“Comfortable Hotel and Good Location”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Downtown
Ranked #47 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Ottawa
“Comfortable Hotel and Good Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I spent one night at this hotel while sequestered for jury duty in Ottawa. I was pleasantly surprised with the room. It was large, bed was comfortable, and it was clean. We had breakfast in the restaurant in the morning and it was ok...If I was there again I would stick to the basics as I ordered the eggs benedict and the hollandaise sauce was quite different and not in a good way. I am from Ottawa so I can attest to the location of this hotel. It is great! Lots of great things within walking distance - good restaurants, the Museum of Nature, the Rideau Canal, Rideau Centre, Byward Market, NAC and more. I am not sure the cost of this hotel so cannot comment on that aspect. I would recommend this hotel to friends visiting Ottawa.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jaboda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Black Creek, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

There were five of us, gathering from various places around Canada, for a surprise birthday celebration for my sister, who lives in Ottawa. There were a couple of different repair projects going on, but the staff were helpful, and apologetic for any inconveniences (hardly noticeable). We ended up needing more pillows, more blankets, a cot --- you get the idea! The staff were so friendly and co-operative. Nothing was too much. We walked down to The Glebe (lovely shops) and the day we checked out, we asked if our luggage could be left, since we were about an hours walk from the restaurant we were meeting at. Absolutely no problem. I highly recommend them.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Woking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Perfectly placed in the centre of town. Easy walk to the canal, market and historic sites.

Check in was fine, there is some renovation work going on but it did not disturb us. They are rebuilding the garage so there is no car parking. There is a car park close but the receptionist recommended another a little further away. Yes it may have been safer for the car but 19.50 dollars for a Sunday night! Too expensive.

The room was spacious, well equipped and clean. Nice room.

I was not keen on the breakfast, I found it overpriced. You order from the menu, there is no buffet as most hotels have. I ordered bacon and eggs but they fill the plate up with fried potatoes that I did not want. I left there hungry, annoyed and wish I had gone to Denny's!

As I said the hotel is well placed to see Ottawa. I would stay there again but next time park on the street and take breakfast elsewhere.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Redlodge52
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Redlodge52,

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the breakfast experience. We will look into this concern.I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Forest Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

tHIS WAS AN UNBELIEVABLE SURPRISE TO SAY THE LEAST. The room was fabulously comfortable and pleasant as a suite should be The staff was not only professional but very helpful as to many choices of beer and wine and locations to eat. I was too exhausted to go out but the restaurant - Lane's - prepared some of the best meals I have ever had. So the food and the location as well as the comfort were more, much more than expected. Fantastic and the staff was wonderfully friendly!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

They did not mention that the work they are doing on their parking lot means not only that it is closed but that you will have to deal with jack hammering from early in the morning until late in the evening. You can hear and feel it even high up in the building. I looks like they have a lot more work to do and I'd strongly recommend giving this place a miss if you are looking for peace and quiet.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank MertotheTraveller
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear MertotheTraveller,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Ottawa.

Karen G.
ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed for one night on a quick stopover enroute to Quebec. I was assigned a smallish queen room on the 16th floor. It was clean and quiet despite backing onto the bank of elevators. Nice view overlooking city hall and parliament hill. My only complaint is that I was told there was secure parking onsite. There is not. It is closed for construction and guests must park at the city hall underground lot a couple of blocks away. It's not a major inconvenience, but I would have chosen differently had I known. Otherwise, location is good and central.

• Stayed March 2014
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Very unhappy with the communication at the time of the booking and when we arrived to check-in. We were not informed that the hotel parking lot was under construction and that there would be drilling all day from 10am-6pm. This driilling vibrated upto the 16th floor, which is the top floor. Restaurant and lobby was empty all the time. Also, I was told I could park at City Hall "it's only $3.75." They failed to verbally tell you that the price is only from 6pm - 6am, which means your charged by the 1/2 hr prior to 6pm then you need to get your car out of there by 6am or pay again every 1/2. I took my car out by 7 am and had to pay $22.00 in total plus you don't pay once then you can go in and out, NO....you have to pay again like a new customer.
Very inconvenient. Very time consuming. Not worth the money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Kim L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Kim L,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the parking options prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D