“Location and Staff were great...elevators not so much during busy times”
Review of The Westin Ottawa

The Westin Ottawa
Ranked #8 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Westin Ottawa during the Ottawa Race Weekend. I was there attending a conference that was taking place at the hotel. The staff were great, and the location is great being located near Parliament Hill and the Byward Market. I had a great view of Parliament Hill and the Canal, and the room was very spacious and well maintained. This hotel is attached to the Rideau Centre Shopping Mall, which is very convenient, especially when the weather is bad. However, when there was a rush of race participants going to/from their rooms the elevators were extremely slow. They have a different system for their elevators where the elevator is assigned to you based on the floor you are going to so I don't know if it is that or if it is just because they were sold out. Luckily during this time I was just going from the lobby to the meeting rooms so I used the escalators.

I would stay here again if in this area, you just need to be mindful that if it is busy with an event that has rushes of people, you may be waiting for the elevators a little longer than usual.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CdnTravelGal79
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear CdnTravelGal79,

Thank you for your comments. We are so happy that you had an excellent stay with us and hope that you were able to venture out and experience the Byward Market and take a tour of Parliament.

You noted that the elevators were extremely slow. Typically our average wait time would be 10 to 15 seconds for an elevator. Given that most of our guests were participating in the races and a huge amount of people were using the elevators all at the same time, the wait times increased significantly. We realize this was an inconvenience to many and would like to sincerely apologize.

We can’t wait to see you again!

There are newer reviews for The Westin Ottawa

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was surprised at how much everything cost in this location, I found it odd that I had to pay for parking and wifi on top of the price of the room as well as no breakfast. It was clean and the beds were very comfortable but the extras just went well above my cost expectations

Room Tip: If you have the cash to spend then go for it, the beds are really comfy, the massage therapy was a n...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joclyan
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Joclyan,

Thank you for your comments, we view feedback here as a gift and a way to constantly enhance our services. I will definitely be bringing the subject of cost expectations to the table at our next Operations meeting because we value your opinion.

I’m glad that you found our beds comfortable and had a good night’s sleep.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Funny how one badly conceptualized item can ruin an otherwise nice experience. When people are becoming so upset to wait for overcapacity stupid non functional elevator system, taking away 10-15 minutes of their leisure time to access their own floor on every occasions, having to plot a way to use the emergency stairs to get out of the madness, where a full time employee is dedicated solely at managing elevator traffic jams...it makes you wonder who are the geniuses having conceived such a mess and not replacing it with a classic but proven system? Hello management?

Unfortunate as location is perfect, the renovated spacious rooms on the 12 th floor offering a spectacular view on the city, the concierge and the chEck in teams being so efficient...all of this is tainted by the elevator system. Loosing an hour daily (assuming you only go back and forth twice to your room so do not forget to go to the bathroom before leaving) is likely enough for me to go somewhere else next time. Just send me an email when common sense is back in order and the elevators replaced.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank PourJF

Dear PourJF,

Thank you for your comments. We understand the frustration you and other guests may have experienced as a result of the wait times for the elevators.

At the Westin Ottawa we have invested considerable resources to modernize our elevators so that we are able to provide our guests with a state of the art experience. Based on guest feedback we decided to analyze the average wait times. The good news is, according to our records, the average wait time is 10 to 15 seconds.

The Marathon weekend in May was not a typical Westin Ottawa experience. The majority of our guests were participating in the races and a vast amount of people were using the elevators at the same time which lead to a significant increase in these wait times.

We understand that this was an inconvenience and would like to offer our sincere apologies.

We do hope to see you again at the Westin Ottawa.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just stayed last two nights as my wife ran the Ottawa marathon. Lot's of very good; housekeeping, valet workers, room service delivery, concierge, kids menu pancakes and west view. But two big problems; (1) the elevator are great at low need but horrible at peak capacity. For a few hours as race participants came back to the hotel, it can take 15-30 minutes to get a ride up to your room! Imagine aching muscles in need of a shower in the hotel you picked 5 minutes from the finish line and you cannot get up to your room for 30 minutes!, (2) West view and probably even south and north views are within earshot of the wedding tents the across the canal National Art Gallery use. The bad cover bands are offensive enough, but when they are allowed to play until 11:45pm the night before runners are waking up 5am for a run that took months of preparation that's a big problem.

Room Tip: If you need your sleep after 11pm on weekend (say if you are preparing for a next morning marathon r...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank iGGy96

Dear iGGy96,

Thank you for your comments. We are happy that you had a pleasant experience with our associates and that you enjoyed the view and the pancakes.

I see that you noted an issue with wait times for the elevators. Here at the Westin Ottawa the average wait time for an elevator is 10-15 seconds, the Marathon weekend in May was not a typical Westin Ottawa experience. The majority of our guests were participating in the races and a vast amount of people were using the elevators at the same time which led to a significant increase in wait times. We realize this was an inconvenience and wish to sincerely apologize.

We also apologize for any disturbances that occurred due to noise issues and are looking into this. We hope your wife was successful in her race and that we see you again.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I love the location of this hotel, it is centrally located in downtown Ottawa and has indoor access to the Rideau Centre which is really great when the weather is bad.

We stayed for work for just over a week and some of the corners cut throughout the stay became totally annoying.

•If we left a partially used shampoo bottle in the shower they wouldn't replace it. FYI: It is very unpleasant to discover you are out of shampoo while in the shower....and expecting 2 people to share 1/2 of a tiny bottle is not appreciated. One morning I gave up and got my hair done at a salon in the Rideau Centre.

•Coffee and paper cups were replaced inconsistently; some days we wouldn't receive new ones, other days we would just receive one. Struggling to make coffee in the morning is totally unnecessary, how much can a paper cup and coffee possibly cost the hotel?

•The glassware was filthy and our furniture wasn't dusted once during our entire stay.

•I accidentally dropped some pretzel crumbs on the floor by the desk (sorry); it was only vacuumed up a couple days later (after I left a post-it note on the floor with an arrow that pointed to them.)

•A couple of light bulbs were burnt out in the entranceway/closet area, they were not replaced during our stay.

•I'm sure I could have called to have someone attend to all of the items listed above but I think it is unreasonable to expect a guest to do so.

The elevator situation is odd; you select the floor you need to go to before you get in and there are no buttons in the elevator. This became problematic when I got stuck in the elevator for a couple of minutes on the 12th floor, I couldn't just push 11 or 12 to attempt to open the doors. Eventually the elevator situation resolved itself but it would have been nice to have the option of selecting another floor so that I could have gotten off earlier.

The restaurant and bar on the lobby level are nothing special and the staff wasn't very attentive. One night I waited so long to be served that I left without ordering; the staff acted as if they were on mission critical preparing for some sort of party that started at 10 p.m.

If there is a spa onsite, I couldn't find it or find details on it. I expected one in a Westin.

I will try to stay at another hotel the next time I am in Ottawa.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Vay_KayK8e
Reviewed 25 May 2014

A friend of mine was staying at the Westin for the Ottawa Marathon and I wanted to surprise him with a gift in his room to congratulate him for his run since I wasn't able to attend in person. I contacted the hotel and was put in contact with Andrew Van Der Hoeven, Chief Concierge for the Westin Ottawa. I asked Andrew to purchase a few items on my behalf to surprise my friend after the race. I also couriered a greeting card to the hotel and asked Andrew to leave it in the hotel room along with the items I asked him to purchase. Andrew executed my request flawlessly!!! He kept me updated throughout the process - he sent an email when the greeting card arrived and he let me know when the requested items had been purchased. He was also kind enough to take a photo of everything once it was arranged in the hotel room and sent me an email along with the picture to ensure everything was to my liking. I can't say enough great things about the service provided and I will definitely be staying at the Westin on my next trip to Ottawa based on the amazing service that Andrew provided... THANK YOU!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear sarah k,

Thank you so much for your feedback! Here at the Westin Ottawa one of our biggest goals is that each guest has a unique and special experience. One they will always remember and one that will bring them back again. Andrew consistently works at exceeding guest expectations, so we are so happy to hear that you had an excellent experience with him!

We are very much looking forward to someday having you at the Westin Ottawa!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Spent two days Ottawa for work and stayed at the Westin. Hotel is centrally located. Staff were friendly and helpfull. Furnature and fixtures in the room were updated. Room given was an odd shape and felt cramped. Could hear halway noice at night. Had an inner room with no view. Free WIFI. Gym looked small and ill equiped. Overall would not reccomend given the price.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the canal.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business