“Great Hotel, Poor WiFi!” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Westin Ottawa
Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“Great Hotel, Poor WiFi!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed at the Westin Ottawa from July 9 - July 11 for a conference. Overall, very satisfied with the Westin's employees, facilities, etc, however the one service that was severely disappointing was the WiFi.

As part of the conference (CSFX), WiFi was included with the room and throughout the hotel conference floor/business centre. Despite logging in and connecting to WiFi, it continually disconnected and/or was slow during use. I experienced the same issues in my room, and know of many other delegates who had the same problems.

If you're attending for a longer stay, I'd recommend parking at the Rideau Centre, as parking is only $20 for every 24 hours. This is compared to the $34 the hotel will charge you for valet parking. The parking centre is actually connected to the hotel, so it isn't an issue to travel from your car to the hotel in the rain or during poor weather.

Overall, great service from the staff there, and expectations were met for my night at a Westin property.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Terakita,

Thank you for taking time to offer honest feedback from your recent stay with us.

I apologize for the WiFi inconvenience; I will make sure to look into this issue with our IT team. I know how essential having internet access is, especially when here on business. I am happy that we met your expectations otherwise and that you had an excellent experience with our staff.

We hope to see you again soon.

Ross M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I attended a conference at the Ottawa Convention Centre which is attached to the hotel. This made it very convenient as I was able to sleep in and not worry about driving to the conference. I was surprised by how clean and modern my room was. The shower was beautiful, and the bed was comfortable. The location of the hotel is great, I walked to see the light show at Parliament Hill, visited a local pub, went to the National Gallery, and did some downtown shopping without ever getting into a car. It was a perfect work getaway destination. I also want to comment on the concierge staff who literally offered to walk me outside the hotel and point me in the direction to the Gallery. Also, when the Business Centre printer wasn't working, a staff member offered to have me e-mail him my document to his personal account and he printed it for me at the front desk. Exceptional service, well done.

Dear jenmichliz,

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us!
I love to hear when guests take advantage of our location. Being located right beside the Byward Market and Parliament Hill gives our guest’s ample opportunity to explore beautiful central Ottawa. I’m glad you enjoyed the National Gallery; it’s a favorite of many! I’m also happy to hear that our staff accommodated you with everything that you needed; it’s our goal to make your stay special and unique
Thank you again for your feedback, I will make sure our team is recognized.

We hope to see you again soon!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Very good staff there and they are very nice!
I try to reach Yasmin who works there and professionnal. I had a chance to talk with her and exchange few words. Very good reception and professional staff

I can be reached at andy@winsen2011.com. This is to join Yasmin if she can!
Thks

Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed 2 nights in june 2014. Nice place, has everything. I found it to be pricey. Example, the self park is $24. per day. Add that to the room, it becomes expensive. Great place for walking to the market or the hill. Room is clean, well kept, A/C not too noisy. Lots of light through the window. Neat elevator system, almost no waiting. Next time I will try another one in the area if I get a better deal. But honestly, you get what you pay for and I really have no complaints.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear milepat,

Thank you for your feedback. I am so happy you had a nice stay with us here at the Westin Ottawa.

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the close proximity to the Byward Market and Parliament Hill. We hope you had the chance to explore this great capital city! Our apologies about the price of the parking, the parking lot is not actually owned by the Westin Ottawa and so the pricing is not a decision made on our end. I do realize this adds an extra cost on to your stay, but I’m happy you found your time with us to be of value despite this.

We hope to see you again!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Had a short one night stay and the location could not be better. The staff were all very friendly. The buffet breakfast was a bit expensive but the food quality was quite good. Someone had smoked in our room but the staff quickly switched us to another room with a great view of parliament hill.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear bsfriedland,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!

I’m happy you enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Daly’s, it is quite delectable! It’s also wonderful to hear that our staff treated you excellently, and you ended up in a room with a great view of parliament. We never tire of that view!

Hopefully we will see you again and you’ll have some more time to enjoy our hotel and explore our beautiful capital.

Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Nice, clean comfortable hotel with a great location right in the heart of the city. Near the parliament buildings, the market and connected to the Rideau Centre for shopping. We were surprised that at approximately $200 per night for a room that there was a charge for internet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the canal
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank landroverOntario
Dear landroverOntario,

Thank you for your feedback. I’m so happy you enjoyed the hotel and especially our location! I do hope that you had plenty of time to take advantage of all that central Ottawa has to offer.
I’ve noted your comment about the internet charge and I will discuss this with our Operations team, we are always looking for ways to enhance guest experiences and we value your input.

I hope to see you again soon.

Three Hills, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

In keeping with the Westin brand, the hotel itself was excellent - service & experience you'd typically expect. Room was nicely appointed & I particularly enjoyed my 22nd floor view.

The location though is likely it's best asset - close to the action. The Rideau Canal is right across the street, Parliament Hill a couple blocks away, Rideau locks one block away. Take the indoor walkway directly into the 'OCC' (Ottawa Conference Centre) or another walkway directly into a shopping centre. A two block stroll will put you right into the 'market area' where you have a smorgasbord of eating options. If you care to take the time, stop & be entertained by numerous buskers showcasing their unique talents.

For business or pleasure, an excellent choice.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper level room on the west side. The views will knock you over.
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Swazimac,

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay here with us at the Westin Ottawa.

I’m so happy that you were able to enjoy the view from the 22nd floor; it’s one that we never tire of. We are fortunate to be situated right in the center of capital; it’s wonderful that you had the opportunity to explore the market and the unique culture of downtown Ottawa.

We hope to see you again soon!