“Great hotel with exceptional service”
Review of The Westin Ottawa

The Westin Ottawa
Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a week-end business trip. I traveled with a grand-mother and an infant.
We stayed in a "deluxe" room on one of the top floors. The views and the room were both gorgeous. The room was spacious and had all the amenities you need (recycling basket, safe, fridge, great bathroom lighting).
There were a few minor details that explain my 4 stars (instead of 5) BUT these are minor details and would not prevent me from recommending this hotel or staying here again:

Room service (here I am referring to the quality of food and not the actual service) is really mediocre .... definitely not up to Westin standards. Very disappointing.
Not enough drawers/closet space (this did not bother us as we were there 2 nights and basically lived out of our suitcases)
Bathroom quite small

Before I end this review, I must say that the staff at the Westin Ottawa is exceptional: very friendly and courteous. We were travelling with an infant and they made our stay effortless (crib, microwave, bedding ....)

I did not use the spa/pool/workout facilities.

2  Thank smallfamily
Write a ReviewReviews (2,191)

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Without a doubt, the personnel at the Westin are the most friendly and helpful that I have ever experienced. Often they went far out of their way to make my stay memorable. If you want to be thoroughly spoiled, do try the Westin!
As someone environmentally concerned, I also appreciated the Green Choice --- and one is even rewarded for using it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Rideau Canal.
1  Thank Harry R
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Dear HarryR,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay with us! I am absolutely thrilled to hear you speak so highly of our associates here at The Westin Ottawa. We believe that our unparalleled staff and guest service is what truly sets us apart, and I am delighted that our personnel went out of their way to make you feel special.

I look forward to the opportunity to warmly welcome you back to The Westin Ottawa in the future.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

This hotel is showing signs of its aging, but still a quality property. Great views from the upper floor room! The room is "vanilla", no character, but the heavenly bed is indeed heavenly. Enjoyed the large shower with good water pressure.
Our server for breakfast has been with the hotel for 28 years, and was very pleasant as were all the staff.
Ideal location for enjoying the sights and sounds of Ottawa!

Room Tip: Upper floors have great views!
1  Thank Kevan R

Dear yvrbrit2,

Thank you for your comments! It is great to hear that you enjoyed the view from your room, and that the heavenly bed and heavenly shower were to your liking. During our recent guestroom renovation, we designed the rooms to have a streamlined, clutter free feel with minimalist decorative touches. Although I am sorry to hear that you were not impressed with our décor, I am very pleased to hear that you did enjoy your interactions with our staff members, and that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location. I do hope you will choose to stay with us once again at The Westin Ottawa.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

If you’re visiting downtown Ottawa, this has to be one of the most convenient locations to stay at. This hotel is attached to the Rideau Center which happens to be a large Mall in the middle of downtown and you don’t even have to go outside to come in, there are doors that connect to the mall from the hotel, what more do you want, if it rains you were never outside, there are restaurants in the mall and a fancy restaurant within the hotel as well. Also it is close to the ByWard market, Parliament hill and walking distance to the Art Museum and many other touristic locations downtown; it’s like the perfect location.

The hotel itself is very clean, very luxurious looking, luxurious enough for people to host their weddings here; the staff is very friendly. The beds are awesome and I slept like a baby. Not to mention the view.

Tip: If you’re getting a deluxe room, try asking for a corner room, especially one that faces Parliament Hill. The corner rooms have large windows and the corner itself is a large window and the view is amazing, of course the higher up you are the more you can see.

WiFi was not included when I went, there was a fee. However I used my phones WiFi for my laptop when I needed it. At times there are promotions where WiFi is included so make sure to search for a deal that includes it if you really need it.

Breakfast is also not included; unless you get a package that includes it. However with the amount of options you have for heading out to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner I don’t see an issue here.

This hotel is also equipped with a very nice GYM, indoor heated saltwater pool, SPA, squash courts, Business center, Restaurants and I am not sure what else.

I guess what it comes down to is the enormous convenience where this hotel is located, that the rooms are nice and clean and the service is excellent.

Room Tip: Corner delux rooms or suits are better, the corner of the room is also a window, and the higher you...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Hands down the best hotel I've stayed at.
Amazing service, very clean, free WiFi.
Very luxurious.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Kobbi G
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Overall the hotel is great: perfect location, room with view, spacious and modern rooms, great bathroom. The staff hotel is also very courteous.
But there is one major downside for an hotel of this type: The noise level between the corridors and the room. My room was next to the elevator and all night I could hear the elevator "bip". Then I was hearing people getting out of the elevator as if they were in my room.
This is too bad because again appart from that this hotel is just perfect.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank g40g60

Dear g40g60,

Thank you for reviewing The Westin Ottawa. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your guestroom, as well as the interactions you had with our staff members during your stay. I am however sorry to hear that you were disrupted the sounds you heard in the corridor due to your room’s proximity to the elevator. I would encourage you to inform our reservations team that you are sensitive to noise when booking in the future so we can ensure that you are placed in a room that is in the quietest area of the hotel.

Thank you once again for your comments, and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future!

Reviewed 28 May 2012

This is our fourth visit to the Westin, Ottawa and overall the experience has remained very good. The facility is showing a bit of wear - there's peeling paint in the bathroom, escalators not working, and because of it being a busy weekend, a bit noisier than I remember. However, the service and staff remain top notch and who can complain about the view!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frank J
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Dear FrankJ,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Although I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed our beautiful views and found our staff to be accommodating, I am troubled to read that your guestroom was not 100% up to the high standards we set for ourselves at Westin Hotels and Resorts. I encourage you to reach out to our Director of Engineering (jeff.white@westin.com) and share the number of the room you stayed in so his team can ensure the proper repairs are made immediately.

Thank you once again for your comments.