“fantastic business trip”

Ranked #6 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“fantastic business trip”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My trip started well. Upon checking in I was told that I was the SPG member of the day and was given an upgrade to a suite. It ws ahuge with 2 full rooms, massive closet space, 2 or 3 TV's a tub + huge shower and a great view! My only regret was that I was in town for only about 40 hours so I didn't have the chance to use most of the amenities.

the location is hard to beat in Ottawa. It's right across the street from the Parliament buildings, a 5 minute walk from Sparks St. which good little shopping + restaurant area, and a 5 minute walk in a different direction from York St which is full of restaurants + bars. also, in a different direction, about a 5 minute walk from the University of Ottawa.

Room Tip: I had a free upgrade to a suite. It was excellent.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Mike D,

Thank you for your comments! We are absolutely delighted that you had such an excellent stay with us here at the Westin Ottawa. We always want to provide our guests with a unique and special experience, so when we get great feedback like yours we know we’re meeting our goals!

We hope that when you join us again you have the time to fully experience the hotel as well as the amazing restaurants, shopping, history and culture surrounding us.

I hope to see you again soon.

Ross M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We were impressed with the room which had been updated. I remember the Westin as an upscale hotel with the softest, best linens and towels. Well, the towels felt like they had been taken off the clothesline...not fluffy. The room amenities were poor average and not good enough....the shampoo, etc.
What I found incredible was the charge for the use of room wifi. Neanderthal. In 2014, wifi should be available throughout the hotel.
These details are what makes a hotel experience more enjoyable, more of an "ahhhh" feeling. My feeling was more like, "meh". Too bad.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marcia s
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear marcia s,

Thank you for your feedback. We are well known for our Heavenly experience and receive a lot of positive feedback regarding our bed, bath, and spa products. I am truly sorry that you had the opposite experience and I will definitely be taking this up with our team to further input procedures to ensure quality control when it comes to these products.

You also identified that you weren’t happy with our internet charges, I am going to take these comments to our next operations meeting and discuss. Thank you again for your feedback, as much as we like to hear that our guests have had an excellent experience with us; we realize that receiving this type of information is just as much a benefit as it prompts us to review our current practices and stay on top of our game.

I hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Virginia
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Recently spent just one night here and everything was as I expected from Westin standards. Moreover, this property's proximity to downtown tourist attractions meant easy access to restaurants and shops. Found the hotel workout facility to be above average in terms of choices available, to include a pool. Interiors were well decorated and maintained. Service was predictably reliable. Great for business travel. Would return any day.

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My fiance and I booked a last minute room reservation at the Westin Hotel in Ottawa after celebrating our engagement party with our families down in the market. Melissa from Front Desk promptly arranged the booking then she congratulated me and assured me that the room would be available upon our arrival. Later that night when we checked into our room, we were pleasantly surprised by the breath taking view of our room. Melissa had booked for us a corner room on the 20th floor with one window facing the parliament and the other window facing the Byward market. We were also pleased to find an amenity (champagne & chocolate dipped strawberries) waiting for us and card with a message from the Westin staff that concluded with "...thank you for sharing this celebration with the Westin team."

Thank you Melissa from Front Desk and thank you Carly from Service Express for all your hospitality and for making our stay most memorable.

Matt & Sophia Sellers

Room Tip: Choose a corner room that faces the Parliament from one side and the Byward market on the other side...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Sophie D,

Congratulations again from the Westin Ottawa team and thank you for your feedback! At the Westin Ottawa we feel very special when guests choose to celebrate here. Most, if not all of our team, would tell you that it’s truly one of the best parts of our jobs. We are so happy that you had an excellent stay with us and wish you and Matt a lifetime of happiness!

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Toronto
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Pros:
-functional, cosy accommodation
-very comfortable beds
-attractive lobby
-central location
-mall accessibility
-helpful concierge
-delicious buffet breakfast

Cons:
-good but overpriced food (ex: $5 for a latte and $9 for a small cup of berries
-charged $1.75 for every local call made
-chairs in the room were dirty
-charged for parking at hotel
-defunct ice machine

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Westin Ottawa. Although the service was generally good, our biggest complaint was just that we felt nickelled and dimed with hidden fees and sneaky charges.

• Stayed February 2014
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Alexandra H,

Thank you for your feedback. I’m happy to hear that you had a comfortable and cozy stay with us at the Westin Ottawa, we are proud of our Heavenly beds and the great sleep that our guests have in them.

You identified a list of cons primarily revolving around our pricing. We make a point of being transparent about all of our pricing and charges so it’s unfortunate to hear differently, this is something we will definitely look over again to make sure that we are being as clear as possible. We view feedback as a gift, and as an opportunity to work towards improving the service and experience we provide, so thank you again for yours.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

US
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This is my 3rd stay at this hotel. Its location is perfect, the rooms are very spacious, clean, and well decorated; truly 4 stars. The pool is very nice and kept clean; great for families! The breakfast buffet at the restaurant is really nice (although a bit expensive).

The only "problem" (although minor) for this particular stay was that both at check-in and check-out there was only one person at the reception desk, there was thus a long line-up and it took quite a bit of time to complete check-in.

Overall a very pleasant stay as usual, my favorite hotel in Ottawa.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JoeDassin1
Dear JoeDassin1,

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant experience staying with us. We spend a lot of time and designate a lot of focus on our guest rooms so that our guests feel as comfortable as they would at home. Hearing that you enjoyed our space makes us very happy!

I am sorry to hear that you experienced a longer than usual wait time at the front desk, I know that can be frustrating, especially after traveling. We try our best to staff according to our occupancy levels but this is something we are continuously looking to better, so thank you again for your feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back for your fourth stay, hopefully soon!

Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

A great choice in downtown Ottawa. Just park your car and walk everywhere. First class workout equipment. Nice pool. Very kid friendly. We were there for the Easter Sunday brunch which was excellent. Lots of chocolate eggs for the kids. The rooms are spacious, clean,with lots of towels. Staff is friendly and helpful.

Stayed April 2014
Dear Matty348,

Thank you for your comments. I am thrilled that you had an excellent stay with us over the Easter weekend. Our Daly’s team worked very hard to put on an exceptional Easter brunch for all of our guests, so you can be sure I will be passing on your feedback.

Thank you for making our day!

I look forward to welcoming you back.