“Good value”

Ranked #7 of 53 Ottawa B&B and Inns
New Englander
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2010

I enjoyed my stay at McGee's. I've stayed in at least 5 other Ottawa B&Bs since I travel here once/year on business. Once in Ottawa, I travel on foot, so I'm looking for a safe and convenient location. The staff was friendly, but more hands-off than most B&Bs, but I appreciated this when on a business trip. The breakfasts were excellent, although with whipped cream on crepes, not the most healthy. I would suggest the management add a more basic option (any style eggs, or more cereal choices) to the typical options of a cheese-based vegetable/meat omelet and crepes. The decor in the common areas includes many collections (cameras, Queen Eliz. memorabilia). If you don't like being around knickknacks and Victoriana, then choose another place. My room was nice sized for a single person and very quiet. Bathrooms in converted houses are often so small they are barely useable. Although not large, my bathroom had full-height ceilings and plenty of room for me to move around. Given the good value and convenience to the locations I need to visit, I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Westfield, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2009

The inn itself from the outside looks like Norman Bates house .. and there is not adequate parking for the number of rooms ... we ended up parking on the street a block away.

Once inside, much of the decor is a little creepy ... like someone trying to recreate a victorian atmosphere from bad Sherlock Holmes movies.

The rooms themselves were comfortable enough although ours was cold and we had to request an extra heater. The unsmiling gentleman who delivered it made it all feel like it was a terrible ordeal for him

But what really has upset is that we slightly stained a bed cover that is thrown on top of the comforter. The Inn unilaterally charged us $200 for something we believe could have been easily dry-cleaned or at worse replaced $50. We now hav to go through the hassle of disputing the charge.

At $200/night one expects better service and interactions

People who choose to go into the B&B business should be congenial, service oriented, friendly .... none of these apply to MGee's Inn

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

We enjoyed our stay at McGee's inn. The room was very clean and the king-size bed comfortable. Bathrobes and toiletries were supplied. Eggs, crepes, muffins, cereals, juice, fresh fruit salad and tea or coffee were offered for breakfast. The inn is well located. We walked to the By market and the downtown stores. The owners are friendly without being intrusive. We would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

I was looking for somewhere to stay during the Canada Day celebrations and discovered a true gem. The staff were so helpful, telling me where I should go and what to see, and they even took took me with them to their favourite spot to watch the fireworks. Breakfast the next morning was awesome! I can't say enough nice things about this hotel. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
newfoundland,canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

We had a nice stay at McGee's. We arrived very early, but were treated to a lovely breakfast. Our room, McGee's, was medium/large, about 150 -180 sq ft., with a firm but comfortable queen bed, a lovely original fireplace, and period-style, if not actually antique, furnishings,including a desk and sofa and many lamps. The bathroom was nicely done, but very small with only a shower. The staff kept it all very clean and it was a pleasure to return to it each night.
We found the breakfasts quite ample and tasty, the service friendly and attentive, and the dining area very charming, and the front garden sweet.
It is a bit of a walk to Parliament Hill (20 or so Min.) and about 10 min. to the Byward Market. You are fairly close to the University and many of the houses along Daly going west are student apartments, but walking east are many lovely and historic residences.
Along Sussex Drive you will find several spectacular buildings, including The National Gallery , which I loved. Here's a tip: If you are looking for pleasant and inexpensive place to eat in that area, you can get a free pass to dine at the Gallery Cafe or Cafeteria. Both have beautiful views and good food , and the cafeteria also has an outdoor terrace over a little park.
Also, it is great city to bike in, as it is flat , easy to navigate, and most roads have designated bike lanes.
Ottawa has a lovely setting and there are many walking/biking trails along the rivers. I was surprised, though, at how many indigent people there are, in all areas of the city center.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2009

Found the B&B to be quite nice - it was clean, had tons of character, and was generally quiet. It is situated in an area, however, where some of the residents made us feel a little leery. One night we walked to the Pizza Pizza (which is a couple of blocks away) and there were a couple of homeless? men lying beneath the trees. The B&B was fairly close to Byward Market and the other sights, but there is still a lot of walking. Even my kids, who are active, thought the walking was a bit much, especially in the rain.

The room was clean and spacious. Every morning someone came in and fixed up the beds and cleaned and replenished the bathroom. Our room had a ceiling fan and nice-sized tvs. The beds were comfortable and there were many different sized pillows to suit our tastes.

The breakfasts were alright. I think I may be spoiled because I thought the quality was not as good as it could have been. The portion sizes are smaller than I'm used to (there were two, 1.5 inch diameter filled crepes, a thin slice of watermelon and a thin slice of orange), but there were other foods (such as croissants, mini muffins, cereals, fruit salad, yogurt) to make up for that.

Sarah, the owner's daughter-in-law, was friendly and helpful.

For the price, I thought it was a fair deal, but I might consider staying at a hotel closer to Parliament Hill for next time.

Tip: If travelling alone or with small kids, use the Airporter service to get to/from the airport. Taking a taxi cost me $35. Using the Airporter service from the Quality Inn (situated a couple of blocks down) cost me $14 (my kids rode for free).

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2009

When I arrived, Judy (the owner) insulted all women younger her age of being unable to cook. Her sample size two: both her son's married women that could not cook.

Service: non-existent. In the welcome book it says, I could call and ask for toothpaste, which I had forgotten. I called, left a message and never saw anyone. Breakfast: if you can't make it 8:00 or 9:00 am sharp, you are out of luck. I wanted to have breakfast earlier than 8 and could only shave off 15 min. And Judy wondered if I should just eat at the conference. So, why did I stay at a B&B? Breakfast size decreased each morning and the third breakfast was non-existent. There are not enough spaces at the breakfast table to accommodate all the guests; first come first serve, and if you are not one of the first you don't get breakfast that day!

Next time I'll stay at a hotel, which are typically in downtown. During my 3 day stay the toiletries in my room were not replenished. Also, the owners are not quite the chatty people you want to talk to - one of them is a real estate agent, as advertised in the welcome book.

One impressive thing: the house and its history and FORMER occupants. Victorian style, almost like a museum, nice and clean.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business