“Great location!”
Review of Novotel Ottawa

Ranked #27 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We had a weekend getaway in Ottawa and booked Novotel. We traveled with a small baby so we have ordered a crib. When we came late in the evening the crib wasn't there, but the moment we complained about it they broght a playpen, which we refused, and they got us a crib immidiately. Other than that, no issues at all. Room was clean. And maid came every morning to clean it up, good pillows, ac was in every room and working properly for heat and for cold.
We had king superiour room and it was a bit small for us. Open concept made it impossible to watch tv in the luving room when baby was sleeping.
TIPS: 1) To save on parking get the daily pass. They did not tell us about this option. We had to figure it out.
2) Do not eat at local restaurant. The food was gross and expensive. We paid $100 for club sandwich, pasta, salad and 2 ice creams.
Hotel is in the area full of yummy places.

• Stayed: May 2014
Danny P, Front Office Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Platok,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies if you received a play pen instead of a baby crib. I am also surprised about the fact that you were not advised of the parking arrangement at check-in. Our associates systematically explain the advantages of setting up parking directly with the hotel.

I am sorry you did not find our restaurant to your liking. as you mentioned the area has several alternatives for food.

Thank you.

There are newer reviews for Novotel Ottawa

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We booked in advance and got a very reasonable rate. We generally prefer large, efficient, anonymous chain hotels when travelling, so had no problems with what this Novotel offered. It was comfortable, clean and in a great location for exploring Ottawa on foot. There are also numerous restaurants and shops nearby but do try the Albion Rooms restaurant and bar in the hotel - we had a very enjoyable evening there. Recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Danny P, Front Office Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Magic C,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay at Novotel Ottawa.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel for one night with a 10month old. They did not have cribs available ( even though we requested at booking), and when we went to guest service all we were told was "its first come first serve and we are "out of luck". We paid our bill by debit and yet the hotel put a hold on our credit card which they failed to release for over a week, it took a dispute from the credit card company to get them to release the funds. When we called to complain the manager was beyond rude . I guess I was "out of luck" for choosing this hotel... and it wasn't cheap!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Anna K

Dear Anna K,

Please accept my sincerest apologies if we did not fulfill your expectations on your last stay with us.

I am sure our staff did the best they could do to accommodate your many demands. Unfortunately, there was a high demand for cribs on the dates you were a guest. Since your reservation was made through a third party, your request did not make it through to our end.

I am glad you were able to resolve the hold on your credit card with your bank.

On your next trip, I hope you will be able to find accommodations that will be able to suit all your needs.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed at the Novotel hotel this past weekend (May 23-25th) with my sister and mom because we were participating in the 1/2 marathon on the Sunday. This was the third year in a row we have stayed here and I have to say that this year I was not imprssed with the customer service we received at the front desk. On Saturday night we went to bed early as we had to get up to run the next day but we were unable to fall asleep due to the noise coming from the room next to us. There was banging, yelling and loud music that lasted for hours. After 30 mins we called down to the front desk to let them know the situation. About 5 mins later someone from the hotel came banging on our door and when we opened it, they loudly said to us "Were you the ones who called us about the noise complaint?". We explained the situation but they did not go next door to speak to the loud guests. About an hour later the noise was worse so my sister and I went down to the front desk. An employee came up with us and on the way told us that he was suprised it was this loud at midnight and said it would probably get worse at 3am. He also told us that if we found it too loud, we should go over ourselves and knock on our neighbour's door to tell them to quiet down. Once we were upstairs and while we were still in the hallway trying to get into our room, the hotel employee knocked on our neighbour's door and told them that we had complained about the noise and that they should lower the music. That didnt happen and we did not get to sleep for several hours.

The next morning when checking out we were asked how our stay was and we said it was good besides the fact that we had been kept up all night due to partying neighbours. The hotel employee just laughed and gave us our bill.

Overall the hotel is in a great location, the restaurant for breakfast and dinner are wonderful but I feel our situation should have been handled better. We were not the only ones who experienced it as we heard other guests complaining about the same thing but on a different floor. When you are paying $215 and up for a room, I expect to be able to sleep in a peaceful environment.

We will be thinking twice about booking here for next year's run.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kimberly A

Dear Kimberly A,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay during race weekend in Ottawa.

Please accept our sincerest apologies if your stay was not up to what you have had experienced in the passed. I will certainly follow up with our night staff on how to deal with a noise complaint. I'm sure our associates did the best they could under the circumstances and the people they were dealing with.

I would like for you to contact me directly so we can discuss proper compensation for this past stay. Please call me on my direct line at 613 760-4778. I will be glad to discuss further.

Looking forward to speak to you,

Front Office Manager'

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Good location but service was weak. Called front desk regarding broken desk chair and never got a response nor was it replaced over 4 days. Also other guests were given my room number and tried to key in - no response. Electrical outlet at desk only works if overhead lights are on - ridiculous. The bar does excellent craft cocktails and bartenders and servers were great - maybe they should run the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Danny P, Front Office Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Steven S,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay.

Please accept my sincerest apologies if our offerring was did not satisfy your expectations. I am quite surprised that another guest was sent to your room. I am sure that once advised, our front office associates did everything to resolve and restore your secutity. I will certainly follow up with the Front Office Associates concerning this matter.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch with me should you want to discuss this matter further.

Regards,

613 760-4778

Reviewed 17 May 2014

The location is downtown, walking distance to everything. The room was clean, beds were ok and bathroom was good. The front desk staff we just ok, not very knowledgeable about events happening in the city. We were there for the Tulip festival. I would return to Ottawa, but I think I would try another hotel.

Room Tip: I had 4th Floor, no view, try much higher
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike M

Dear Mike M,

Thank you for your words concerning your recent stay.

I am surprised in reading that you find that the agents were not knowledgeble about the festival, as they all had information about hte different sites and the free transportation schedule.

Please accept my sincerest apologies if our agents were not able to answer your questions about this festival.

Regards,

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Staff and amenities were fine

Check in and out efficient

Booked Deluxe double and found the rooms incredibly small

Certainly not what we expected after researching this Hotel

Will not be staying at this hotel again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Danny P, Front Office Manager at Novotel Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear Buhhda,

Thank you for sharing your impressions about your recent stay at our hotel.

Please accept our sincerest apologies if the accommodations with two double beds did not fulfill your expectations.

I am sure you shared your impressions to our Guest Services Associates and they did their best to find you with alternate options.

If you would like to discuss further about your stay, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 613-760-4778.

Looking forward to hear from you.