McGee's Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Fitness centre
Swiss Hotel(Ottawa)
Great 4.5/5
Les Suites Hotel Ottawa(Ottawa)
ByWard Blue Inn(Ottawa)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsb begyptian roomvictorian suitesandy hillown private entrancebyward marketold victorianceiling fanyogurtparliament hillwithin walking distanceprivate bathroomclose to downtownbreakfast servicetop floortea and coffeebreakfast was excellent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 July 2010

On Saturday, Hubby and I left behind the noise and grit of our city to head off to the noise and grit of another city. We were celebrating belatedly our wedding anniversary, and I had the brilliant thought that it would be so romantic to stay in a bed and breakfast overnight. Taking the advice of someone who had stayed at McGee's Inn in Ottawa last year, I took the plunge and booked a reservation for one night. My only regret now is that we could not stay a second or third or fourth night...

The B & B was on one of those streets lined with beautiful old homes dating back to the late 1800's--some brick Victorians, others made of stone. This one was built in 1886, with three stories of Victorian brick, twelve-foot ceilings, Tuscan columns, and some gorgeous antiques. It has taken the family who owns it seven full years to restore it to the state in which I saw it, and apparently it is still a work in progress.

The colour photo of Room #18 on the inn's website was what captivated me at first sight. Think pale green wallpaper, original wood moldings, quilts, an antique desk and best of all, a private screened-in porch on which to relax or entertain guests. Call me nostalgic if you will, but let me enjoy a trip into the gentler past.

Breakfast was the cherry on top; with a choice of raspberry crepes with whipped cream, ham and cheese omelets with farm sausages, or eggs Benedict with sausages, you could not go wrong. Everything was fresh and delicious and served by friendly waitresses who were glad to share the locations of attractions in Ottawa with us.

I really do hope that one day we will be able to return to enjoy it all over again--maybe on our second honeymoon!”

Thanks again,

Bonnie Bosch

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CubicleGnome
Reviewed 4 July 2010

it was our 1st wedding anniversary. we were not sure whether to go to the swiss inn again ( we loved it in the forest king room) or try mcgees. we chose to try mcgee's. which i think was about $40 cheaper.

we stayed in the egyptian room.on the site it claims to have a double jacuzzi, but my husband hardly fit in it by himself. there's no way it was a double. the one in the forest king is literally twice as big. we used it in the evening, and the jets timed out, and wouldn't turn back on. several hours later they turned themselves on when we were in bed and scared us half to death. there are cracks in the mirror behind the jacuzzi, and all over the ceiling.
on our second day, the cleaning person came into the bathroom area while we were in the jacuzzi despite our many yells to let them know we were in the room. and at 2:30 am when we were sleeping we heard two gun shots outside that sounded like it was right in front of the building.i know that isn't their fault but, it's the area, i guess.

the decor of the room is just beautiful, and the bed was so comfy. it was very clean. there are a few channels with no sound on the t.v. which was annoying. we could hear quite loudly the t.v in the next room. the sound of machine guns wasn't very romantic.

the breakfast is not great. the omlett i had was really good, but the fruit salad was really cheap (mostly melons and cantalope) and the yogurt was also really cheap. its not a buffet breakfast. the coffee was just awful.

it's a nice place but for the $ you'll be spending, go to the swiss inn. it's a far better experience.the people are 100x friendlier. the breakfast is far far better. the jacuzzi was superior and overall they just don't cut corners like mcgee does.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank haley_angel
Reviewed 19 March 2010

We have been to Ottawa several times but this is the first time my wife, my son 26 and I have ever stayed at a B. & B. Some of the criticisms that I have read here are a bit of a stretch to say the least.

My wife and I are both over 60 and my son is disabled and if we can manage the tourist/walking to the war museum, art museum, bytown, parliament hill etc., it should be easy for younger families. To say that the Inn is creepy sounds like the immature comment from a younger person who is into horror movies and knows nothing about antiques and older homes. As far as the neighbourhood is concerned, larger, older homes that become B & Bs tend to be in older parts of the city. It is certainly safe to be outside in the neighbourhood at night, as we were. There are a lot of University of Ottawa students around but they are polite and well behaved. The only bother is that you soon learn that if you take a "wrong" street, you might be bothered by a few panhandlers but if you avoid the particular street next time the problem is solved. No danger and no impoliteness is present in any event.

In McGee's Inn, I paid cash on arrival and they did not have the correct change. It was only a matter of less than a dollar, but the next day they came to me at breakfast to give me the change. They were doing some renovating of some of the rooms but they were very careful not to disturb their customers and to do it, only when the customers were out and not during evening hours.

Breakfast provided a choice of eggs benedict, a variety of fruit crepes and omelettes, sausages, juice, coffee, muffins, cereal, toast, etc. and the service was as good or better than that in many restaurants. They quickly got used to whether you drank tea or a lot of coffee and adjusted service accordingly.

We would certainly come back and recommend this Inn to others. Even the strangers we met here were nice and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2010

I enjoyed my stay at McGee's. I've stayed in at least 5 other Ottawa B&Bs since I travel here once/year on business. Once in Ottawa, I travel on foot, so I'm looking for a safe and convenient location. The staff was friendly, but more hands-off than most B&Bs, but I appreciated this when on a business trip. The breakfasts were excellent, although with whipped cream on crepes, not the most healthy. I would suggest the management add a more basic option (any style eggs, or more cereal choices) to the typical options of a cheese-based vegetable/meat omelet and crepes. The decor in the common areas includes many collections (cameras, Queen Eliz. memorabilia). If you don't like being around knickknacks and Victoriana, then choose another place. My room was nice sized for a single person and very quiet. Bathrooms in converted houses are often so small they are barely useable. Although not large, my bathroom had full-height ceilings and plenty of room for me to move around. Given the good value and convenience to the locations I need to visit, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2009

The inn itself from the outside looks like Norman Bates house .. and there is not adequate parking for the number of rooms ... we ended up parking on the street a block away.

Once inside, much of the decor is a little creepy ... like someone trying to recreate a victorian atmosphere from bad Sherlock Holmes movies.

The rooms themselves were comfortable enough although ours was cold and we had to request an extra heater. The unsmiling gentleman who delivered it made it all feel like it was a terrible ordeal for him

But what really has upset is that we slightly stained a bed cover that is thrown on top of the comforter. The Inn unilaterally charged us $200 for something we believe could have been easily dry-cleaned or at worse replaced $50. We now hav to go through the hassle of disputing the charge.

At $200/night one expects better service and interactions

People who choose to go into the B&B business should be congenial, service oriented, friendly .... none of these apply to MGee's Inn

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple