“Charming small hotel”
Review of Swiss Hotel

Swiss Hotel
Ranked #35 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Swiss Hotel will become my “home” when in Ottawa.
Small cozy hotel located on a small quiet street, yet steps away from public transportation.
European atmosphere, super gracious owner, Sabrina. The most comfortable bed I have experienced, single occupancy room small but with more than the needed amenities. Even an IPad in the room!
Fantastic breakfast with a large variety of healthy food.

Room Tip: No elevator
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I travel to Ottawa for business pretty regularly and this place has quickly become my hotel of choice. The location is fantastic, just steps from the market. The service is also excellent. The owner is very committed and involved in the business. She's always super friendly and helpful. The building is historic and has a really nice vibe. The rooms are a mix of old wood floors with modern European furniture. The beds are really comfortable and I've never had an issue with noise. The TVs can be a bit finicky but the owner will explain how to get around any issues. Make sure not to miss the breakfast. You'll get eggs cooked however you want, along with a variety of toast, pastries, fruit, cheese, cold cuts and a Swiss yoghurt muslix mix. I'd highly recommend this place to anyone travelling on business or pleasure to Ottawa.

Room Tip: While all the rooms I've had are great, I'd suggest going for a queen plus room. While the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2013

More like a B&B than hotel in many respects - locally owned and operated, great location for the conference I attended, with nice pluses like great bedding and an iPad in every room. Rooms vary in size and pricing and breakfast is offered (as an extra) - rates are better than competitive. Lots of shopping and places to grab a bite to eat in the general vicinity. I like to keep up with my workouts so I did miss basic fitness options (offsite options are available and running along the canal worked). I left a power cord behind, which they graciously mailed home to me.

I like to use public transportation, and the bus trip to and from the airport is easy. No elevator so not accessible (guess I could have run the stairs for a workout).

Room Tip: I went with the smallest room option - would upgrade to the next rate up for a little more room. I...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The best thing about the hotel is that is strategically located in the downtown/Byward Market area. You are close to the Market, the Rideau Center, University of Ottawa, tons of restaurants and even a few embassies! The rooms are comfortable, the beds are sumptous and the service is great. I have stayed here several times over the past few years and keep coming back, why tamper with perfection? The hotel may not be appropriate for people with mobility problems as there are stairs everywhere that for me just add more charm!

Room Tip: You have to be able to climb stairs, or ask for a room on the first or ground floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed at the Swiss Hotel during a conference, and was happy that the conference organizers recommended it. The staff was very helpful - because there are no elevators, a strapping young man ran my suitcase and briefcase up the stairs - and they went out of their way to make sure I had the information I needed to find my way around the neighbourhood.

The bedroom was spacious enough, and the plexiglass headboard on the sleigh bed was incredibly comfortable, to prop myself up in bed to read.

I took breakfast one morning, and there was a lot of variety - though mostly wheat and dairy. As I had little personal choice, I skipped breakfast the next day and went off in search of gluten-free products.

It's very close to the university and the restaurant district, so convenience was definitely a winning factor for me!

Room Tip: No matter what, you have to do stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband and I stayed for four nights and had a wonderful time in Ottawa. The Swiss Hotel is in a great location in Ottawa. I enjoyed the layout and architecture of the building- including the creaking stairs. We were in the King suite which is a huge space; more than enough room for the two of us. The bed was ridiculously comfortable. I wanted to take this bed and bring it back home to Edmonton. Sabine was a great host, always available when we had questions etc. The furniture is 100% not Ikea. It is modern and eclectic. I can see how people may be confused b/c visually it looks similar - modern, colourful, eclectic. It's not and you can tell by the quality. If anything it looks purchased from E3 Squared.

Our minor "complaints" - the Swiss Hotel is close to a University and Byward Market. On Saturday night neither my husband or I were able to get much sleep from the party party partiers coming home from the pubs and con't to party on their balconies. Sunday - Thursday it was quiet at night.
The second issue, is the breakfast is not included in the price. I wish Sabine would just increase the room price to include the breakfast. I knew we I booked our stay that breakfast was extra, I just don't understand why. It gives the illusion of being "nickel and dimed". The third small issue is that there wasn't a small fridge in our room. There was a communal fridge on the top floor for everyones use. But we had an expensive bottle of champagne and didn't trust it would still be there when we wanted it.

I would still stay at the Swiss hotel next time we visit Ottawa. I hope Sabine will add in a small fridge to the king/honeymoon suite. It seems like a logical thing to do for this room anyways.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
svs3, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you for your review!

We are a European style boutique hotel and we decided not to include our breakfast in our room rate for a few reasons:

To begin with, many of our clients are either business people who leave early in the morning or are on holiday and would like to sleep in past our serving hours, so we do not want to be charging people for a service they are not enjoying. Also, our proximity to the Byward Market and its many restaurants means that our guests have a number of options to choose from, and we do not wish to limit their choices when it comes to how they want to start their day.

It is a good idea to have a mini-fridge in that room! We will address that issue within the next week, thank you for the suggestion! Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope to see you soon!

Sabina Sauter

Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

We loved the location as it was close to the market but this B&B doesn't include breakfast!!! You have to pay extra!! What?! It wasn't mentioned on the site or emails and it was a surprise when I got there. They also charge you 4$ upon check out no matter how you pay. The breakfast was great but the $12 for it was not worth it. The room was extremely small as well and the bed wasn't made.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank KM H
svs3, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Thank you for writing this review.

A note about our Swiss Hotel bedding: our beds are made with a white 100% cotton fitted sheet and duvet cover in the European style. We do not use flat sheets. When we made up the room in question, we realized that the guest who came down and asked for the "missing" flat sheet had in fact assumed that the bedding was not complete. We apologize for the confusion.

We are not a bed and breakfast but a European style boutique hotel. Our breakfast is optional, 15$/person, and it says so clearly on our website under the "breakfast" in the "Rooms & Info" heading with our menu:

Fresh ground Swiss espresso
“Bircher Muesli” (Original Swiss Muslix)
French toast with real maple syrup
Eggs (as you like them)
Variety of breads
Fresh fruit platters
Croissants and muffins
Butter and assortment of jams
Variety of cheeses, nuts & salami
Cereals
Different yoghurt’s
Latté
Selection of teas
Hot or cold chocolate
Orange, apple and tomato juice

Again, we are sorry that it wasn't clear for you, from now on we will have a line about it in our confirmation e-mail for more clarity.

The 4$ you mention is the Destination Marketing Fee (DMF). The DMF is supported by the Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport, and is a levy that goes to Ottawa Tourism which is a non-profit organization with the sole function of promoting tourism in the Ottawa region. It comes to 3% of the room rate, as is not applied to any other charge. The fee is mentioned in our confirmation e-mail and on our website as well.

Thank you again for staying with us, we hope you decide to stay with us again in the future.