“Our host Richard & his very friendly dog,Sunny, made our stay an unforgettable experience............ ...looking forward to our ”

Auberge The King Edward Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 54 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 4 days' starting on Jan 20th/14 & right in the middle of an extremely cold period. Despite the temperatures and gusty winds we walked every day to the vast majority of Ottawa attractions and restaurants (Byward Market area).......you cannot beat the location & free private parking of this B&B.......Upon arrival at this easy to get to destination,our host Richard and his loving dog Sunny warmly greeted us at the rear, kitchen entrance,where the safe visitor parking is located.
Richard immediately made us feel welcome in his beautifully restored Victorian home and wasted no time in giving us a map outlining all major must -see attractions........Richard is a wealth of knowledge and obviously enjoy's promoting this lovely City........Afterwards,Richard gave us a tour of the beautiful sitting and dining room and then led us to the tower room with ensuite, which,like the rest of the house was nicely furnished & very warm and comfortable. Next morning my wife and I had the dining room to ourselves for Richard's supurb breakfast which gave us the energy needed for our daily treks.Richard joined us at the table and we enjoyed his company for great conversation.Sunny obediently observed us from his own armchair,he is the most adorable and gentle dog we have ever met.........Taking everything into account,we enjoyed a fantastic stay here,home away from home,thanks to Richard and Sunny and look forward to our next visit ,probably during a future Spring,for the tulips and I believe Richards' front garden has a grand showing of them.Again,you will not regret visiting this great Bed and Breakfast......Enjoy!
Dave&Carol......Penetanguishene,Ontario

• Stayed: January 2014
There are newer reviews for Auberge The King Edward Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed at Sunny and Kiki’s place for a couple of weeks over the Christmas period whilst visiting our daughter and her husband. Our stay was greatly facilitated by Richard. Joking aside we had a great time, met some really interesting guests and we’d like to echo all the positive comments that the Auberge has received over the years. In spite of Ottawa being unusually cold (even for Ottawa) the Auberge provided a warm welcome at the end of each day - very cosy, comfortable and what a fantastic location. We even got to walk on the canal for the first time in all the years we’ve been visiting Ottawa. 6 stars are due in every category from us.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank evenpete
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the King Edward B&B for two nights in January 2014 while on a course at Ottawa U. It's centrally located, and its two charming hosts, Richard and Sonny the sweetest dog ever, assure you a welcome stay. If you like the large Victorian-style type of B&B, this is the place for you. Full of lovely woodwork, antiques, large, attractive rooms that are clean and bright, and a delicious breakfast in the morning. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2014

After staying 2 nights at the King Edward Bed and Breakfast, it’s not hard to see why it has so many wonderful reviews! Certainly one appeal is that it is within walking distance to downtown and to Byward Market (where there are some great restaurants). It was also nice to have a parking spot behind the house where we could leave our car while we explored the city on foot. Parking downtown can be expensive otherwise.

The breakfast was a highlight of our stay. Freshly baked croissants, home baked fruit-filled muffins and a mouth-watering fruit salad, along with eggs, cereal or yogurt if you wanted. And as the reviewer, Craig, below said, sitting down at the large breakfast table was a nice way to get to know the other guests and to find out what brought them to Ottawa and what they had planned for their visit. Richard offered several recommendations on where to go and what to see and where to stay warm. He was also very kind to give us the leftover muffins when we went snowshoeing in Gatineau Park. They were a wonderful treat!

We had the Green Room and given this is an old Victorian house, we never felt cold in the house even though it was -25C outside. It’s a beautifully kept house and Richard has done a good job restoring it. It wasn’t a huge problem while we were there, but we think there is another room’s ensuite next to the Green Room and the walls must be very thin as you could hear the water running and toilet flushing. This was fine for our visit as the ensuite seemed to be only used in the mornings before breakfast and not during the night.

If you are looking for a place to stay for a couple of nights, then we would definitely recommend the King Edward B&B. Thank you Richard for being such a wonderful host!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Had the chance to use 3 days of leave before I lost it, and decided to go to Ottawa as that is one of the cities in Canada in the East that I haven't been able to visit before. Richard's directions were excellent, and even with all the snow already on the ground (2-3 foot), there was room to park with with other guests. When I was looking for a place to stay, I knew that I wanted something central to the city and the sites. I knew I didn't want to stay in a hotel, and parking was important to me because I wanted to leave the car parked while I went exploring on foot. I love animals, and it was a treat to meet Sunny, who was very well behaved for such a big, happy dog. Breakfast was pretty amazing. Had breakfast with 2 couples visiting from England, one to see their children, and the other was a young couple who'd spent the morning snowshoeing nearby. Great conversation, which is what is such a blessing with bed and breakfasts, learning what others have done and enjoyed during their visit. Richard was very helpful in telling me not only where the sites were from the location (with books and laptop), but the best ways to travel: what roads, what direction of travel so you could see specific things on the way back (all the Christmas lights that were still up), but for a January 1st visit when there was an unusual cold spell, what places you could stop in to get warm. The day that I'd left, his wonderful helper made fresh croissants, right out of the oven, that melted in your mouth. I'd recommend this location, and hope to be able to come back when my wife can travel with me. I don't want to forget to mention that the price surprised me, that the top ranked B&B in Ottawa could be so affordable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Our host Richard was very knowledgeable and helpful to us as first time visitors to Ottawa. Location near U. of Ottawa was very convenient to pretty much everything we wanted to do and see. Secure, off street parking was a big plus. Rooms were quite large, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good. Price is reasonable for what you get.

Room Tip: Two of the rooms have balconies which, in good weather, are nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 November 2013

It’s close to downtown. A trip down memory lane. Pictures of people not in a hurry and art hanging on walls throughout the multi-level house. A stay here provides a window into the past, when living was about details: the lavished mouldings in each room, the warmth of wood everywhere, heat radiators when steam was king, furniture you keep for generations. A stay at this B&B avoids exposure to furniture made of glued sawdust, of straight white walls without soul, of spaces devoid of a loving past. This large character house will not deceive. In addition, the breakfast is as overgenerous as the history of the house. Loved the waterfall, the plants, and the tree in the house. Was able to walk to work each day and saved over 60% from staying at the recommended conference hotel while meeting fellow travelers. Free parking provided a nice touch.

Room Tip: Its all good. If you are a fearful person, ask for a room with a private bathroom. Otherwise sharin...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business