“Ottawa: The Place to Be”
Review of Swiss Hotel

Swiss Hotel
Ranked #28 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Montreal, Canada
“Ottawa: The Place to Be”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Unique central gateway in the Canadian capital. Clean, modern, conveniently located next to Market By with its cafes, restaurants and trendy shops. Each room comes with its unique decoration and functional storage. European charm, affordable price, and the Owner, Sabine, a Swiss expat, is always helpful and cheerful. Comes with all the small attentions of big hotels: the tea, coffee, hot chocolate, and pieces of chocolate on your pillow. Made my stays in Ottawa memorable. Easy to connect from airport, train station and bus station.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Toronto
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I went to Ottawa this past weekend for the tulip festival. I wanted to pick a nice hotel that was not part of a chain, and was located close to the places I wanted to visit. I booked room 308 for 2 adults based on the reviews and I have to admit, the hotel & the room were fabulous! The staff were very courteous, friendly, and efficient. Our check-in and payment process took less than 5 minutes, we were given advice as to which places to see, where the tulip grounds were, and even cool eateries to check out. Our room was very practical, clean, and comfortable. The hotel overall was walking distance to everything we wanted to do. Although we didn't have breakfast there the next morning, the food sure did smell delicious! I would absolutely go back to this hotel next time I'm in Ottawa, in fact I don't think I'd consider anywhere else anymore.

Room Tip: Room 308 overlooks a beautiful, quiet street.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EA A
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Room 308 had a great view. the furnishing wonderful as well. The staff was friendly and eager to assist with our needs. I would highly recommend this B&B style hotel to anyone that prefers not to stay in the big chain hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank countrygirldeb
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I stayed at the Swiss Hotel for two weeks at the end of March and had the most wonderful experience. My room (standard double) was clean and cozy, and I looked forward to coming back to the hotel after a long day at work. The bed was incredibly comfortable, with perfect pillows, mattress and sheets. Decor of the room makes it feel like you are in Europe, which I really loved. Location is perfect. Close to shopping, restaurants, and even public transportation, should you need it. Sabina is the owner and she is wonderful! Great attitude and personality, very intelligent lady, and always aiming to making your stay perfect. I would highly recommend a stay here :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kokobo
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Quaint, small, B&B style hotel. We stayed in room 104, queen standard. Room was cozy but a little cluttered. Three sitting chairs, a desk, and a free standing closet seemed like a bit much for such a small room. Orange walls behind bed, hardwood floors and shag area rug are a warm touch. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. TV is good size and mounted out of the way. Coffee maker in room. Rooms come with Ipod/Iphone dock alarm clock and your own personal iPad which can come in handy. Rooms even have candles to burn. Bathroom was not large but still adequate. Shower stall(no tub) with rainfall shower head with plenty of water pressure. NIce fixtures, rustic tile floor and fire engine red tile in the shower. A/C was very weak but I'm not sure it was turned on yet as we were there during the spring when it was still a bit chilly out, the windows open though. Location is great, or not so great depending on your perspective. Hotel is tucked away in a residential area extremely close to Byward Market, which is good for those who want to be close to many nightlife options. Unfortunately it also means that on weekend nights people may or may not be wandering around till the wee hours of the morning. From our room the noise seemed to be minimal from the outside. Noise from inside the hotel can be a slight problem since it's an older building(creaking floors, noise from rooms above yours). Parking at hotel is limited and fills up fast at $12 a day. Staff couldn't have been nicer, made us feel right at home and since it's a small hotel you get more personalized attention. Overall I was more than satisfied, but some more high maintenance people may have some issues.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SHFT54
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I like quiet, small hotels. This one fits my specs. Recently renovated, clean, and in a quiet neighbourhood. Fifteen minutes walk from the Byward Market (a restaurant for every palate) and from the Rideau Centre (for your inner shopper) and to the major city bus interchange. Twenty minutes to Parliament Hill. Our room was small, but just right for our needs. And the windows open, so you can have fresh air (bonus!). You can get breakfast on site (smorgasbord for $15) with eggs or French toast (yum!). And best of all, the room rate is at least $50 per night less than hotels mere blocks away. iPad in the room, free Wi-fi, large-screen computer workstation in the lobby. Space for small-group meetings. The one drawback, for those with bad knees, is no elevator. But think of it as a built-in stair master. GDV

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side will be quieter.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Firstly let me say I was really looking forward to this hotel and wanted to love and expect it to knock my socks off but simply didn't.

Tripadvisor come become self fulfilling by a bunch of people with low numbers of reviews under their belts following others advice and then continuing the love gets when in fact the place, experience, etc is in fact just average, so here's my review.

Location - not impressed, a fee tattoo places and got challenged on the front step by a couple of guys while waiting to leave and the streets around seem to be the homeland of drunks and crazies - I used to live in a big cosmopolitan city and I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around here, just didn't feel right.

Check in :- arrived very late at night and did as instructed on the front door, pick up the phone, and got no answer, I then hunted around and on the opposite wall found a door with 'late check in' on a piece of paper. In this I found my key so basically my key was there in an effectively unlocked hotel with no security, anyone could have take my key and walked in, really bad security.

Room - I want their camera ! It makes everything look larger as the room I as in which was supposedly larger than standard was very small and the bathroom was tiny.

Decor of room - when you look closely or move any of the furniture you realize that it is in fact Ikea's finest, nice enough but photographs much better than it actually is, probably not all Ikea but mostly.

Now the three important things for business travellers

- bed, truly excellent and good quality pillows and bedding
- wireless, fast and free
- shower, I really hate these open type ones where half of you is cold whilst showering, they look good but getting sprayed with cold water whilst turning it on and then getting cold while showering really annoys me. Again style over substance.

Decor of public areas reminds me of a 1970's guest house in the UK, small pokey, nasty mirrors and generally faded, they clearly focused on making the rooms look nice which is fine but I expected everywhere to be stunning based on all the rave reviews.

Finish quality - lots of reviews mention cleanliness, I didn't see this as baseboards etc are marked and white walls have lots of scuffing so again style over substance, looks great until you look closely and I did because of the high ratings.

Noise - omg from everywhere, from street but more importantly the hardwood floors they are so proud of meant that I got 4 hrs sleep as whenever the person above me was up then so was I.

Breakfast - I misread the instructions in the room so thought it ended at 10 and when I went down it was all cleared up, my mistake but in a high service place I would have expected to be offered something rather than very nicely being pointed to Cora ........... Which was very good so glad I went.

My plans changed meaning that I could go home that day so got back to hotel by 1 and needed to use the room until 5 so asked about late checkout and was told cleaners left by 3 so was charged a full night to keep the room until 5, again in a service place I would have expected maybe 50% charge, I paid as I just needed to sleep.

This surely cannot be the best hotel in Ottawa, if it is then I pity travellers to Ottawa, use Tripadvisor with caution would be my advice to other travellers.

To management, I say please take this as an honest critique and do what you can to fix these issues and really live up to your currently undeserved ratings. I wavered here between average and poor, think it deserved poor but only because the expectations I had built from TA and your website were not close to being met. I kept it as average as wanted to give you a wake up call rather than damage ratings, hope you appreciate the honest critiques from regular travellers as well as the glowing reports, that is after all what TA is for ...........

Rob

1 Thank OmanRob
svs3, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear OmanRob,

Thank you very much for staying with us, and for taking the time to write us this review.

This neighborhood is beautiful and vibrant and predominantly characterized by student housing due to the Ottawa University being a few blocks away and heritage buildings (like ours!). The city has decided to pool many of its social services downtown, you will be extremely hard-pressed to find any hotel located as close to the downtown core as we are without said locals walking by. We cannot control pedestrian traffic.

Ottawa is a safe city, comparable to downtown Calgary - not quite a "a big cosmopolitan city" yet. Like in every city, there is homelessness, and like in every city, it is not invisible. However, homelessness does not equal violence. Ottawa is considered one of the safest cities in Canada, and this area in particular is home to many elderly people, university students and families (including my own) who choose to live here for the sense of community and walkability in the city. Perhaps your complaints should be redirected to the inequalities produced by capitalism, not our establishment. The tattoo place you are talking about is on Rideau St., we are literally blocks away.

We are a small, European-style hotel with 22 rooms, privately owned, and we depend on our policies so as not to be taken advantage of. Our check-out time is clearly stated as 11 am, and we are very clear about our 48 hour cancellation policy in all of our peripheral literature.

We wouldn't put the pictures online if we didn't feel they were representative of the room, and for every instance that you can see a room on our website we also list the square footage alongside it. Our "Swiss" flair may manifest itself in smaller rooms - but also in beds that certainly did NOT come from IKEA.

Again, thank you very much for staying with us, and thank you for your comments.

Sabina Sauter,