

We hope to welcome you back one day soon!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Chateau Laurier was the setting for a conference so I booked my stay there. It is packed with history (builder perished on the Titanic right before the hotel opened) and located alongside the locks which let boats up and down the Rideau Canal. You can walk right across the lock gates from the hotel and along the bike/walking path that takes you to the Ottawa River. I was traveling alone, but I would recommend this for couples and families. The hotel itself is full of ambience of a by-gone era and beautifully maintained. You can walk to Parliament, the market and a fantastic selection of restaurants and classy shopping.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Fairmont Chateau Laurier, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

We are delighted that your first visit to our Ottawa was a memorable one and we look forward to welcoming you back one day soon!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Our short stay in Ottawa was greatly enhanced by our stay at the Chateau Laurier. The staff went out of their way to meet all of our needs in a most friendly and helpful manner. The ambiance of this famous landmark hotel is incredible. We highly recommend the Chateau to all visiting Ottawa.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

It certainly sounds as though you enjoyed your stay in Ottawa.

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor.