“very disappointed”

Auberge McGee's Inn
Ranked #5 of 53 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 July 2010

it was our 1st wedding anniversary. we were not sure whether to go to the swiss inn again ( we loved it in the forest king room) or try mcgees. we chose to try mcgee's. which i think was about $40 cheaper.

we stayed in the egyptian room.on the site it claims to have a double jacuzzi, but my husband hardly fit in it by himself. there's no way it was a double. the one in the forest king is literally twice as big. we used it in the evening, and the jets timed out, and wouldn't turn back on. several hours later they turned themselves on when we were in bed and scared us half to death. there are cracks in the mirror behind the jacuzzi, and all over the ceiling.
on our second day, the cleaning person came into the bathroom area while we were in the jacuzzi despite our many yells to let them know we were in the room. and at 2:30 am when we were sleeping we heard two gun shots outside that sounded like it was right in front of the building.i know that isn't their fault but, it's the area, i guess.

the decor of the room is just beautiful, and the bed was so comfy. it was very clean. there are a few channels with no sound on the t.v. which was annoying. we could hear quite loudly the t.v in the next room. the sound of machine guns wasn't very romantic.

the breakfast is not great. the omlett i had was really good, but the fruit salad was really cheap (mostly melons and cantalope) and the yogurt was also really cheap. its not a buffet breakfast. the coffee was just awful.

it's a nice place but for the $ you'll be spending, go to the swiss inn. it's a far better experience.the people are 100x friendlier. the breakfast is far far better. the jacuzzi was superior and overall they just don't cut corners like mcgee does.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank haley_angel

Reviewed 19 March 2010

We have been to Ottawa several times but this is the first time my wife, my son 26 and I have ever stayed at a B. & B. Some of the criticisms that I have read here are a bit of a stretch to say the least.

My wife and I are both over 60 and my son is disabled and if we can manage the tourist/walking to the war museum, art museum, bytown, parliament hill etc., it should be easy for younger families. To say that the Inn is creepy sounds like the immature comment from a younger person who is into horror movies and knows nothing about antiques and older homes. As far as the neighbourhood is concerned, larger, older homes that become B & Bs tend to be in older parts of the city. It is certainly safe to be outside in the neighbourhood at night, as we were. There are a lot of University of Ottawa students around but they are polite and well behaved. The only bother is that you soon learn that if you take a "wrong" street, you might be bothered by a few panhandlers but if you avoid the particular street next time the problem is solved. No danger and no impoliteness is present in any event.

In McGee's Inn, I paid cash on arrival and they did not have the correct change. It was only a matter of less than a dollar, but the next day they came to me at breakfast to give me the change. They were doing some renovating of some of the rooms but they were very careful not to disturb their customers and to do it, only when the customers were out and not during evening hours.

Breakfast provided a choice of eggs benedict, a variety of fruit crepes and omelettes, sausages, juice, coffee, muffins, cereal, toast, etc. and the service was as good or better than that in many restaurants. They quickly got used to whether you drank tea or a lot of coffee and adjusted service accordingly.

We would certainly come back and recommend this Inn to others. Even the strangers we met here were nice and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2010

I enjoyed my stay at McGee's. I've stayed in at least 5 other Ottawa B&Bs since I travel here once/year on business. Once in Ottawa, I travel on foot, so I'm looking for a safe and convenient location. The staff was friendly, but more hands-off than most B&Bs, but I appreciated this when on a business trip. The breakfasts were excellent, although with whipped cream on crepes, not the most healthy. I would suggest the management add a more basic option (any style eggs, or more cereal choices) to the typical options of a cheese-based vegetable/meat omelet and crepes. The decor in the common areas includes many collections (cameras, Queen Eliz. memorabilia). If you don't like being around knickknacks and Victoriana, then choose another place. My room was nice sized for a single person and very quiet. Bathrooms in converted houses are often so small they are barely useable. Although not large, my bathroom had full-height ceilings and plenty of room for me to move around. Given the good value and convenience to the locations I need to visit, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2009

The inn itself from the outside looks like Norman Bates house .. and there is not adequate parking for the number of rooms ... we ended up parking on the street a block away.

Once inside, much of the decor is a little creepy ... like someone trying to recreate a victorian atmosphere from bad Sherlock Holmes movies.

The rooms themselves were comfortable enough although ours was cold and we had to request an extra heater. The unsmiling gentleman who delivered it made it all feel like it was a terrible ordeal for him

But what really has upset is that we slightly stained a bed cover that is thrown on top of the comforter. The Inn unilaterally charged us $200 for something we believe could have been easily dry-cleaned or at worse replaced $50. We now hav to go through the hassle of disputing the charge.

At $200/night one expects better service and interactions

People who choose to go into the B&B business should be congenial, service oriented, friendly .... none of these apply to MGee's Inn

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2009

We enjoyed our stay at McGee's inn. The room was very clean and the king-size bed comfortable. Bathrobes and toiletries were supplied. Eggs, crepes, muffins, cereals, juice, fresh fruit salad and tea or coffee were offered for breakfast. The inn is well located. We walked to the By market and the downtown stores. The owners are friendly without being intrusive. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2009

I was looking for somewhere to stay during the Canada Day celebrations and discovered a true gem. The staff were so helpful, telling me where I should go and what to see, and they even took took me with them to their favourite spot to watch the fireworks. Breakfast the next morning was awesome! I can't say enough nice things about this hotel. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2009

We had a nice stay at McGee's. We arrived very early, but were treated to a lovely breakfast. Our room, McGee's, was medium/large, about 150 -180 sq ft., with a firm but comfortable queen bed, a lovely original fireplace, and period-style, if not actually antique, furnishings,including a desk and sofa and many lamps. The bathroom was nicely done, but very small with only a shower. The staff kept it all very clean and it was a pleasure to return to it each night.
We found the breakfasts quite ample and tasty, the service friendly and attentive, and the dining area very charming, and the front garden sweet.
It is a bit of a walk to Parliament Hill (20 or so Min.) and about 10 min. to the Byward Market. You are fairly close to the University and many of the houses along Daly going west are student apartments, but walking east are many lovely and historic residences.
Along Sussex Drive you will find several spectacular buildings, including The National Gallery , which I loved. Here's a tip: If you are looking for pleasant and inexpensive place to eat in that area, you can get a free pass to dine at the Gallery Cafe or Cafeteria. Both have beautiful views and good food , and the cafeteria also has an outdoor terrace over a little park.
Also, it is great city to bike in, as it is flat , easy to navigate, and most roads have designated bike lanes.
Ottawa has a lovely setting and there are many walking/biking trails along the rivers. I was surprised, though, at how many indigent people there are, in all areas of the city center.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business