“Good service and Location, Amenities not 5-star.”

Fairmont Chateau Laurier
Ranked #21 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 July 2009

First off the staff and location is hands down the best for Ottawa. It is conveniently located within close walking proximity to everything you want to see in Ottawa.

Our room was a disappointment.

As another reviewer pointed out, the air conditioning was inadequate. The room never cooled and you're constantly feeling humid. At night, if you're lucky the room temperature will drop because the outside temperature is low. The windows barely open and the thick (although luxurious appearing curtains) will block most of the draft that could enter.

The bathroom is very dated and small. Very little to no counter space, even after removing the bathroom products and towels. The shower head is dated and the stream of water that comes out is either too wide or too narrow and painful. (Just a note, the best shower head I've experienced is at the Westin with their dual shower heads! Must try!) The toilet is similar to the ones you find on restroom stops along highways that are single metal lever located in the back without a tank that people often push with their feet to flush. The toilet seat is the type that doesn't make a complete circle. (Although to be fair to the highway stops, most have upgraded to nicer friendlier looking toilets.)

The television remote is terrible and changing channels is only by pushing up and down. You can change to a specific channel but the number remains on the television right in the middle. I didn't bother to investigate this further, just wanted to get to the news channel and leave it there.

Mini-fridge is old and smelly. Although I'm sure most travelers avoid the mini-fridge, it's still nice to know whether you can trust or utilize the stuff that's in there.

Internet is wired... in this day and age!?! Their website states they have wireless internet but the check-in staff had no idea about this. Upon further investigation, the wireless internet area is confined to a small public area of the hotel. The cable that is provided in the room is broken (or perhaps deliberately so since it was like this in Banff as well) with the tab that secures it to the back of your computer is missing so any movement may cause you lose connection accidentally. It's also a short cable, so if you want to use it in bed. I agree with another reviewer that this is not a privilege and that every traveler expects internet service these days. Even Sleep Inn and Comfort Inn offer this! Com'on!

Thankfully the bed was fine - but on par with most upscale hotels.

The staff, especially housekeeping and the doormen are terrific. The bell-boy didn't setup our luggage on the stand or offer to get us ice, concierge is hit or miss, there's a couple that are very friendly and knowledgeable.

Make sure to check out their indoor pool (just cause they have one...)

Overall, if you have the money, don't mind the outdated room and need convenience, don't mind the temperature in your room, then this is your place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank mrtraveldude

Reviewed 9 July 2009

We booked and enjoyed a nice suite and their gold service. The girls on the 4th floor were fantastic, changing our airline seats, advising well and booking good places to eat. They also booked a very efficient driver at the last minute (to take us to the wedding and later pick us up from the reception).
Great location for seeing the sites and we rented bikes just up the road.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2009

My wife and I just returned home from a great stay at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier in Ottawa. Our room was definitely...'Cozy!!". It was the Fairmont standard room and it was pretty small but overall we would definitely recommend this hotel. The hotel has a few good restaurants on-site, a very nice bar with live entertainment nightly and a really cool swimming pool. The swimming pool is inside, however it has a two level deck for chairs and a very ornate ceiling and design. It's also pretty large and deep for a pool at a city hotel. The staff was friendly and the room had all of the Fairmont standard amenities (mini-bar, toiletries, free internet for president’s club members, etc). It's in a very good location too. You can walk to all of the major attractions very easily. The changing of the guards, parliament, and farmers market are literally outside their doors. If I had one small complaint, the A/C was in a very bad location (within the window) so if you closed the curtains there was very little air flow. Luckily, it wasn't that warm the weekend we were there, but I could see how some people would complain about that. Overall, we had a very nice stay there. Also, if you are looking for a really good (and interesting) restaurant, check out '18'... Enjoy Ottawa!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WillTraveler56
Reviewed 26 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Chateau Laurier for three nights. We travel extensively. This is like a three-star hotel cruising on a five-star reputation from years ago. What was wrong?
1. Ineffective air-conditioning. Cooled the room 1 degree in three days! (to 80 degrees)
2. Paint peeling from ceiling in bathroom and near radiator in the bedroom. I was picking pieces of paint off my husband's cheeck at dinner. Classy!
3. Curved tube television with screen that was 24", placed perpendicularly to the bed so only one person could watch it. From the sofa on the far side of the room the screen was too small. It's been three years since I have seen a non-LCD TV in a top hotel.
4. No bathrobes for first two nights. We didn't bring robes, assuming hotel would supply them. Looked in the literature on the desk. Nothing about robes, so didn't call down about this. Third night bathrobes appeared.
5. No Wi-Fi. Had to join the President's Club to get free ethernet and cable. Outdated. Again it's been a while since I've encountered this. The free internet on the Gold Club Floor is being advertised as if it's a privilege--it's also free at the Comfort Inn. It's expected by the business traveller now, not a privilege.

There was also no counter space in the bathroom, but a tiny ledge, half occupied by hotel's products, so that by the time my husband put down his shaving kit, there was no room anywhere for my hairbrush, let alone anything else, I do understand that it's an old hotel with pedestal sinks. But how much money does it cost to put in some shelving?The check-in staff had that twenty-something "I'm so bored. It's a shame I have to work for a living" attitide. The only good thing was the location and it was clean. In short, nothing like a five-star hotel. Stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank TorontoLal
Reviewed 24 June 2009

We chose to stay here as we were only staying one night so could afford it and how glad are we! It felt like you were walking into a castle and then we got upgraded to the gold floor! We have no idea how but loved every minute and really made it value for money! The location was perfect and I would recommend to anyone, especially if you end up on the gold floor!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2009

We just returned from our 1 night stay at the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa. I chose this hotel based on its location, only I didn't really realize how good the location was until we arrived.

I had been looking at rates for this hotel on their website, so I knew what to expect when I called to book a room. The girl on the phone was friendly and helpful. As she was telling me the rates for different rooms, I had their website up infront of me. She finally mentioned the rate I had been looking at and I told her this was the one that I was interested in. It was a city view room. For 1 night, I didn't think we NEEDED to overlook the Parliament buildings. She then asked if she could put me on hold and when she came back she told me she would upgrade us to a room overlooking the Parliament buildings and the Rideau canal. I was impressed.

The location is perfect, close to the Parliament buildings, the Rideau Canal, the mall, the Byward Market.

Check in and check out was fast and easy with friendly staff. Concerige was also helpful in pointing us in the right direction to the Byward Market. The lobby impressed our 9 year old daughter who said "wow" when she entered the hotel.

The room was clean and the bed comfortable (although we found them small, maybe because they were only doubles). Room had a bar fridge and complimentary tea and coffee (although there was no filters for the coffee maker). We found the elevators to be quite a distance from our room.

You can self park or valet park, we opted for the valet parking which was $34 + tax.

Overall, we have no complaints about the hotel, despite the few things mentioned, we didn't consider them to be dealbreakers. We really enjoyed our 1 night in Ottawa that we plan on going back and staying a couple of nights at the Chateau Laurier again. Maybe we'll get to check out the pool next time.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Lovely old building in the heart of downtown Ottawa, next
to the Rideau canal and parliament. Gracious public rooms and spacious hallways. Rooms are traditional and very comfortable.
No street noise penetrates the building.
Service is quiet and efficient. History lurks in the hotel and there
are displays of events from the past 100 years.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)