“Avoid it like it's got the plague.”
Review of Value Inn

Value Inn
Ranked #60 of 69 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 19 May 2010

I booked a room for one night at this hotel for two of our Managers, based on location, price & the photos on their website, which, while not fancy, do make the rooms appear clean & tidy. The booking agent was very friendly & helpful, however, Manager #1 opted to stay with friends in the city. Manager #2 chose to stay in the hotel. When Manager #2 returned, he asked that I never book it again as it was absolutely horrible (I believe he even used the term "flea-ridden"). Manager #1 could not stop laughing at how bad this place was. Next time, I will stick with well-known names that have reputations to uphold, such as the Travelogde down the street.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank AdminCoord

Reviewed 21 March 2010

Older motel undergoing renovations. Great Chinese takeout and Wendys next door with McDonalds across the street made for an afordable stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank davidslingshot
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Unfortunately my 2 daughters and I had the unpleasant experience of staying 1 night in this sorry excuse for a hotel. We arrived at 10pm and walked into the room that smelled like an abandoned funeral home...nasty! The sheets, blankets and 1930's bedspreads, and love seat all had cigarette burn holes. The room was supposedly non smoking but it smelled alot like "another" type of smoke. I guess you can smoke weed here but no cigarettes. The water in the tub ran brown. When I called the front desk the rude little man behind the counter said to run the water for awhile which sort of worked but the water was still a rusty yellow with flakes of "something" floating around. I then called the front desk again and said we would like a room change. With much attitude they put us in a room with no heat and an ancient space heater that did not work. By 2 am the pipes that were contantly banging and squeeking in the walls put me over the edge. I called the front desk again only to have the clerk yell at me and said if I wanted to sleep in the 1st room we were in we could move back there and use the 2nd room if we needed to use the shower.....not an issue since I enjoy spending $120 a night to get 3 hours rest. My daughter suggested we pack up and try and sleep in our van.....great idea if it wasn't mid February. There is also no wifi connection which is advertised but at least it makes them sound modern. BEWARE!!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank Ellieontario71
Reviewed 20 February 2010

Terrible

I cannot describe this hotel better than this.

Just an example of service provided by this hotel - We were provided a room with failed heating system in -22 degrees windchill and provided with a portable heater with no heating capacity in such a cold weather. When complained the receptionist told its impossible that heating is not working. When asked to check, they threatened me to not to have argument or they will charge me full charge. EVERYTHING ELSE WAS pathetic, too.

DONT EVER VISIT THIS **** A TOTALLY NIGHTMARE.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank Handsome_Heart
Reviewed 16 October 2009

The title says it all. Don't waste your time or money at this place.

I made an online reservation a few days before checking in. When I arrived, the man told me that he could not hold my reservation since my credit card wasn't approuved lol
He then suggested a different "upgraded" jacuzzi room plus fire place for $189 plus taxes (total of $217) instead of the one I reserved (jacuzzi and fire place) for $168 (taxes in).
I accepted because I didn't have time to search for another decent hotel to stay at.
I paid him in US currency since I was just coming back from the states. This place take US at par!

The picture of their website is totally misleading as this place is not a hotel. You park your car in front of your unit and enter from there.
It's basically an old run down cheap motel.

I entered the room and the inside smelled very old, humid and musty. The heat wasn't even on!
The carpets are old and ugly too.
I ended up with the same same I had reserved in the first place for more money! What a deal!

Later, I called to get some extra pillows since the 2 on the bad are paper thin. I also asked for new bed linens since the one on the bed was stained!
The bed cover and the thick green blanket were full of cigarette burns!

I also asked for extra towels since my husband and I wanted to use the jacuzzi and make sure we had clean and dry towels for the next morning. I was denied this request. They told me I could use the ones we had at the moment and when we needed more towels, they would take back the wet ones and give us clean ones lol

They advertize free internet. Yes, it's free because they don't have a wireless connection network to connect to! Can't charge for a service that is non-existant.

I could go on but it's not worth it...

I will never go back there again!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HappyCouple72645
Reviewed 14 October 2009

It was near midnight, and my wife and I had just finished driving from Quebec City and needed a break after 5-6 hours.

After checking in, noticed there was horrible smell in room, furniture was chipped, cracked and burnt. Sheets were dirty. Blankets had burn holes in them. Toilet didn't work. We told the night manager, who moved us to another room that was no better.

He wasn't very helpful, and suggested we speak to the owners in the morning.

They were even worse. As soon as we told them our experience, they started yelling at my wife, and calling us cheap because we complained about the quality and wanted some kind of refund.

The room was $110, plus $100 deposit. I told them that for an extra $20, we could have driven another 10 minutes and stayed at Holiday Inn downtown Ottawa.

The owner/manager's wife came out, glared at us with the "evil eye" and started yelling at us as well, and said that if we keep complaining they wouldn't refund our damage deposit.

This place is a dump, and a fire hazard. The rooms are not a bit as advertised, and any of the so-called services such as wireless internet don't work.

The owners are getting by by renting to drug addicts and prostitutes.

I wish I was making this up. This is not a good way to do business.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank OakvilleConsultant
Reviewed 13 September 2009

The hotel advertised wire less internet, but it never worked, when the stove was turned on the elements would smoke, the toilet didn't flush properly, continually had to request clean face cloths, towels, toilet paper. All of these issues were brought to the attention of the managers but we got no cooperation . Our intended stay was for 2 weeks, but due to the circumstances we left after a week. My credit card was swiped for security reasons. Even though I paid cash they put it through. I made an attempt to rectify this with the manager but got no cooperation.Passed matter on to credit card company who are now dealing with it.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple