First off the staff and location is hands down the best for Ottawa. It is conveniently located within close walking proximity to everything you want to see in Ottawa.
Our room was a disappointment.
As another reviewer pointed out, the air conditioning was inadequate. The room never cooled and you're constantly feeling humid. At night, if you're lucky the room temperature will drop because the outside temperature is low. The windows barely open and the thick (although luxurious appearing curtains) will block most of the draft that could enter.
The bathroom is very dated and small. Very little to no counter space, even after removing the bathroom products and towels. The shower head is dated and the stream of water that comes out is either too wide or too narrow and painful. (Just a note, the best shower head I've experienced is at the Westin with their dual shower heads! Must try!) The toilet is similar to the ones you find on restroom stops along highways that are single metal lever located in the back without a tank that people often push with their feet to flush. The toilet seat is the type that doesn't make a complete circle. (Although to be fair to the highway stops, most have upgraded to nicer friendlier looking toilets.)
The television remote is terrible and changing channels is only by pushing up and down. You can change to a specific channel but the number remains on the television right in the middle. I didn't bother to investigate this further, just wanted to get to the news channel and leave it there.
Mini-fridge is old and smelly. Although I'm sure most travelers avoid the mini-fridge, it's still nice to know whether you can trust or utilize the stuff that's in there.
Internet is wired... in this day and age!?! Their website states they have wireless internet but the check-in staff had no idea about this. Upon further investigation, the wireless internet area is confined to a small public area of the hotel. The cable that is provided in the room is broken (or perhaps deliberately so since it was like this in Banff as well) with the tab that secures it to the back of your computer is missing so any movement may cause you lose connection accidentally. It's also a short cable, so if you want to use it in bed. I agree with another reviewer that this is not a privilege and that every traveler expects internet service these days. Even Sleep Inn and Comfort Inn offer this! Com'on!
Thankfully the bed was fine - but on par with most upscale hotels.
The staff, especially housekeeping and the doormen are terrific. The bell-boy didn't setup our luggage on the stand or offer to get us ice, concierge is hit or miss, there's a couple that are very friendly and knowledgeable.
Make sure to check out their indoor pool (just cause they have one...)
Overall, if you have the money, don't mind the outdated room and need convenience, don't mind the temperature in your room, then this is your place to stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reflecting the confidence, dignity and style of Ottawa, Fairmont Chateau Laurier stands as a testament to this dynamic, thriving city. Located in the heart of Canada's capital next door to the Parliament Buildings, the landmark Fairmont Chateau Laurier hotel in Ottawa is a magnificent limestone edifice with turrets and masonry reminiscent of a French chateau. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Fairmont Hotels, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fairmont Chateau Laurier reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel Ottawa
- Fairmont Hotel Ottawa
- Fairmont Hotel Chateau Laurier
- Fairmont Ottawa
- Ottawa Fairmont