“For Low expectation travellers”

Econo Lodge Downtown
Ranked #62 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Halifax, Canada
“For Low expectation travellers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

You might chech same price hotels if you get almost same price this Location is persuasive. Airport down town number 97 bus can take you close. Breakfast free but American (low) standard. No window for fresh air , air condition works noisily. Bathroom is large enough. towels and bed sheets was clean. I did not see bugs or mold around. If you travel by car there are courtyard parking spaces free.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Cornwall, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We booked this room so we could park the car and walk. We were going to BUSKERFEST on Sparks St. On the way, we passed Rideau Centre. Byward Market,the Cannal, Parlement Buildings, and the War Memorial. The hotel was just what we needed for a 3 day trip. It wasn't much to look at from the outside, but the room was clean and spassious . It had no pool, it had free parking, a great continental breakfast, it was quiet, and the staff were great.We will go back.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be good and they all face the courtyard parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
New Glasgow, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel about 8 years ago and based on my recent stay I'm positive that the management has not done any renovations since then. The paint is falling off the walls, screens in windows are ripped, The hotel is in a state of disrepair.

The front desk staff seemed annoyed if I asked a question and with the fact that i reserved the room with one credit card but paid with a different one. That was a sign of what to expect with the hotel.

The room itself on the inside wasn't too bad, about what I would expect for the price of the room. However I wasn't happy that the door had about a 1.5 inch gap on the bottom to the "outdoor" hallway.
The breakfast can be skipped as the dinning area is in no better shape than the rest and the fact that the breakfast consisted of toast, cereal or waffles no yougurt, fruit, or even bagels/muffins it was by far the smallest breakfast i've ever seen in a hotel.

I also thought the location was a little sketchy, and didn't want to venture out after dark. I wanted to go eat in Byward, but knew it would be dark on the walk back, so didn't bother.

Not having a fridge in the room , i went to get ice in the morning to fill my cooler for the drive however, found that the door to the ice machine/stairs wouldn't open for me so I had to walk all the way around the hotel from the other entrance to get to the ice machine. When I got there i had to squeeze by the baby strollers that were stored there by the "monthly" residents of the hotel.

I would recommend spending the extra $25 or $30 and staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: ground floor has drive up rooms, with windows looking into the parking lot rather than windows which...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank goldenflyte

Travellers are raving about these Ottawa hotels

Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

It is worst hotel that I have ever had. The hall wasn't indoor in my opinion, the hall would need a lot of reservation. Some lights were out smell like cigarette and a lot of spider webs. Also I got several bug bite on my leg so I really didn't want to use the blanket so I used my towel that I have brought from my home. Also I wanted a room change because my original room didn't work WIFI so I requested a room change and got my room changed but the key didn't work. I was really disappointed. When I depart for the Ottawa from my all the way back home from Winnipeg, I was really excited for the vacation but when I arrived at this hotel that made me puke. I really don't recommand this place! Never

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jason K
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Rooms need updating, location is fairly far from downtown (only works, if you travel by car). The room smells and air conditioning does not seem to do the job. I DO NOT RECOMMEND staying there, unless everything else is booked.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank bus_leisure
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here as I regularly come into Ottawa for a night of work. Location is just east of King Edward, meaning just beginning to leave downtown and it is a run-down neighbourhood. If you walk from downtown you should be prepared to be asked for a lot of handouts from those on the street. The hotel itself looks like it rents room by the hour from the outside. I am surprised, to be honest, Choice Hotels lets something so run down keep it's name. However, the inside is much better and my room was likely recently renovated. One double sized bed (although square pillows like on a couch) with clean sheets. The room seemed very clean. I expected bugs so checked - didn't find any. A nice, large TV with about 80 channels of cable. The picture was really fuzzy but when I jiggled the cable it cleared up. Somethings are odd, like the windows into the hallway. Front staff was pleasant. My room had a fridge and a coffee maker. There was one pack of coffee, no decaf, no tea. There is a domestic-style window air conditioner in the room. It certainly had enough power to cool the room, but was loud and did have a strange location where it is basically impossible for it not to blow on you in the bed. Breakfast is very minimal - packaged baked goods, white toast, no bagels or cream cheese even. No fruit for sure. Nothing warm outside of waffles. Coffee is rather watery. Travelling by myself, I would likely stay here again. But if I had my wife and daughter with me - no way! The inside of the room looks like a different hotel compared to the outside. The best shawarma place in town is across the road and there are two nearby grocery stores.

Room Tip: Corner suite has a window to the outside, instead of a shower window facing the hallway.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank TravellingPriest
toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

i waited to write this review with the hopes that the hotel or choice hotels would offer me something
for the horrible nights stay we had and compensate us for the inconvenience of no sleep and bug bites but all i got from choice hotels is we will contact the hotel and have them respond and all we got from the hotel is sorry we stripped the room and sprayed it . now let me tell you about the stay.
pulled into a run down motel checked in room , it was old but looked ok bathroom looked a like they trying to update a little so ... parking lot had children running around ( families living in motel ) dropped our stuff off and went to meet our other party for dinner ( reason we stay in ottawa ) spent the evening with them and returned to econolodge. sat up watching some tv and went to sleep around 2 . woke up several times through the night felt like bugs crawling on me and husband could not find anything on bed or ourselves but continued to be woken up through the night finally at around 6am ( NO SLEEP ) could not take it anymore so we got up and showered and left. visited the breakfast bar - pathetic not a fruit in sight a waffle maker some toast and juice:( within the next 2 hours my husband complaining about something on his elbow looks like a bite and my neck and arm started swelling ( i am allergic to spiders and so it began ) . beware of this place spend the extra 60-80 for a good nights sleep and a decent breakfast . very sketchy neighborhood would not recommend elderly or children to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple