“Very nice hotel!”

Hampton Inn by Hilton Ottawa
Ranked #12 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My wife and I have stayed in several hotels in Ottawa during the five years our son was at the U of O but the Hampton Inn was the best place during our recent visit (July 28.) The room was spacious and clean. The complimentary breakfast was good with numerous items available. The secure underground parking area was appreciated as our vehicle was broken into elsewhere on a previous visit to Ottawa.
Will definitely stay here again!

1  Thank maf3065
Valentina G, Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear maf3065,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on your stay at the Hampton Inn Ottawa! We are very glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel, services and location - sorry to hear your previous stay in Ottawa was not so enjoyable, as your car was broken into. I am glad your last stay was a lot better!

We wish all the best to your son at the university, and hope to be able to welcome you and the family soon again!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is a nice hotel. The rooms were lovely. Unfortunately we were put into an area where there was no internet and this was very frustrating. Nothing could be done to help us. Plus the restaurant was being renovated. We had to hunt for the area being used as a restaurant. Very very inconvenient and awkward.

I would recommend the hotel as long as you make sure you are in an area that has internet!

Room Tip: Make sure you have internet!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Carolyn B,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review of your stay at our hotel! I am very glad to hear you enjoyed our facilities and services, but am a bit confused about your comment on breakfast area - we have renovated and opened newly finished lobby in January. You mentioned that restaurant was being renovated during your stay in June. We do not have a restaurant, only lobby area where breakfast is served. This area has not been closed since January. Please feel free to contact us directly should you wish to discuss this any further.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back soon - whenever your travels bring you back to Canada and Ottawa!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My family and I stayed for three nights in 2 queen room and I'm very pleased with our stay.
It has a friendly staff, good full breakfast, coffee and tea in the ground floor all day.
The room was spacious, even the bathroom, bed comfortable, they change your linens every day. My kids and me also enjoyed a swimming pool and a hot tub.
We had a great time, I recommend this hotel to everybody and we definitely will choose it when we will be in Ottawa next time!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Valentina G, Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear luba072,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review of your stay at the Hampton Inn Ottawa! We are very glad you and the family enjoyed your stay with us and will be very happy to welcome you back!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Having stayed at this Hampton Inn many years ago on business for 3 to 4 weeks, I decided to book into this Hotel again for the August Civic Long weekend (Aug 01-04/2014) away. Throughout my current 3 night stay the staff were friendly and helpfull, and the rooms and Hotel were clean and well maintained to the standard that I would expect of a Hampton Inn or similar class of Hotel that would cater to a business traveler. Unfortunately, however the good comparison ends there.

I had originally booked this Hotel via the Hilton/Hampton Inn website for $136.00/night for the 1st two nights, and for $119.00 on the 3rd night. I was surprised when I saw a fee for $4.08 for each night (3 x $4.08 = $12.24 in addition to a further 13% tax (in Ontario it is called the HST or Harmonized Sales Tax) being charged on top of the $136.00 room rate. This worked out to an additional 3% on top of the room charge, even before tax. THIS WAS NOT DISCLOSED ON MY RESERVE CONFIRMATION EMAIL THAT I RECEIVED FROM HAMPTON INN's RESERVATION CENTRE! At check-out I noticed this on my Room Bill, and since it is not a legal tax required by the Government (Federal, Provincial, or Municipal) I asked them to remove it, but the HOTEL REFUSED. Unfortunately they already had my credit card information, so I will have to try to dispute this with my Credit Card carrier. However, my self being from Ontario I feel that this Hampton Inn is ripping me off, along with the Ottawa Gatineau Hotel Association who encouraged this additional 3% room fee masquaraded as a tax on the Hotel Bill, which it collects from Member Hotels (Refer to the "Ottawa Destination marketing fee checks back in to capital" Article from the Ottawa Business Journal, dated Feb 11, 2014).

Anyways, as long as Hotels in Ottawa continue to collect this 3% fee that to the average tourist from outside of Ontario, or Canada may not realize is not a tax, I would encourage all tourists coming to visit Ottawa to visit other city in Canada, that does not try to collect such a fee from it's guests.

Wayne R.
Mississauga, ON

Room Tip: Avoid the 2nd Floor they put the breakfeast buffet in the 2nd floor meeting roooms, caused a lot of...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wayne R

Dear Wayne R,

Thank you for submitting your feedback on your stay at our hotel! We are very glad you enjoyed our services and facilites!

I am sorry you feel so strongly about the DMF, even after it was explained to you and offered to have it removed. Our Reservations Manager, who remembers you well, had offered to remove it from your bill, but you refused. She explained that almost all hotels in Ottawa-Gatineau area, with exception of three or four, charge this fee (which is not a tax), and that hotels in other big cities charge it also. Our front office clerk Claire had shown you her bill from Quebec City where she was also charged this fee. I personally have paid homeless tax in Miami, FL, as a tourist.

We have spent good three weeks with the brand trying to even incorporate DMF in confirmations which are emailed to guests - as there are more than 2,000 Hamptons worldwide, it is impossible to show individual country, state or city taxes and/or fees.

We will be glad to welcome you back, should you decide to return to Ottawa.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Hampton Inn is a great hotel. Our room was very spacious (so spacious that we were able to fit a cot in the room as well) and the bathroom was double size. This room also included a kitchenette. Very clean hotel throughout and the breakfast was good. They must have anticipated a busy weekend and included a breakfast on the main and second floor. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Valentina G, Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear karmar1965,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review and share your thougths on your stay at the Hampton Inn Ottawa! We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and are glad you found our services, facilities and location suit your needs.

I can see you were here on one of our very busy weekends: yes, we do open up our meeting rooms upstairs for breakfast overflow on those days, to make sure everyone can get breakfast and actually sit and eat it without being rushed by waiting people.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Good service, always met with a smile but it definitely needs updating. They have updated the front desk, entry area and eating area but have left out the most important...the rooms. It is the old Hampton Inn style and look. If you are looking to spend your time near the capital than this is not the place for you but if you are touring all of Ottawa than the location of this Hotel would be a good choice.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear ChezQuebec,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review of your stay at our hotel! We are very glad you loved our service - our staff works very hard on making each and every guest feel at home and welcome!

You are right, we have updated public areas of the hotel, and now we will be moving into guest rooms - we have already changed most of the mattresses in rooms, and very soon will be updating all king rooms with brand new pull out sofas. Stay tuned for more updates, they are coming soon...

We appreciate your feedback very much, please feel free to contact us directly should you wish to discuss anything further.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

On July 4 I wrote a letter to General Manager Nuala Dinardo expressing some concerns that my husband and I had with regard to the suite we rented Canada Day weekend. (Dishwasher...no dishes; microwave...no dishes... cutlery, glasses, cups - nada). As of today (July 31) I have not had the common courtesday of a reply. The staff finally provided us each with one set of dishes....no room for more than one meal! We had a dishwasher in the suite...but no soap. All very strange. But strangest of all is the fact that the hotel has not responded. Tells me all I need to know about their customer services.

Jean Crowell, Lewis Lake, NS

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
5  Thank jeanc c
Valentina G, Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Jeanc c,

Thank you for your comments on your stay at the Hampton Inn Ottawa! I have just called our General Manager, who is currently on holidays, to verify whether she has received your comment either via email or mail. She has not received anything - she will be back from holidays on August 11th, and would appreciate if you could either provide your contact info or call her directly at 1-877-701-1281.

In the meantime, I would like to try to shed some light on dishes and soap - Hamptons, by brand standards, do not provide any dishes or soap. Hampton is not a suite hotel, as, for example, Homewood Suites. Hamptons are not required to provide microwave or fridge in rooms - we do provide both to ensure comfort of our guests. By standards, Hamptons are not allowed china dishes or cutlery in rooms, or regular glasses or cups: only 100% biodegradable paper is used. Until brand standards change, we cannot change what is provided in rooms. Our guests are more than welcome to express their thoughts to the brand.

As you are not a HHonors member, we cannot update your profile with your preferences, but please feel free to let us know, at time of booking, what they would be: we will be more than happy to provide any answers to questions you might have.