“Awesome room with a view”
Review of The Westin Ottawa

The Westin Ottawa
Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We came for a business conference and completely enjoyed everything about our stay at the Westin. Ottawa is a beautiful city and we had a gorgeous view of the Parliament buildings and Sparks street. The room was spotless, the bedding was super comfortable and the customer service was excellent. We completely enjoyed all of the meals. I definitely would recommend this location. The convenience to restaurants, downtown and the walking and bike paths on the Rideau Canal make this the place to stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the Canal and the Parliament buildings
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear barb5954,

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay with us!

I am happy that you enjoyed the view and your room. Our Westin Heavenly beds are one of our favorite features, and we love to hear that our guests had a comfortable stay. I am also pleased that you were able to enjoy the convenience of our central location, there are so many delicious restaurants nearby. I do hope that you were able to take advantage of one of our walking or biking paths, the one along the Rideau Canal is truly beautiful.

We hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for The Westin Ottawa

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Westin is indeed the best hotel in Ottawa. The only exception is the Hilton Casino but that's technically across the river; it is a better hotel though the location is not convenient. The Westin is objectively in the best possible location in Ottawa, attached to the Rideau Centre and right beside the Byward Market and Rideau Canal. Almost all other hotels in Ottawa are old or have undergone patchwork renovations. The rooms are as you expect from a good Westin. Clean. Large. Service is friendly. Food is good.

I've stayed here many times and usually don't have a problem. This time however, when I came back from a late night dinner, I noticed dried blood on my sheets. It took about half an hour for staff to change them while I sat there. The shower drain was also clogged with a LOT of long black hair so I was showering in a wading pool. I suppose this is more a housekeeping issue than a hotel issue. I brought this up with management, and they apologized, but nothing more. I never ask for compensation from a hotel - its not my style, but I would have expected something in the way of compensation for wasting half an hour of my time late at night and a clogged shower drain, but it wasn't offered. Perhaps that's what distinguishes the Westin brand from a higher end hotel and that's why I give them one star short of five.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Was there for a conference and was a lovely hotel.
Rooms look amazing and view was great.
Bit of sound from other rooms- toilets being used and flushed, but maybe more obvious as I wasn't sleeping soundly.
Amazing buffet breakfast, but I wasn't allowed to choose continental buffet option only as I wasn't a platinum customer, so hot options wasted on me.
One of the nicest looking rooms I have been in and about the best view over parliament buildings.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Westin for our organization's AGM. I booked a king room, upgrade, overlooking the Parliament Buildings and canal. That was money well spent. The view was super and helped make the event. The food served in the ballroom was outstanding and the staff in the hotel were the best I have ever seen.

Room Tip: Always get a room that overlooks the Parliament Buildings and canal as the view is great.
2  Thank Rick M
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Rick M,

Thank you for your comments. We are so happy that you enjoyed the view, it truly captures the beauty of Ottawa’s parliament and canal, and we consider ourselves lucky to be in this location.

I’m also glad to hear that you had an excellent experience with our associates; our main goal is to make sure that every guest has a unique and special stay with us. You can be sure that I will be passing on your comments to our whole team.

We are very much looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed overnight for Ottawa Marathon - a big test for a hotel, since every room was full, lots of people trying to get from point A to point B at the same time.
Positives: we got there mid-day Saturday, room was ready, fast check-in. I'm sure those who came in around 5pm would not have the same opinion. Large, clean room, comfy bed, nothing else to ask for. Very good location (certainly for the Marathon, probably for tourism and business as well). Parking garage attached to the hotel.
Negatives: WiFi is extra (we're in 2014, not 1995), breakfast requires a second mortgage on your home, parking is extra. We ate elsewhere. Very weird elevator system, incapable of coping with the traffic.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear rocou,

Thank you for your comments. We are happy that you had a smooth check in and that you enjoyed the comforts of our heavenly bed. There is definitely something to be said about having a great sleep in a comfortable and clean room.

You noted that our elevators had issues with coping with the traffic. Typically the wait time for an elevator here is 10-15 seconds. The Marathon weekend was not your average Westin Ottawa weekend, the majority of the guests staying were running the race and a vast amount of people were using the elevators at the same time which lead to a significant increase in wait times. We realize this was an inconvenience and sincerely apologize.

You also mentioned extra costs – we value feedback here at the Westin Ottawa and consider it a gift. This is something I will bring back to the team to discuss.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Unlike some of the more recent reviews, we had a lovely time at The Westin. The valet parking was easy and convenient and the young men working there were very helpful and efficient. Check-in was very quick and the young lady at the desk was certainly friendly. We arrived around 2:15, our room was not yet ready so we checked out bags with the Concierge and crossed the lobby to bar and had a couple of drinks while waiting, staff there was very amenable, the bartender was chatty and very pleasant. We had a room on the 16th floor with a great view of Parliament. We found the room to be very clean and comfortable and certainly with all the things you need in a hotel room. One reviewer mentioned that they thought the bed looked messy, I didn't find that to be the case. Nor did we hear any noise in the hallway or overhead.The one tiny thing we had a problem with was the bathroom door. Rather than a conventional door, there's a sliding door which seemed to stick and I had a rather difficult time opening it from inside the bathroom. Had to have my husband rescue me a few times which frankly, we thought was hysterical. Some people have mentioned the elevators being a problem....we were there during a retired Mounties convention and we never waited more than a minute or two for the elevator to arrive. We had dinner at the Shore Club which was lovely, more info on that in a review of the restaurant. We had breakfast at Daly's, personally not a huge fan of buffets at all, but it was perfectly acceptable. All in all, we had a nice weekend there, no complaints at all.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NancyJean2013
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear NancyJean2013,
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate all forms of feedback, but one can’t deny it makes our day to see guest reviews that reflect upon an excellent experience here at the Westin Ottawa!

I am delighted that you had such positive interactions with our associates and enjoyed your room. These are two key contributors to a great stay, and something we consistently work on as a team. You also noted a great meal at the Shore Club – we love to hear this! We are big fans of their menu and frequent patrons ourselves.

Thank you for your comment regarding our elevators as we have invested considerable resources to modernize them so that we are able to provide our guests with a state of the art experience. Our Engineering team will be really happy to hear this!

We can’t wait to see you again!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here for one night on May 19th. In general we find all Ottawa hotels rather lacking but the Westin is the best of a bad bunch. The room was clean but needed a little attention. Outside widows needed cleaning, and chips in the furniture that gave the room a little bit of the used look. The Concierge was fantastic, (Phil I think) gave an outstanding recommendation for a nice French dinner in Gatineau. Very happy there. The buffet breakfast was on the pricy side at 25 pp, but well worth it. Freshly squeezed juice, omelette to order (with quality ingredients) and the best Danishes I have ever eaten, plus many other things. All in all we had a great week end just a few things to touch up on in the rooms. one more thing:
Ottawa: in general, what's with your lousy hotels???

Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Travelboy328

Dear Travelboy328,

Thank you for your comments. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast at Daly’s; we are lucky to have a very talented kitchen staff that consistently produces delectable meals for our guests. I am also delighted to hear that you had an excellent experience with our concierge Phil, you can be sure I will let him know.

I've made note of your remarks regarding the rooms and I will be talking directly to our Rooms associates, thank you again for your feedback.

We hope to see you again soon.