“Good Business Hotel in a Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ottawa Marriott Hotel

Ottawa Marriott Hotel
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Manchester, Connecticut
“Good Business Hotel in a Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel in August 2014 while on a business trip to Ottawa. The location is right in the heart of downtown Ottawa near all the major attractions, shopping, restaurants, etc. Being a downtown hotel, parking is at a premium. I parked in a garage adjacent to the hotel on Queen Street for C$18 per night. After parking, I did not take my car out of the lot because everything I needed was within walking distance. The hotel is near Parliament, and it is about a mile from Byward Market. The area near the hotel has several promenades that are closed to traffic. It makes walking in these areas very easy.

The hotel itself is what one would expect from the Marriott. The hotel was clean and well appointed. I was given a large corner room, which had windows and outdoor balconies on two sides. My room had a Keurig coffee machine, a work desk, and wireless internet access for up to 5 devices. The hotel also had wireless internet access throughout the hotel. I used the concierge lounge for the complimentary water, coffee, and tea. The lounge was very comfortable and had great views of the city. I also used the exercise room, which was located next to the indoor pool. The pool looked nice, but I did not use it. The exercise room has a mix of cardio and weight machines. It is not large, but it is functional.

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, and the rate was very good, especially considering that it is late summer. Tourists were everywhere in downtown Ottawa, and I would have expected to pay more due to a higher demand for rooms. The staff was friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Greg A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Markham, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

This hotel was booked through hotwire. The location was close to the Parliament Buildings. Parking was extra but cheaper than a lot of the other hotels that I was looking at ($18) and the parking garage was adjacent to the hotel with access to the hotel from the garage. Internet was included and we had no problems connecting or with the speed. Check in was easy and we were told that our 5th floor room had just been renovated the week the before. The room was nice enough and beds comfortable but I would have preferred more options for the pillows. There were two large decorative pillows on each bed and one pillow with minimal support to sleep on. I would have preferred a firmer pillow instead of the decorative pillow to provide more options. The real issue we had was the size of the bathroom. The toilet was pretty much in the middle of the bathroom and if you had the door open the door would almost hit your knees if you were sitting on it (to give some idea as of the amount of free space in there). There was room for only one person at a time so if you have a family of any size plan on extra time getting ready especially if you have females who need to do hair and makeup. I had to sit on the floor in front of the mirrored closet to do my makeup because it was the only other mirror outside the washroom so that the rest of my family could brush their teeth and get ready themselves. On a side note, the light switch for the bathroom isn't in the bathroom or outside the bathroom its one of the switches when you enter the room. Given the price we got through Hotwire the hotel was a good enough deal but I wouldn't consider it a 4 star hotel and I wouldn't pay full price for it.

1 Thank 28jennifer
Hamilton, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Stayed here on a Hotwire booking. Good location, a reasonable walk to Parliament Hill and other attractions. Room was a good size, clean, comfortable bed. Check-in was pleasant, but not anything special. Like many downtown hotels, parking is not included. There is a public parking garage immediately next to the hotel with designated areas for guests and direct access to the hotel from underground, which was convenient. However, parking rates were $18/day maximum, automated, no in/out privileges so it can add up if you are intending to leave and return a few times during your stay. Although signage indicated the hotel did issue parking passes, they were neither offered nor discussed. I'm not sure if you'd have any luck getting your parking looked after but it would be worth asking. I had asked about an upgrade but the hotel was 'oversold' the night we were staying. We were satisfied with our accommodations overall, and would consider this hotel again on a future visit.

Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pete483
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

If you are looking for a great location to roam around downtown Ottawa this is the place. Just two blocks is the Parliament building, 15 minutes walk to Bayward Market, Rideau Center and restaurants.The hotel itself is excellent the staff is very friendly and accommodating. From the valet to the front desk the experience was very good. Our hotel room was on the 25th floor facing the parliament building and the Rideau Canal. The room was clean, a little bit small for a family of four. The bathrooms are tight but clean. Hotel parking is not free and very limited so if you want a hassle free parking you may want to used valet parking they advertised around $22. dollars but for an over sized vehicles like SUV's and Truck like ours RAM 1500 you will need an oversized parking cost us $30/day. Our accommodation was including breakfast and free WIFI...Wifi is good no need to update for a $10.00/day if you are not downloading heavy files. The lounge area were the preferred /platinum clients goes for breakfast is on the 26th floor a corner and perfect view of the Canal and the Parliament. You can watch the changing of the guard while having breakfast. The continental breakfast is very good, Their muffins are the best muffins I ever tasted. A variety of fresh fruits and a choices of bottled juices, teas and coffee. I would definitely come back and stay on this hotel again.

1 Thank Anina S
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

When we entered the lobby, we were greeted by the professional guest service agents, all wearing smiles . The Front desk and hotel staff were extremely accommodating with every request and went out of their way to make us feel at home and comfortable. Marriott Hotel Ottawa has all the special little touches with their Club Lounge and the hostesses were outstanding. The room was clean and well decorated with a view of the beautiful Ottawa escarpment. Cuisine in the SPIN Restaurant was excellent, especially the creation of your own salad, and the professional staff and service were very attentive. We really enjoyed our evening and it was a wonderful relaxing experience with excellent customer service.

Ottawa is a picture-perfect city with the most beautiful flowers cascading from our window. Being in a hotel for a 4 day family trip with our two daughters and everyone was very happy. Our room was perfectly equipped, spacious, comfortable, and very quiet at night. Attentive staffs from front desk, restaurant and Concierge level rooms featuring private lounge access along with upgraded amenities and services were extremely friendly and helpful. We had a pleasure to meet Mr. Daniel Laliberte, the General Manager, who took time from his very busy schedule to show his hotel facilities with dignity and pride. Mr. Laliberte and all his team members were extremely service oriented and professional. We were very appreciative of their kindness.

Thanks to the Marriott Hotel - Ottawa for a great family trip! We will be back.

Room Tip: Corner mini suite
1 Thank FrankVismeg
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I am in the business of customer service and so when I see a good one I am quick to recognize it and if its crappy, trust me I am very expressive. I recently spent a week at the Ottawa Marriott downtown (week of Aug 17th 2014) and I could not have asked for anything more. I had tried to book the Fairmont Laurier which was sold out (except for the $750/night executive room), and so I went to read the reviews on this hotel before I booked. What jumped out from the positive reviews were the comments on friendly and helpful staff, and I lived to experience this myself. From the concierge, to the front staff, to the cleaners, everyone was helpful and greeted you with a smile every single day and time. My room was very clean throughout my stay. On one night I wanted to step out for a walk and it was raining, I got offered an umbrella before I could ask. On my check out day, I was offered a late check out to 2pm for free(just by asking if I could leave my luggage for pick up later in the day). I have travelled to several cities in Canada and US and my experience here really would rank as one of the best for the price (which is really modest for an Ottawa downtown hotel). Please keep up the standard of service, because when next I am in Ottawa, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: 19th floor very good
Green Features: Very good. The hotel encourages environmental friendliness by offering a $5 credit to the restaurant or onsite Starbucks, for each day of not taking the room cleaning service, which I took advantage of 2 nights.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kunle T
Peterborough, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

If you are looking for a great location this is it, If you are looking for luxury it is not, it is ok but for what it is, I think is a little pricey specially if you are paying the full price, parking is not included and the pool is outdated and a little claustrophobic, I have stayed in 3 star hotels that are more modern than this one. My experience wasn't bad but it wasn't great either I dont think I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Not sure if the re is rooms with nice view, if there is make sure you book one. I gad two rooms in d...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family