“Still (mostly) dependable, but. . .”

Courtyard Ottawa Downtown
Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Syracuse, NY
“Still (mostly) dependable, but. . .”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I like this hotel. I have for about a dozen years or so. It is centrally located and usually pretty reasonably priced. If you are a Marriott Rewards customer, chances are you can get a room without the (ridiculous) $20 parking fee for the garage that was supposedly "renovated" about a year and half ago, but darned if I can see what the changes actually were.

I have two frustrations with this hotel. First, as a Reward member, you used to get 500 points or a free breakfast. Now, you get either 100 points, a breakfast discount, or a free appetizer. Secondly, we asked for a rollaway bed, which we were not guaranteed. That's fine, I get that. When I asked about it at check in (we came prepared with our own air mattress just in case), I was told that the hotel could give us a mattress to put on the floor but that they could not give us a cot/bed on wheels or something quasi-unintelligible because of, well, I'm not sure I actually understood the reason. I guess my problem is this: how can you give the option of a rollaway, if there is no rollaway? The person who used the mattress was very accepting of the situation, but what happens when you have travelled hundreds or thousands of miles and are told that one in your party has to, essentially, sleep on the floor because the hotel can't/won't provide the actual "rollaway" that is supposedly available on the Marriott website? Granted, we booked just one room to save money, but this experience left be with a bad feeling about a hotel that has historically been a very solid choice. Just beware before you pick the rollaway option: someone will wind up sleeping on the floor.

Room Tip: Pick an inside room. There will be no view, but it will be quiet. If you want a view, spend a few ex...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank vandycuse99
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us as it helps us to improve our service for future guests!

Our parking charge of $20 is very competitive for the area as we area on the average equal to or up to $20 less than other area hotels. We also offer unlimited in/out privileges which is something not offered by all downtown properties. Unless included in a package, this price is for all of our guests, including Marriott Rewards members. I apologize if there was a misunderstanding about the work done to our parking area two summers area. The renovation was to the ramp leading to our lower level parking. It was completely redone and there were no other changes to our parking.

In regards to our welcome gift, we do change the benefit periodically and the gift varies for each Elite status. We apologize that you don’t feel this gift is adequate; however, this is not a standard and is something the hotel chooses to do voluntarily as a little bonus for staying with us. Unfortunately, our rooms with two queen size beds are not permitted to have a cot or rollaway bed. This is due to fire regulations and was not a decision made by the hotel. We must comply with this fire regulation for the safety of our guests as due to the size of our rooms the fire department has deemed that the cot will hinder an emergency evacuation by blocking the path to a safe exit. When booking through our website, the room details for a room with two queen beds does state that the room is unable to accommodate a cot. As an alternative when another bed is absolutely necessary, we are able to put a mattress on the floor as this does not block your path in the same way the metal frame to a cot would. We do apologize that this is perhaps not the ideal solution, but unfortunately, it is the best we are able to do and still comply with fire safety. A room with a king sized bed is able to accommodate a cot without any issue.

Again, I’d like to thank you for posting your review and I apologize for any misinformation that may have occurred when reserving or during your stay. We hope to have the opportunity to host your next visit to Ottawa!

-Michelle Wilson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
United States
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay here at Courtyard Downtown Ottawa, location is great right in the middle of Byward Market
and about a 5-10 minute walk to the Parliament Hill and Rideau Canal and Rideau Center. Check in was fast and they had water and fruits at the front lobby.

The room was clean and newly renovated and like the outlet plugs by the night stand. The only thing that they didn't replace was shower walls and the shower fixtures but they were clean and in good working order. The sheets and towels were thinner but the bed was nice, firm and comfortable. The had one water bottle and a coffee maker. The FREE WIFI was strong and was able to stream videos.

We were given a choice of an inside room where it's quiet without a view or an exterior room and could become pretty loud from the outside noise. I would definitely recommend an inside room if you can't sleep with any noise. We had an exterior room and it overlooks some of the restaurants in the area and it was quiet loud from the restaurant patrons, street performers that has speakers. It was muffled so I could never make out what any body was saying and it lulled me to sleep so it wasn't an issue for me. Strange though coz the window looked brand new and so clean that it should have helps with insulation perhaps it was the wall instead of the window. Anyway, might want to choose an inside room instead eventhough it's overlooking another room but you're not missing much with an exterior room anyway.

I would definitely stay here again because of the location. There are so many restaurants, takeout places and shops in the area.

Update: I am so behind in posting on Tripadvisor. I again stayed in the Courtyard Byward Market last month. I chose the inside quiet room this time and it was as good as the first time. Actually better with a larger upgraded room with upgraded amenities.

Stayed December 2013
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to know that you had enjoyable stays while in Ottawa. Our location is unbeatable, in the heart of the market. The hotel is within walking distance to many attractions and over 130 restaurants! We hope that each time you visit you are able to explore the area and discover new restaurants.

The rooms were recently renovated and certain room types do provide upgraded amenities such as robes, a Keurig coffee machine, and even a guestroom safe. We’re glad that you enjoyed the rooms both times you stayed. The whole hotel provides complimentary WiFi to our guests. The entire system was upgraded recently to provide our guests with a fast connection.

As you touched on previously, we do have inside and outside facing rooms. However, being in the market area certain nights of the week have more ongoing activities resulting in more noise than usual. Nevertheless, should a guest request a certain room location or a room transfer we will do our very best to accommodate them. We also do offer earplugs at the front desk for those that wish to have an outside facing room.

Thank you again for posting on TripAdvisor. We hope to host you yet again in the future.
Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This used to be my "go to" hotel during my frequent stays in the nation's capital. Unfortunately time has not been kind to the Courtyard Marriott. While attempts have been made to keep the the hotel's lobby and common areas modern the rooms themselves and the hotel's corridors are very much showing their age. In addition this part of the ByTown area is starting to take on a slightly unsavoury and seedy tone that I have begun avoiding (especially when I travel with my family). Parking at this hotel is a chore and loading and unloading passengers and bags can be a downright nightmare if you are unlucky to time your arrival with one of the many tour buses that now seem to frequent the hotel. My advice is that there are better hotels in the area for the same price.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Northof60Canada
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Thank you for providing us with your constructive criticisms as it helps us to improve ourselves!

I’m happy to announce that in the year since you last stayed with us we have done a lot of work to the hotel, including changing the carpeting and wallpaper in our hallways so that they now have a more updated, modern look. As we are currently in our slow period, we have taken full advantage and are using the opportunity to replace all the mattresses with new pillow top mattresses! We have already completed the first floor and anticipate having all floors completed by the end of the month. We have also implemented a new parking system which has greatly improved the parking experience for our guests. We’re sorry to hear that you feel our hotel no longer meets your needs but I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the changes we have done should you choose to stay with us again.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and we will continue to find ways to meet the ever changing needs of travelers.

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Our son got married in down town Ottawa and we booked a block of rooms for out of town guests at this hotel. A few of us stayed for three nights and some of the guests stayed for one night. From start, making the reservations, to finish, checking out, and making some changes along the way, this hotel to great to deal with. The G.M., Nancy, always returned emails or phone calls and the front staff were very accommodating. I had booked to use their wheelchair for my 90 year old mom and there it was waiting for us. Also the location is perfect to stay at if you want to be in walking distance to enjoy some of the sites in down town Ottawa. I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your 5 star review! We’re very happy that during such a busy time, we were able to do the little things, like making sure your mother could use our wheelchair, so that you could focus on what was most important, your son’s wedding! We always aim to give our guests the best customer service and feel honoured when guests have chosen to stay with us. Our location is perfect for everyone, whether here for work or pleasure, as there is so much to see and do all within a very short walk.

Again, we’re glad you had such a good stay with us and we look forward to hosting your next visit to Ottawa!

Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Vary spacious and beautiful rooms. Bed comfortable, high end furniture and computer friendly environment. Free underground parking is great in the wintertime!
Will definitely return on my next trip to Ottawa.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alex N
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Thank you so much for the positive review! We are happy to know you had a great stay.

Our rooms, along with the public areas, Bistro and hallways were remodelled recently. We’re glad to hear that you found your stay comfortable.

Parking is available on site for an additional cost of $20 (with taxes). However, there are some packages and promotions that may include parking for the guests stay.

We are so pleased to hear we will be seeing you in the future. Thank you once again for providing us with your feedback.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I went with some friends for the weekend to Ottawa (combo Xmas shopping and weekend away) and this hotel was just perfect for our needs. We were centrally located to shops & restaurants (right in the Byward market area). The pool, spa, and work out room were great - perfect for unwinding after a really tough week! We were lucky enough to get a deal with the buffet breakfast included and it was just scrumptious! Eggs, bacon, fresh fruit : it was a great way to start the day off. Also available was underground (and indoor!) parking. The hotel is so central to everything we wanted to do that we just walked everywhere - it was splendid. All the staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. The price was quite reasonable for the location and quality of accommodation. I will certainly be back in Ottawa and I will most certainly be back to this hotel!! Thanks, Marriott! :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank karenb52
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
We’re so glad you had such a nice getaway in Ottawa! Our location is perfect for shopping, eating out and seeing local attractions. And our pool area is a great place to relax after spending the day wandering the city. In spirit of the holiday season, for the month of December all of our guests are being given the gift of a complimentary hot buffet breakfast! We’re so happy that our staff also helped make sure you had a good stay. They’re always ready to help with recommendations, directions or anything else you need!

We want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and we look forward to hosting your next getaway! Happy Holidays!

PEI
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel every time I've been to Ottawa since I discovered it several years ago. It's located in the Byward Market, so many, many options for food and drinks as well as local shopping. It's a 5 minute walk to the Rideau Centre and Parliament Hill. So really not much need for renting a vehicle. Their front desk staff are very pleasant and accomodating. Each time you walk in the door, they greet you with a comment or a smile. My father particularly enjoyed one young gentleman commenting on his "New England Pat's" hat each time we came through. The rooms are a good size and are clean and comfortable, although the pillows aren't the best. The bathrooms are small, but clean. I always ask for a room facing the courtyard due to the proximity of the bars and restaurants. Appreciated the "noise policy" very much. We were there for 4 nights and never heard a sound the entire time we were there after 10:00 pm. As always, I would definitely recommend this hotel and will continue to return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bahamamamaPei
Customer R, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for your continued loyalty.

We are happy to know that you enjoy our location. We trust that you were able to take advantage of the restaurants within walking distance. Many guests when coming to our hotel park their vehicles for their entire stay, since, as you mentioned we are within walking distance to many things.

Our employees take customer service to heart which is why we want our guests to feel welcome. We are glad that you found our staff to be friendly.

The hotel policies are implemented on weekends. This policy is in place to help preserve a quiet atmosphere at night when many of our guests are trying to sleep. We are happy to know that your stay was pleasant.