“Waaaaayyyyyy over rated !!”
Review of Swiss Hotel

Swiss Hotel
Ranked #28 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Boston, Massachusetts
“Waaaaayyyyyy over rated !!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

First I booked hotel on line, got no reply from the hotel to confirm my reservation, I called them myself to confirm. In the reservation I asked for the room with the jacuzzi. When I called to confirm the guy read my request said ok but when we got there we got a regular room. The room we got we didn't like. The decor is really strange they try to make it modern by putting ikea furniture in but it's all very cheesy. They have a king size bed but it's not modern at all the rest of the decor it's an old 4 post bed, the mattress is old I felt like I was falling into the center of the bed all night it's so worm in. Bathroom is extremely crammed two people can't brush teeth together. Shower is very inconvenient because of the glass door when u turn the water on you get splashed with cold water until it gets worm. No parking. Breakfast u have to pay extra for toast and fruit. We'd never stay here again and we r not super picky. For the price not worth it at all.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tolchinz
svs3, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014

You made your booking through our online real-time reservation system, and our automated e-mail delivery system has your confirmation e-mail logged as sent.

Unfortunately you had not booked the jacuzzi suite through our website as it was not available for the nights of your stay, and you had only indicated in the comments section that you were hoping to get an upgrade to that room. We only have one Jacuzzi Suite in our hotel.

Our breakfast is a full Swiss style buffet breakfast and is 15$+tax/person. Fruit and toast are definitely included in our buffet breakfast, but are not sold separately, or exclusively. You can see the pictures of our breakfast online through Tripadvisor.

As stated in all of our literature, our parking is available on a first-come- first-served basis, and is 12$+tax/night. We are within blocks of numerous lots and there is free street parking near the hotel to tide our customers over until a space becomes available with us.

We recommend that all of our prospective guests have a look at the pictures on our website (or on Tripadvisor) before booking as they are up to date and are good reference points for the size of our rooms and washrooms.

Whether it was due to miscommunication or error on our part, we regret that your visit was less than ideal. We completely understand that you were upset at our receptionist for having seemingly set your hopes up for an upgrade when in reality you were made to honor your original reservation. We regret this unfortunate development, and will speak to the receptionist who was on duty about his clarity in these cases.

Sabina Sauter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We had our wedding night there, we took the Honeymoon suite, it's really beautiful, traditional wooden floor, and beautiful bed, nice jacuzzi. The only con is that for the price we paid, the parking was not included and also the breakfast was not too. The reception staff was really nice. So overall a good place if you want quiet time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Markham, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I spent 2 days in Ottawa with my boyfriend for the tulip festival. We came across with this hotel on TripAdvisor with great reviews, so we decided to give it a try.. And trust me it was the wisest decision that we had ever made! Although the parking space was limited (there were only 5 spots I believe), the location was excellent.. Everything is just walking distance. The owner of the hotel was very nice and friendly, she gave us great advises with restaurants and ideas of where to visit etc. She spent a good amount of time explaining everything in detail! And trust me, she is a person to go to as she studied history and educated me a lot on that part.. The room was cozy and neat. The hotel was renovated lately, it still keeps some historical features to it! We had a great time during our stay! Oh, I forgot to mention their buffet breakfast... It was delicious! Everything is freshly made when ordered!! My boyfriend and I have been to Ottawa last year and stayed at another hotel.. But we both decided to come back to this one if we ever go to Ottawa again! Trust me, you will not regret it!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Magzi1015
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Far nicer than the usual bland corporate hotel, this family run enterprise is warm , welcoming, comfortable and in a great location. The room was bright, scrupulously clean, well equipped (I needn't have brought hair dryer and tongs) including free iPad. Breakfasts delicious - Sabina's homemade muesli is a must - and the only problem is not overeating. Very reasonably priced, I was really pleased with my 5 night stay here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Susan K
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Owners are friendly and accommodating. The rooms are large, spacious and modern. Had and ipad in the room, with high speed Internet, ipod dock and music player.The location is also good, just a two minuet walk from the main street, restraunts and night life. Had a great stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Have not stayed here but disappointed at their inflexible policy for business travel. Had to change my reservation which was fine. Then had to cancel with 48 hr notice. Lady on the phone was very rude, did not listen and only emphasized that she would be charging me for one night. Disappointing - with business travel can't always make things work to accommodate a hotel. I didn't appreciate their inflexibility. Will not stay there again or recommend to colleagues.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MD031
svs3, Owner at Swiss Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your review. We would like to take the opportunity to explain to you how a cancellation policy works, and what we were offering when we let you change your date of arrival.

All the confirmation e-mails we send and all of our literature online clearly states our cancellation policy: if you cancel your reservation 48 hours before your arrival date (by 6pm) to avoid paying any fees. We understand that many people can’t be bothered to read policies, so when people try to cancel the night of their arrival (as you did here) we are in the habit of allowing them to change their reservation date to another night. This is the situation in which we found ourselves, in your case.

You cannot, however, ask to move your reservation to a different date just to cancel the new reservation within the “new” cancellation window to avoid the cancellation fee. We are sorry, but we do not let people exploit this perceived loophole in our cancellation policy. We are sure that you, a business traveler, can understand why we, a small business, function in this way.

We hope to meet you in the future!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Look no further! Here is the centrally located, completely renovated, super clean independent hotel in Ottawa. You can walk to Parliament Hill or By Market, see the tulips and walk along the canal. Rooms are modern, well furnished, including your own ipad! Your host Sabina cooks her own bread and no PhD in decoration would beat her. Come enjoy this oasis of calm, cleanliness and cozy atmosphere right in the center of Ottawa. Easy to commute from airport, train station, bus station or by car and taxi. Enjoy the jungle shower in your room! This is my second year visiting this hotel and I hope to come back next year!

Room Tip: Ground floor is good for heavy luggage but you may prefer higher floors for the view.