“5 reasons this is not a five-star hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Fairmont Chateau Laurier
Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
toronto
“5 reasons this is not a five-star hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Chateau Laurier for three nights. We travel extensively. This is like a three-star hotel cruising on a five-star reputation from years ago. What was wrong?
1. Ineffective air-conditioning. Cooled the room 1 degree in three days! (to 80 degrees)
2. Paint peeling from ceiling in bathroom and near radiator in the bedroom. I was picking pieces of paint off my husband's cheeck at dinner. Classy!
3. Curved tube television with screen that was 24", placed perpendicularly to the bed so only one person could watch it. From the sofa on the far side of the room the screen was too small. It's been three years since I have seen a non-LCD TV in a top hotel.
4. No bathrobes for first two nights. We didn't bring robes, assuming hotel would supply them. Looked in the literature on the desk. Nothing about robes, so didn't call down about this. Third night bathrobes appeared.
5. No Wi-Fi. Had to join the President's Club to get free ethernet and cable. Outdated. Again it's been a while since I've encountered this. The free internet on the Gold Club Floor is being advertised as if it's a privilege--it's also free at the Comfort Inn. It's expected by the business traveller now, not a privilege.

There was also no counter space in the bathroom, but a tiny ledge, half occupied by hotel's products, so that by the time my husband put down his shaving kit, there was no room anywhere for my hairbrush, let alone anything else, I do understand that it's an old hotel with pedestal sinks. But how much money does it cost to put in some shelving?The check-in staff had that twenty-something "I'm so bored. It's a shame I have to work for a living" attitide. The only good thing was the location and it was clean. In short, nothing like a five-star hotel. Stay anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TorontoLal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

We chose to stay here as we were only staying one night so could afford it and how glad are we! It felt like you were walking into a castle and then we got upgraded to the gold floor! We have no idea how but loved every minute and really made it value for money! The location was perfect and I would recommend to anyone, especially if you end up on the gold floor!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2009

We just returned from our 1 night stay at the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa. I chose this hotel based on its location, only I didn't really realize how good the location was until we arrived.

I had been looking at rates for this hotel on their website, so I knew what to expect when I called to book a room. The girl on the phone was friendly and helpful. As she was telling me the rates for different rooms, I had their website up infront of me. She finally mentioned the rate I had been looking at and I told her this was the one that I was interested in. It was a city view room. For 1 night, I didn't think we NEEDED to overlook the Parliament buildings. She then asked if she could put me on hold and when she came back she told me she would upgrade us to a room overlooking the Parliament buildings and the Rideau canal. I was impressed.

The location is perfect, close to the Parliament buildings, the Rideau Canal, the mall, the Byward Market.

Check in and check out was fast and easy with friendly staff. Concerige was also helpful in pointing us in the right direction to the Byward Market. The lobby impressed our 9 year old daughter who said "wow" when she entered the hotel.

The room was clean and the bed comfortable (although we found them small, maybe because they were only doubles). Room had a bar fridge and complimentary tea and coffee (although there was no filters for the coffee maker). We found the elevators to be quite a distance from our room.

You can self park or valet park, we opted for the valet parking which was $34 + tax.

Overall, we have no complaints about the hotel, despite the few things mentioned, we didn't consider them to be dealbreakers. We really enjoyed our 1 night in Ottawa that we plan on going back and staying a couple of nights at the Chateau Laurier again. Maybe we'll get to check out the pool next time.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
NORTH SAANICH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

Lovely old building in the heart of downtown Ottawa, next
to the Rideau canal and parliament. Gracious public rooms and spacious hallways. Rooms are traditional and very comfortable.
No street noise penetrates the building.
Service is quiet and efficient. History lurks in the hotel and there
are displays of events from the past 100 years.

Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2009

We stayed on the third floor with a room overlooking the Ottawa Locks on the Rideau Canal. View of East block of Parliament. Outstanding location.

They accidentally put us in a smoking room on the first floor, and the hotel was quite full, so this might have been an upgrade. We had a great stay and the central location is great for exploring most of the important part of Ottawa. Rooms are smaller than some hotels, but nice. The elegance of the whole place speaks from another era. The pool is authentic Art Deco and quite the experience to see. Seventh (top) floor looks derelict, but you're not really allowed up there.

If you want a classy experience and are willing to forfeit some of the modern touches for old-world charm, this is tops. It seems well run. They treated our kids very nicely, too, which was great. Service was prompt and courteous. They know they are #1 and are working hard to maintain that position, despite the challenges of running a hotel built so long ago.

Stoney Creek, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

I stayed at the Fairmont for a work conference. I normally prefer the Westin, as the rooms are larger, newer and generally more comfortable. Here are the positives for the Fairmont: Common spaces and meeting rooms are beautiful and nostalgic. The negatives: closet sized rooms (not kidding), poor heating and air conditioning, old outdated and dirty bathrooms! This hotel is OLD. My room was so small, I had to put my suitcase in the closet, and could only walk around one side of my bed. The bathroom toilet was just like something you would find at the old Maple Leaf Gardens, old and industrial. Anyhow - don't waste your money to stay here - you would be more comfortable at the Westin across the street. Also, should mention that there is no wireless internet, you have to plug in. Super annoying for the business traveller!

3 Thank dev0nle
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2009

In my opinion, there are only two places to stay in Ottawa. The Chateau Laurier or the Westin. Having now stayed at both, I feel the Westin has won out. We loved our dining experiences at the Chateau - dinner in Wilfred's and High Tea at Zoe's. We loved the common areas that are so beautiful. However, tiny windows that open two inches, inconsistent heating and cooling (we had to ask for a fan to keep the bedroom cool) and the teeny, tiny bathrooms that have NO ROOM for a hairbrush never mind all the stuff one brings with you. You have to plug in your hair dryer outside the bath (yes, they've given you a plug to do that). This all adds up to dark rooms that are not improved by somewhat shabby furniture and small tvs from the 70's. I am a loyal Fairmont fan but this is not one of their better efforts.

We made our reservations thru the President's Club (I mean, why wouldn't you belong - it's free) and we made specific reference to being away from the street. Having paid for a view of the Parliament Bldgs, we were assured of a quiet side of the building. Upon checkin, however, we were told that of the 600 rooms, 300 of which have to be on the side away from the street, no non-street room was available. So not only did we not get our view, but we got to be right above the busiest intersection in Ottawa - and those buses start early ! Living in downtown Toronto, when we like to use these breaks to get away from the noise, so were disappointed.

1 Thank Merlin2326