“Good Hotel”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Downtown
Ranked #47 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Spent two days Ottawa on a work trip. Hotel is centrally located just West of City Hall and North of the Rideau Canal. Staff were friendly and helpfull. Furnature and fixtures in the room were dated. Room however was large, clean and had an excellent view. Free WIFI. Gym is poor. Overall recommended for short work stays. Only issue I had was that the building is undergoing noisy renovations to the parking facilities during the day.

Room Tip: Excellent view for rooms on the East side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank recceptl
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear recceptl,

Thank you for staying and sharing your experience with us. I am glad that you found our hotel staff helpful and our rooms to be spacious and clean. However, I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced brought about by the current renovations. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Faith R

Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is barely an okay hotel.It does has a very convenient downtown location .The bed is comfortable.The problem right now is that it is undergoing renovations.There is no on site parking at the moment.When we made a reservation this fact was not disclosed.If Holiday Inn was smart they would have made an arrangement with a local parking lot and made this information available at the time reservations were made.Also one of the three elevators was out of service making lengthy wait times especially during high traffic times.Early in the morning very loud noises emanated from the elevator under repair/renovation Our suite included a kitchenette which was convenient however the coffee maker was very old and barely worked.The coffee was very poor quality also.Why bother even including such poor quality extras?This hotel like many others in Ottawa is old and tired.It could use an update.i would suggest going somewhere else for the time being.

Room Tip: The north side rooms and near the elevators are very noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CuriousGeorgeIV
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear CuriousGeorgeIV,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the current renovations prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I spent a little over a week at this hotel during a recent business trip and I enjoyed my stay.

The hotel reception staff was kind and courteous, the standard room had a small fridge which is always welcomed. The bed was very comfortable and I always had good sleeps. My room cleaned nicely each day.

The location of the hotel is perfect for walking time of about 10-15 minutes along the canal to the Rideau Center shopping mall, and the ByWard Market. Shops and restaurants are only two blocks away, so it was very convenient to get away to eat without a car.

The only thing I did not enjoy was the elevators, as they creaked, and shaked, making it an unpleasant ride, but these elevators are being revamped as I write this post, so this situation should be short lived. Also, the hotel is undergoing renovations which includes a a complete overhaul of the underground parking, so parking is inconvenient at the moment.

This will not deter me from returning and I would recommend this hotel to any traveler in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rick Z
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Reserved this room for my sister and her husband and everything was nice. We went there to check them in and the staff were friendly and rooms clean. It's a good location for going around so they thanked me for it. Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I spent one night at this hotel while sequestered for jury duty in Ottawa. I was pleasantly surprised with the room. It was large, bed was comfortable, and it was clean. We had breakfast in the restaurant in the morning and it was ok...If I was there again I would stick to the basics as I ordered the eggs benedict and the hollandaise sauce was quite different and not in a good way. I am from Ottawa so I can attest to the location of this hotel. It is great! Lots of great things within walking distance - good restaurants, the Museum of Nature, the Rideau Canal, Rideau Centre, Byward Market, NAC and more. I am not sure the cost of this hotel so cannot comment on that aspect. I would recommend this hotel to friends visiting Ottawa.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jaboda
Reviewed 22 April 2014

There were five of us, gathering from various places around Canada, for a surprise birthday celebration for my sister, who lives in Ottawa. There were a couple of different repair projects going on, but the staff were helpful, and apologetic for any inconveniences (hardly noticeable). We ended up needing more pillows, more blankets, a cot --- you get the idea! The staff were so friendly and co-operative. Nothing was too much. We walked down to The Glebe (lovely shops) and the day we checked out, we asked if our luggage could be left, since we were about an hours walk from the restaurant we were meeting at. Absolutely no problem. I highly recommend them.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Perfectly placed in the centre of town. Easy walk to the canal, market and historic sites.

Check in was fine, there is some renovation work going on but it did not disturb us. They are rebuilding the garage so there is no car parking. There is a car park close but the receptionist recommended another a little further away. Yes it may have been safer for the car but 19.50 dollars for a Sunday night! Too expensive.

The room was spacious, well equipped and clean. Nice room.

I was not keen on the breakfast, I found it overpriced. You order from the menu, there is no buffet as most hotels have. I ordered bacon and eggs but they fill the plate up with fried potatoes that I did not want. I left there hungry, annoyed and wish I had gone to Denny's!

As I said the hotel is well placed to see Ottawa. I would stay there again but next time park on the street and take breakfast elsewhere.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Redlodge52
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Redlodge52,

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the breakfast experience. We will look into this concern.I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.