“Touch of the Alps in the Centre of Ottawa”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Swiss Hotel

Swiss Hotel
Ranked #29 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Okotoks, Canada
“Touch of the Alps in the Centre of Ottawa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

The room had been booked for me by the agency I was working with. My flight arrived late so when I arrived at the door and saw that reception was only open to 11 pm, I was a bit panic sticken. I should not have worried. There was another door hidding an envelope with my name on it and soon I was through the front door. Inside, I found my room and was quickly enjoying all the ammenities of this boutique hotel. From the iPad in the room to the alarm, it was very modern and comfortable. Clean, cozy duvet and crispy clean.
I enjoyed the breakfast for the two mornings and it was a bounty - breads, cheeses, jams, muesili, granola, an assortment of nuts and seeds for your cereal and then eggs and french toast made to order. A breakfast fit for a King!
Sabine is a lovely host who clearly enjoys her guests and her hotel. I will be returning to this gem.

Room Tip: Look at the website because there are a variety of rooms available.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DiamondJs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We have had a lovely time at The Swiss. The rooms are modern and clean, you get an i-pad, free internet and anything you need for a comfortable stay. The owner is a lovely and friendly person who always caters to your every need. We recommend the breakfast, which is cooked to your taste. We got egg, French toast with maple syrup, fresh coffee, you name it...Loved our stay

• Stayed December 2013
Cobourg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

This was one of the best choices we made. We picked the king sized bed with claw tub and fireplace. When we walked in the four poster bed was stunning. The room was immaculate and the ambiance terrific. Maybe it is our European heritage but what a wonderful change from all our cookie cutter hotel chains. We walked everywhere since it is centrally located and as for those reviews talking about homeless and unsafe streets...no clue what city they were writing about as we walked to all the pubs and restaurants at night and all we encountered was university students. The city was the same as always. The breakfast was fresh and homemade prompting us to reserve for the next morning also...felt like eating at home and knowing where your food comes from. The room did what we wanted..we needed to get away and not feel like we were holed up in a room... This felt like a home away from home, naps in the afternoon, bit of lounging and reading with a glass of wine, and ipading! The owner was wonderfully friendly and helpful and I noticed that everything past reviewers mentioned the would have liked...frig, coffee station...was all in the rooms. Truly a wonderful weekend getaway!!?,

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper bottom floor does hear street noise...take earplugs...the room is worth i...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gabe B
Banff, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

I had never been to Ottawa and just had the chance to go for 5 days for a conference at a swank place with fabulous architecture & interior decor. The price point to sleep at the conference venue was a tad too far from my budget......(more what I would imagine a lavish cruise ship might charge for intercontinental voyage). So I did some research and narrowed it to Swiss Hotel. My flight arrived past midnight - but the key card was right there for me with a personable note. Getting to my room, I was expecting small but it felt huge! Compared to places I've used in New York City- this place was a diamond find - the bathroom was comfortable, and decadently stylish, the shower had constant pressure, the toilets worked excellent...the furniture & fixing all high quality and way better than any typical 5 star hotel chain would provide. All the negative things I read about in the online reviews were ridiculously over exaggerated and petty. I received top notch service, helpful tips on where I could grab a quick bite of breakfast- this hotel is a true gem. It is run and staffed by experienced professionals- friendly people who go out of their way to provide platinum service. One thing that really stood out to me happened on my third night in Ottawa. Typical for this time of year, I came down with a cold and, in turn quarantined myself to the hotel room. The bed was comfy. Tissues- high quality. The room was a perfect temperature and spotlessly clean. Big widescreen tv with never ending channels, free wifi for my electronic doodads and a kettle for hot tea. Despite the regular bother of having a temporary ailment- nothing bothered me. It was super quiet- I slept like a log. I put a do not disturb on my door & was left to relax, rest, recharge. The next day the young girl at the front counter went above and beyond by lending me a lovely big umbrella to use. It was a tempest outside which my raincoat would have done scant good. I feel badly that it got stolen when I went shopping at some boutiques downtown. I should have stopped at a department store & bought a new one- and have noted to send a replacement in the post. The service & quality at the Swiss was so outstanding- I found it to be the sort of place that even the most itinerant of travellers might linger.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms are convenient if you have luggage. Windows are large and sunny but have floor to ce...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I was looking for two things when I decided on the Swiss Hotel. Boutique hotel with a decent price point and location, needless to say it was that and more. We stayed in the King suite (unfortunately the romantic suite was booked), which included King size poster-bed, fireplace (handy since we were there at the beginning of December), tub & shower, iPad and free WiFi. It was a super-modern and CLEAN room that more than made up for the romantic suite being booked.

I would have stayed at this hotel if it was a little out of the way, but it was exactly where you want to be when visiting Ottawa. We were walking distance to The ByWard Market, Rideau Canal and Parliament Hill.

I highly recommend and will be staying again, hopefully this time in the Romantic Getaway Suite. Almost forgot, Sabina (owner) was nice enough to give us free parking during our stay. Thanks again!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Swiss Hotel will become my “home” when in Ottawa.
Small cozy hotel located on a small quiet street, yet steps away from public transportation.
European atmosphere, super gracious owner, Sabrina. The most comfortable bed I have experienced, single occupancy room small but with more than the needed amenities. Even an IPad in the room!
Fantastic breakfast with a large variety of healthy food.

Room Tip: No elevator
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I travel to Ottawa for business pretty regularly and this place has quickly become my hotel of choice. The location is fantastic, just steps from the market. The service is also excellent. The owner is very committed and involved in the business. She's always super friendly and helpful. The building is historic and has a really nice vibe. The rooms are a mix of old wood floors with modern European furniture. The beds are really comfortable and I've never had an issue with noise. The TVs can be a bit finicky but the owner will explain how to get around any issues. Make sure not to miss the breakfast. You'll get eggs cooked however you want, along with a variety of toast, pastries, fruit, cheese, cold cuts and a Swiss yoghurt muslix mix. I'd highly recommend this place to anyone travelling on business or pleasure to Ottawa.

Room Tip: While all the rooms I've had are great, I'd suggest going for a queen plus room. While the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business