“Had to change rooms and still had problems”

Embassy Hotel and Suites
Ranked #46 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Check in took 20 min , as I stood at the reception and waited for the front desk clerk to all on the phone about his personal medical issues. I wish him well, but when a customer is in front of you waiting to check in, get off the phone .
Then I went to my first room which was dingy and smelly, the sliding door had no locks. I was moved to a second room which was brighter and smelt better, but the screen on the sliding door was off the hinge and would not open. The hotel did take care of that quickly though.
Bathrooms were ughghg, around he outside of the bathtub at the floor level was a brownish black line, might be mild. Cracks in the walls , peeling paint in the rooms .
I travel to Ottawa on business every 4-6 weeks and can safely say I would not stay here again , even if the price was 1/2 of the going rate. Needs some work on customer service and basic upkeep .

Room Tip: Check out what else in available in the area.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Hot room 83 degrees, no a/c, screen door broken off, front desk says "dont worry about it" I asked what can you do he says "nothing" its not my hotel decor from 1981. I feel like I was stolen from. Econo lodge would be 3 steps up from this dump.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I have been staying at this centrally-located hotel on a weekly basis for two years. Over that period of time, the standards have dropped drastically. Leaky toilets, showers and taps are but a few of the problems prospective holidays-makers/ business people to the Capital are likely to meet upon their arrival. The worst of it is that management continues to ignore the problems in spite of ongoing complaints, which are often meet with impatience and even rudeness.

Beware!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Joel B
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Its dated and some of the furniture is tacky, but its clean, bright big rooms, a quiet bar-resto downstairs, and the location is fantastic for visiting Ottawa. If you need the Hilton or higher quality, avoid. But, its not a budget, run-down hotel. Its a bit older but the quality is sound; your wife will be ok staying there.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a 'nook', as in the bed is recessed so the room is a bit bigger. You get a b...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My partner and I were looking to stay downtown near a friend's apartment for NYE, which is how we ended up at the Embassy. I found it pricey for its outdated state, but guess prices were predictably jacked up for the holiday season.

The good: Our room was very spacious, newer TV, wi-fi was free and quick, hotel staff were polite and helpful, the kitchen was a reasonable size and had everything we needed to make dinner and etc. Things seemed clean overall. We knew not to have high expectations with this one, so I felt pretty satisfied.

The bad: Most of all, the EYESORE of the astroturf-green carpet (which was weirdly lumpy and coming up in certain places). Furniture was peeling and chipped. The bathroom has nicely updated counters, but our ceiling was falling in above the shower head and there were lots of cracks and rust around the door and baseboards. Blankets were pretty thin and full of cigarette burns.

Definitely not where I'd choose to stay given more options, but not the worst either.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This hotel is an older one, suite style. I ike that you have a kitchen with everything in a two bedroom room. But it needs an update, my bathroom door has some cracks on it, and the furniture is from the 70,s

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This hotel was ok, they said they had recently been renovated but I can tell you 1106 had not been renovated. The bathroom tub had rust, the door had cracks in it. And the coffee maker was full of coffee grounds that I could not clean out so housekeeping not great in that area. Towels were very thin. Still we would stay again if we were going to a function in that area as the hotel is $40 less expensive than the Holiday Inn(where we usually stay) and the room had a full kitchen, living room and balcony. For parking due to the reviews I had read we opted to park at
City Hall almost across the street. It was $3.75 1800 to 0600 and due to it being a weekend $3.75 0600 to 1800 so way less expensive than hotel parking if you can get it.
Check in staff very very helpful but at checkout when I talked about the coffee maker, tv not working(they did fix that) and one lamp not working(guy could not figure out what was wrong with that) well she just did not care. We were only there one night so not a big deal, for us that evening was all about location.
So not the best hotel in Ottawa, but for what we wanted it was ok

Room Tip: no pool here and exercise room was tiny and in parking area
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends