“Discreetly Superb”

Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
London, England, United Kingdom
“Discreetly Superb”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We have stayed at this location at least a dozen times now and have enjoyed every stay. The thing we like most is that is almost like your own private flat. The reception is on the 4th floor so you can enter/exit the hotel in total privacy. The rooms are very well decorated and the beds very comfortable. There are also kitchen facilities in the room which come in very handy when the weather isn't too welcoming. We have used the free breakfast facility and it is very generous and the seating is very comfortable.

The location is very near the parliament and sparks mall. It is a serenely, quiet location even during the working week. There are shops nearby which provide most needs. There is also a Tim Horton's next door which you can access from the downstairs lobby.

Room Tip: For extra comfort, select a room with a King sized bed.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear Colin D,

We are pleased to see that you were able to return to The Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa recently!

It is a pleasure to receive you kind words and praise regarding our location and guest rooms. We do our best to ensure that we provide a service which can make our guests feel relaxed during their stay. As a frequent guest, your comments are incredibly important to our long term success.

We hope to see you back in the nation’s capital again in the future! If you ever have any concerns or questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

douglas.crosbie@marriott.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 11 June 2013

The hotel is a bit expensive, but the extra price more than makes up for its fantastic location. Most downtown attractions are walking distance. The breakfast provided is sumptuous, even for vegetarians. Our room had a small kitchen, which was very useful.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear AmitJainpc,

I am happy to see that you enjoyed our incredibly central downtown location and stay at The Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa.

As with any hotel, rates will vary based on time of year and expected demand. I am sorry you felt the price seemed high, but I do believe you see the value in the location which is great. We strive to offer the best value that we can for our guests, and would appreciate any suggestions you may have to improve this in the future. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me at the below number or e-mail address.

I hope that you choose our hotel again in the future for another stay in Ottawa.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Spacious rooms, comfortable bed and with all the necessary equipment in the kitchen. There were refurbishments when I was there, which detracted a little. However, convenient and pleasant. A decent breakfast is included, which is always helpful.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear FE2609,

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa.

I am disappointed to hear that our renovations detracted from your stay, but once completed; we will be able to provide a more welcoming presence on the main floor.

We hope that you will consider us again in the future so you may enjoy our new entrance and lobby area. If you have any questions or comments you wish to speak directly to me about, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the below number or e-mail address.

Atlanta
Reviewed 7 June 2013

My wife and I stayed here May 31-June 4, 2013. We very much enjoyed our stay. The room was clean, spacious and quiet. Travelers should be aware of a couple of things:

1) We arrived late at night to find that the entrance to the building was inaccessible due to construction. Signage was poor so we had to drive around the block once before we noticed a sign for 'Parking.' The parking garage was accessed from a small, narrow alley off Laurier Street. We pulled up to the parking lot entrance and pressed the call button and were admitted to the parking garage.

2) The parking garage is small and tight. I do not believe that a large SUV such as a Chevy Suburban or Ford Excursion would be able to access the garage. Clearance is only 6'2" and it's very tight in there.

3) Check-in is on the fourth floor of the building.

4) One must take an elevator to the building's main lobby, then another elevator to the hotel check-in on the fourth floor.

5) Canadian taxes and parking ($21/day) brought our room total from $249/night to $309/night.

We certainly were not put out by any of the above considerations. One must be prepared to adapt to unforeseen and changing circumstances. We unfortunately didn't get to try the free breakfast either as we went out each morning to meet family for breakfast. Staff were polite, professional and helpful.

We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for corner suites.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear BucolicBuffalo,

I hope you enjoyed the city of Ottawa as much as your stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Downtown Ottawa.

I am pleased to see your kind words about the staff and that you would consider us again for a future visit.

Your comments are extremely helpful for future training of our staff, and I am happy to hear that none of these concerns were enough to disappoint you. We have realized during this construction project, the importance of proper communication to all guests about any disruptions that may occur. We are always looking for ways to make the welcome to the property more inviting and relaxing for our guests. These comments will be shared with our guest service team to show how crucial it is to provide all the important information leading up to our guest’s arrival.

If you would like to discuss any of these details in person, please do not hesitate to contact me at the number or e-mail below. I hope to see you again at the hotel in the future!

New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I stayed here for four nights with my wife and young children while visiting Ottawa for Race Weekend. I was extremely satisfied with my stay and couldn't imagine staying anywhere else next time I visit Ottawa. First off, the room is the size of a small European country. When you have a 3 year old and a 1 year old having space for them to walk around and play is important. Having the separate living room area if one child is up and one is sleeping is very helpful. Not to mention the convenience of having a refrigerator, kitchenette, and free wifi. The internet was never slow or non-responsive. I thought the breakfast had a lot of choices and was better than the typical free-breakfast-in-a-hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful- we had a problem with our TV which was fixed right away. The parking was easy and convenient, yes its a small garage, but it was fine and beat having to deal with a valet! It was also easy to get on and off the highway to go to outlying areas. Considering the rate, I can't imagine why you would stay anywhere else in downtown (and for Race Weekend you are a block from the starting line). I have only two complaints about the hotel: 1) No in-room safe. I really prefer to have one when traveling, especially in an urban area and when I am traveling with passports and different currencies. 2) The pool is not very child friendly- while its not deep, it doesn't get shallower than 3.5 ft and the steps into it are narrow and not conducive to toddlers wading or using the pool. I didnt come to Ottawa to swim, but had I known the pool configuration, I wouldn't have "talked up" the pool on the days right before our trip to my kids. Even with those criticisms, this would be our go to choice for our next Ottawa visit.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Joshdent
Dear Joshdent,

I am happy to hear that you were able to take in and enjoy the race weekend here in Ottawa!

It is always a pleasure to hear kind words about our property and staff. At our property, we believe that you should have all the comforts of home when travelling for business or pleasure.

To address your concern about the safe, I am unsure if you were aware of the availability of our secure safety deposit boxes at the reception desk. I understand that an in-room safe is more convenient; however our safety deposit boxes are a secure alternative.

I will suggest that we make it clearer on the internet about our pool depth, and I am sorry to hear that it was a disappointment. I remember how important a pool was when I travelled as a child, and I can appreciate the difficulty this may have caused for you and your family.

I am glad to hear that you would be willing to choose our hotel again! If you ever need anything, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Arriving from Vancouver for a four day conference in downtown Ottawa. I, for some strange reason, thought I had booked the Residence Inn which is about 5 minutes from the Convention Centre. Unfortunately, I had booked the Courtyard Marriott which is a 20 minute taxi drive drive from the convention centre (Yikes).... The unbelievably efficient Megan at reception at the Residence went out of her way to help me and though I had to spend the night in other hotel, she managed to get me into the Residence Inn the next day for two more nights. I cannot tell you how well I was treated (Luv ya Megan)...... .

As for the hotel, the staff were great and very professional. Rooms were cavernous and my suite was clean and airy. The remote control on the TV had a life of its own but now I am being picky. The rate, for the size of the suite, was excellent and breakfast was very good with a fine selction. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw that there was a "Timmy's" next door.. and I mean "Next.Door". Does it get any better than that?...

For those new to Otttawa, the Residence Inn is perfectly siutated and within staggering distance of the Byward Market where all the restaraunts and night life are. Lots to do and I recommend you walk along the trails behind the parliament building...

A heartfelt thanks to the staff at Residence Inn for coming to the rescue of this weary traveller and I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat. This will definitely be my hotel of choice when I visit the beautiful city of Ottawa again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mista_DW
Dear mista_DW

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa for your visit to our nation’s capital!

Having recently taken on the role of Guest Services Manager at the property, I am thrilled to see you kind words from your stay in May. It is only through feedback that our property and any hotel are able to continue to improve their level of service and product quality. Our staff at the hotel are going through continuous training to improve their service skills and they genuinely care for our guests. I have passed along the kind words to Megan.

I am happy to hear that you would choose our hotel again in the future. If you ever have any questions at all about your stay, or an upcoming reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This hotel is very modern and clean. Check-in was quick and the reception staff very informative about what there is to do in Ottawa. The underground parking is easy accessible and plenty of parking available. The rooms are very spacious; it's nice to have a seperate shower and tub. Room service was prompt and curtious.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Naturaparkfan
Sarah B, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Greetings Naturaparkfan,

Thank you for the pleasant read! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us. At the Residence Inn, all team members want to ensure our guests have a great experience. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Warmest Regards,