“My local getaway”

Ranked #5 of 55 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“My local getaway”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I have stayed here a number of times and have loved it everytime!

The different rooms I have stayed in have all been fantastic! Well decorated, quaint, comfortable, good size, everything you need and the beds are exactly what I like. I always get a great sleep here.

The service is great! Breakfast is delicious! Realy nice parler room to hang out in.

The location is convenient with a very short walk to the Market or the Rideau Center.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I wasnt inpressed with the look as we drove up to the inn, certainly needed to be tidied up from the winer. As we entered, however, I realized quickly that this inn is certainly well kept-up. I know its old, but way too much big patterend wallpaper...everywhere! Went alittle too overboard with the antiques everywhere....felt cluttered. But our Windsor room was beautiful.. loved the canapy bed. Very romantic, very comfortable. The bathroom has a 3000 series shower- tv, radio, jets, lighting, very modern and hi-tech. So much, my hubby who is very hi-tech inteligent, had a hard time figuring it out. Never got to even have a hot bath in it. So if you dont know how to use one of these, dont even try. Very disappointing since thats one of the reasons we booked this room and paid the extra money. Woken up very early because of the thin walls, and squicky floor boards....worse victorian old home Ive stayed at with the noise. Breakfast was nothing special, comparing it to other b&b's we've been at. Overall, nice room, great location to the Downtown Market/Bars, but probably will try another place next time.

Room Tip: Windsor room was probably the most romantic one, with canopy bed. We stuck our heads into most of t...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jane m
Weehawken, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 March 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for two nights and were very comfortable. We had a suite where we had our own little private corners and our own tvs! We walked to and saw the House of Parlament and Canada Gallery. The folks at the Mcgee make it and easy place to come and go from. I think the breakfast could have been a tad hotter, but that's no big deal. It's one block away from shops and a ton of places to eat all kinds of different foods. I really appreciate that they set up coffee, tea, and cookies in the afternoon.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Clive B
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I stayed in room 22, and absolutely enjoyed my time. The space was clean and comfortable, and I felt like everything was decorated just like the doll house of my childhood dreams.

Located within walking distance of downtown and the Parliament buildings, McGee's was the perfect place to finish off my trip to Ottawa.

The owners provided lovely coffees and teas for guests to help themselves to at any time. Judy was warm and welcoming, and I felt like I knew her even though I was meeting her for the first time. I felt very at home, and I was given a map and advice on how to spend my day.

Breakfast was delightful-- I chose a spinach and brie omelet, and there was fresh fruit and pastries to help myself to as well. The sun poured through the window as I sipped my coffee, and I did not feel rushed at all.

I plan to come back, because I want my boyfriend to experience McGee's too! The only change I would make is that I would stay longer.

The only downside was that I was trying to go to bed early (10PM) and the TV from another room was quite noisy. However it was shut off shortly after 11:00. I felt a little bit uncomfortable, because I didn't want to disturb the owners with my complaint, but I also wanted to sleep. The problem was resolved on its own.

I am already imagining when I can enjoy my next stay at Auberge McGee's Inn. It is so much better than a big hotel chain.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different! Room 22 has access to an attached screened-in porch for its guests, an...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank rachdol
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed for two nights in room 18 which came with a private large balcony. The room was not overly large but decorated well and in keeping with this historic Victorian home. We treated ourselves to breakfast in our room one morning and had our breakfast-in-bed trays brought uup with a wonderful filling breakfast. The location is central and a 10 minute walk to the Byward Market which is full of restaurants of all types and prices. The hosts are extremely friendly and helpful and have lovingly restored and decorated the mansion. We plan to return in the summer to take full advantage of the balcony for breakfasts and a quiet glass of wine at the end of a day of sight seeing.

• Stayed February 2013
Fort Erie, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I attended this bed and breakfast in early February and there's a few things I noticed about the hosts prior to even arriving. Firstly, they are unorganized. I booked my room through bed and breakfast.com several days prior but never got a confirmation. When I emailed the owners to clarify the details of the room, I did not get a response. Finally, I called and spoke with the owner. I advised that I had sent an email without a response. The owner replied rudely 'that's because no one was here.' Well, that would be fine if I knew these stranger's schedule but as far as I'm concerned, if I call or email a business I should be able to reach them over the span of a few days. After the the owner clarified the details of the room, I advised that I would be happy to upgrade. The owner attempted to find my reservation without success so I again had to provide my credit card, name and address.

I arrived later in the evening and found my envelope with my key and a read up about the breakfast and rules of the house. The note provided stated that the owners did not want to be disturbed after 10pm which is reasonable enough, just could have been said with a little less harshness. We also were informed that breakfast is at 8am or 9am SHARP. That's kind of ridiculous. We're paying good money to relax and it would be nice not to be forced into a schedule beyond the one we place on ourselves.

The room was clean and comfortable, and we could hear little noise overnight which was nice.

We arrived for breakfast at 8am SHARP for fear we would not be served. I ordered a tomato basil omlette. Disgusting. The egg was runny. Neither I or my mother could eat. The coffee was ok but nothing to rave about.

We left shortly thereafter to eat at Tim Horton's which, sadly, tasted better than the home cooked breakfast at this place who should specialize at breakfast.

To put it simply, this place was far to overpriced ($190/night for a family room) to receive service and a breakfast as we did.

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Had a splendid two night stay with my daughter. Loved the staff and owners. Great location near Bytowne with it's great selection of restaurants. We were also able to walk to the National Gallery and House of Parlement. Good coffee and a broad selection of breakfast items and choices. I will stay there on my next visit to Ottawa.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family