“Tough night's sleep.”

Ranked #23 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Montreal
“Tough night's sleep.”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Spent one night at this hotel on a Friday night in August. Small lobby area with friendly check-in, complimentary champagne upon check-in. For the first time in my life, I’d used Priceline to make a reservation given that I ended up with a “boutique hotel” with so many different room types, I was mentally prepared to get the smallest room, worst view, and probably a smoking room despite my strong preference for non-smoking. Well, two of those three were true. Despite being on the 7th floor (room 714) and non-smoking, the room was very small (smaller than I’ve had in Asia), the view was literally of a brick wall next door with no chance to see anything. It was a connecting room, but noise from the (occupied) room next to me was not an issue.

Bathroom was small but not too small, it was fine. Waterpik showerhead (the kind you can buy for $40 at Home Depot), good water pressure, and it was clean. Towels seemed brand new and were great. No real complaints here, but don’t expect luxury. Toiletries were nice, although for some reason I only had one bar of soap (for both the sink and the shower).

Room itself was nicely appointed and in pretty good shape. Nice décor, lamps, I found it bright enough even if I needed to work. Bed was a Queen and extremely comfortable, I was impressed. The biggest problem I had here was with the noise from the hallways. Even with the AC fan on providing some white noise, the constant doors opening/closing plus occasional people talking made for a very difficult night’s sleep. It was my first time in a hotel room where there is no obstruction/wall/partition between the bed and the door. So when in bed you have nothing blocking the sound, which was something I hadn’t thought of but it made a big difference.

I’d recommend this hotel to those looking for a clean room in a central location in Ottawa, and I’d suggest booking one of the larger room types. If you’re expecting a luxury hotel, you may be disappointed depending on your expectations. For families, it would depend how big your room is, but with so many connecting rooms and noise from the hallways, you’re likely not going to feel very comfortable in this hotel with young kids, especially if they’re loud. For business, the desk was nice and it was fine, but again… I wasn’t able to sleep through the night and wouldn’t have wanted to have to wake up for an early morning meeting on that night’s sleep.

I’m accepting of the room I got for the price I paid, but I wouldn’t put this in the same category as many of the Montreal boutique hotels, nor does it have many of the amenities of a larger 4-star chain hotel, nor does the building give off any sense of history or unique Ottawa appeal. It’s nice, the people were nice… I just wouldn’t go out of my way to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MTLSteve
ArcGM, General Manager at ARC The Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Thank you for your detailed remarks. Your comments help us increase our learning and give us the opportunity to review our standards and levels of service. I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Pleasant, subdued decor. Comfy bed. Didn't love the pillows but had my own. Breakfast was included and was tasty but the service we got was unimpressive. Had to ask twice for butter and jam. Free parking is nice but, as it's valet, be prepared to tip.

I'd definitely go back for comfort and location.

• Stayed August 2012
ARC The.Hotel would like to express our gratitude to you for taking the time to leave such a complimentary review. We make every effort to ensure our guest’s experiences are superb. We sincerely hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your next trip to Ottawa.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I actually really like this hotel,the staff is friendly but not overly friendly wich for me is a good thing
the rooms are nice and comfortable and i like that it has a young atmosphere .One thing i do have to say i was surprised about was the carpeting in my room.....it is very stained i do not know what happened in this room but when you are going to rent a room you should maybe clean the carpets....Besides that everything was nice ,the elevators are a bit slow but overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank torontogirl6910
Thank you for your feedback on ARC The.Hotel. All reviews are taken into consideration by management to identify areas of improvement. We are pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay and hope for the opportunity to welcome you back
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2012

My son's fiancee booked this Hotel for the bride & groom and also visitors from out of town. We were very impressed with the accomodations and the great service. My mother in law and the bride's grandmother and grandfather stayed here for two extra nights. They were very impressed with the service and also the rooms. The bride's grandparents have been staying in Hotels when they travel and they mentioned that it was the best Hotel they stayed at by far.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thorough and complimentary review of ARC The.Hotel. We are thrilled that our associates and facility were able to exceed your expectations. We are proud to be your hotel of choice in Ottawa and look forward to welcoming you back.
Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2012

With conflicting reviews, and few options, we booked The Arc Hotel for a 4 night stay. We usually do a fair amount of research on a city before arriving, in this instance I did not have the opportunity and thought the hotel would certainly have information in the room, or at least the front desk would be able to help. That did not happen. There was no material in the room and when I asked at the front desk, they sent me to the information booth 2 blocks away. Our window faced a brick wall. The beds were really comfortable. Nothing that really made the hotel stand out, except for Emilio who helped us find a rental car to get to a wedding, when there were none left in the city. He really saved the day. We might stay there again....maybe not.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate your comments and vital feedback. We are always striving to do our best for our guests and your experience will ensure we do just that.
Maple, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2012

This hotel is nicely situated a short walk from Parliament Hill. It is a good value and very well appointed. The rooms are small but nice and clean. The staff are excellent and helpful. Besides a little hiccup on check-in everything was smooth. When it started raining as we were to walk to a restaurant for dinner they offered us umbrellas for our outing. Definitely worth returning to.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your recommendation of ARC The.Hotel, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we are happy to hear that you would return on your next trip to Ottawa. We will look forward to welcoming you back.