“Great location - we'll stay again.”

Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown
Ranked #16 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Our stay was great. I chose the Residence Inn due to its location, room size/layout and included breakfast and my husband and I were pleased with all 3. The location was great - a short walk from the university and Parliament Hill.
Our room was huge, clean and had a perfect layout. Our bedroom was separated from the living room with a door and our suite also included a pull-out bed in the living room. The suite also included a fairly spacious bathroom, dining area and separate kitchen with appliances and cooking utensils. Although we didn't have a long visit in Ottawa, the hotel would have been excellent for a long stay and the large fridge was very handy for holding dinner left-overs and our food/drink cooler (from the long drive there and home).
There's also a spacious breakfast room on the main floor with a complimentary buffet breakfast that offered a lot to choose from.
We stayed during a very busy weekend and the hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming.
We'll definitely plan to stay at the Residence Inn again during our next visit to Ottawa!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Douglas C, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear newtraveler0910,

I am very happy to hear you had a great stay with us here at the Residence Inn by Marriott in downtown Ottawa. It is always a pleasure to hear about people who enjoyed our city, and in part a stay at our hotel!

We cater very well to many types of guests. Long term business, short term vacations, large families and any combination in between! We are proud to have some of the largest suites in the city, and we work very hard at keeping everything in great condition to ensure our guests are as comfortable as they would be in their own homes.

I do hope we get the chance to see you again. As a few of my past responses have noted… we are very proud to say that as of the end of August, 2014 the entire hotel will have their beds replaced. We got our first shipment already, and are patiently awaiting to next arrival at the end of the week. We are committed to a comfortable night’s sleep!

Please feel welcomed to reach out to me for any assistance you may need in the future. It is always great to hear from our guests both past and future.

Doug Crosbie

Reviewed 26 July 2014

This hotel is perfectly situated in the downtown core. Walking distance to most downtown amenities.
Staff are helpful and great for directions.
The complimentary breakfast is the same standard as all other properties.
Rooms are large yet in need of some renovations. Some rooms have a washer / dryer in them which is a bonus.
One of my favourite hotels in Ottawa

Room Tip: Book early this property fills up fast
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear cuddlypolarbear,

I couldn’t express how thankful I am for your kind words. Your comments are excellent information for a fellow traveler who make be looking for some advice on where to stay.

We have a great location in a great city. Walking to most attractions is very possible from our location, and Parliament is just up the street. With the Mosaika sound and light show starting recently, this is certainly a great benefit.

We are always looking for ways to improve, and just yesterday we received our first shipment of new mattresses for our guest rooms. This project will be completed by the end of the August, and the entire hotel will have new beds. I hope should you return, you will enjoy this new feature!

Please feel welcomed to contact me for planning a future stay, or any information about Ottawa. I am always happy to help!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The location of the hotel is great. It is in walking distance of the Parliament Hill. The room we had was really big and clean. It even had a kitchen.
In our arrangement breakfast was included. The variety of the food was perfect.
If you come with a car, they have a garage in the hotel, which costs around 20 CAD per night.
Also if you stay on the weekend, it is cheaper than under the week.
The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Douglas C, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear PatriciaSchwab,

Thank you very much for sharing some great information about your stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott in downtown Ottawa. I am pleased to hear that our location and large suites helped you enjoy your stay!

Breakfast is always included at the Residence Inn here in Ottawa, and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed a great start to your day by utilizing this service.

At times, like you suggested, our rates can be lower during the weekend than they are during the week. Weekends are a great time to find some vacation deals in Ottawa, after the hustle and bustle of a busy work week.

Should you ever need anything regarding a future stay, I would be happy to help. Please feel welcomed to contact me for more information.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Family of 5 had a wedding to attend in Wakefield, QC. I choose the location because it was central to everything. I have to say the location was perfect. It took us only 10-15 mins to travel to anywhere we wanted to go to in Ottawa or Gatineau. The best part was that it was free parking on the street on weekends. I going to pay the hotel parking fee but realize when I got to the hotel that it was free. During the day parking can be found pretty close to the hotel and at night it was not a problem at all.

To me the hotel seem a bit dated but it was clean and comfortable. The breakfast area was very busy.

The only issue was the fire alarm went off around 12:30 am on Saturday morrning. Found out that someone pulled the alarm on the 5th floor. I did not have a problem because it was out of the control of the hotel but other guests were very angry over the matter. Come over people, just because something happen at the hotel (out of control of the hotel), don't jump all over them for freebies.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Douglas C, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear cgarn,

I am happy to hear you had a great stay in Ottawa on your visit to attend the wedding in Wakefield. I hope that you and your family have lots of stories to share from your weekend away!

A great tip to fellow travelers about the availability of Free Parking in Ottawa on the streets on weekends! Most weekends this is available, but please do pay attention to signage when parking on the streets. With many festivals, races and events in Ottawa, there are many times where parking is restricted on many streets.

I am very sorry about the fire alarm that occurred, but we are all very happy to hear it was a false alarm. We appreciate the support, and thank you for your understanding.

Please feel welcomed to contact me directly should you ever need assistance for an upcoming visit, or if you have any questions about Ottawa. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Based upon the reviews and the location, we selected this facility for our five evening vacation in the Ottawa area. We were very pleased. Upon arrival, the staff at the desk was very accommodating for our oversized 4Runner with a Rocket Box and receiver hitch bicycle rack. Every staff member we encountered during the week was friendly and helpful.

This hotel is extremely bicycle friendly. We were offered the choice of storing our bicycles in either our room or in the locked storage room behind the front desk. Both worked well for us. The street in front of the hotel has bicycle only lanes, separated from traffic, and providing direct access to much of Ottawa's 300 km of bicycle trails.

The complimentary breakfast was consistently good. We availed ourselves of the option of forgoing the daily linen change for a five dollar coupon we used at the Starbucks at the end of the block. During our stay, there was a complimentary, light evening "meal."

Our studio room was very clean with a comfortable bed, small sofa, and micro- kitchenette. No stove, but adequate for us.
As noted by other reviewers, this is an older facility (reportedly 15 years). The only drawback we noticed was a slightly loud air conditioning unit. But we found that to be acceptable, especially considering the low cost, location, and great staff. This is the only reason I have for four rather than five stars.

We would decidedly stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Douglas C, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear PennaHiker,

It was a pleasure to have you with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott in downtown Ottawa recently!

You have touched on a number of our strong points here at the hotel and in Ottawa. The city is fantastic for biking! As a biker myself, I love to see our onsite bicycle storage full at all times! We also have some basic tools available for guests should minor repairs be necessary.

I am happy that you got time to enjoy our breakfast, and were able to join us for one of our social nights which we host 2 – 3 nights a week.

Should you ever need anything, or would like to discuss an upcoming stay, I would love to hear from you. You can reach me directly at 613-231-2020, ext. 4004

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

This is simply home away from home. I stayed for 1 complete month in May-June timeframe and was completely floored by hospitality of the staff. The front-desk was courteous enough to change my room towards Laurier Avenue side which has a nice downtown view. The rooms were kept neat and clean. Breakfast has lot of variety for you to explore and they also serve evening snacks twice a week during weekdays. Overall a very nice centrally located property !!!

Stayed: May 2014
Douglas C, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Madhawan,

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Our goal is to make everyone feel like we are their home away from home, and it is always great to hear from guests who experienced just that. We work very hard to keep everyone comfortable and relaxed so that they can focus on their work, vacation, or whatever else has brought them to our great city!

We do hope to have you back again to the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa in the future!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Was here for a business trip for 4 nights in June 2014. The hotel is in a great location, just a half block from Elgin and a 5 minute walk to the Parliament and Spark street. Rooms are all suites with full kitchens. There is ample space. It was just me on this trip, so I didn't use the kitchen, nor the living room which is spacious as well. The bed was comfortable and the hot breakfast included with your stay is while not gourmet, certainly better than what you will see included at most hotels. If you need some extra space, or just need a good location at a reasonable price, this is a good option.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
N R, General Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hi Jordan,
Thank you for you your recent stay with us. We are pleased to note that the services at the Hotel met your needs . Please do stay with us again, should you visit Ottawa again.

Thanks and regards,