“Needs a lot of work”

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2014

+ upgrade from queensize-bed to kingsize-bed
+ interior (fridge, coffee maker)
+ Wi-Fi availability was okay
+ clean room
+ very nice staff
+ near to a super market and (fast) food possibilities

- noisy

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Good
When I travel for business, I routinely select properties that are the most economical and nearest to my job site. Travelodge is very inexpensive for the location so that is a good thing. Also, the cleaning staff were incredibly friendly and went out of their way to make sure I had everything I needed. Though the rooms look dated, there are no odd smells from the towels and sheets. I think they run a very clean operation here even though it needs work with furnishings. I must also commend the people at the front desk. Incredibly friendly, helpful, and accommodating. Well done!

The Bad
I understand that this is a family oriented hotel so the noise is expected. I would warn people away who are expecting a quiet place to stay. Unfortunately, I was not aware of the water slide in the center of the place. I do recommend if you bring children along. Children make lots of noise, and that is fine. I just wish I did my home work prior to booking. I do not recommend for business travelers.

The Ugly
Internet! I spend all day at a job site and I have to come back to check emails every evening. The wireless at this hotel is the worst I've ever experienced. It routinely drops me every two minutes or so, then I wait two minutes, then I'm on two minutes, then it drops me, etcetera. It's hard to write emails and work online if I can't keep a signal.

Air Conditioning! I get it. This is Canada so a lot of the rooms aren't sized to accommodate a heat load; however, when I first checked in, the thermostat was reading 28C/82F. I turned AC on and it was blowing warm for 30 minutes. Did not cool down. I requested a room transfer and they obliged. My new room cannot get lower than 26C/78F throughout the night. It's tolerable but they need to maintain their refrigerant levels better and check for freezing. I'd advise against staying in the summer.

Chlorine! Since there's a giant (albeit very fun looking) wave pool and water slide, the whole hotel smells of chlorine. If you're sensitive to this, I'd advise against staying here.

Final Thoughts
All in all, it's very affordable. The people are nice and everything seems clean. It has terrible internet, terrible air conditioning, and smells of chlorine. I do not recommend for a business traveler.

Room Tip: Check the AC before unpacking! If you are business oriented and must stay there, get a room facing...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Travellers also viewed these Ottawa hotels
Travelodge Ottawa East
Comfort Inn West
#39 of 68 in Ottawa
Holiday Inn Ottawa East
#33 of 68 in Ottawa

Been to Travelodge Ottawa West? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Travelodge Ottawa West

Address: 1376 Carling Ave | Carling and Kirkwood, Ottawa, Ontario K1Z 7L5, Canada (Formerly Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West)
Region: Canada > Ontario > Ottawa
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #60 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Price Range: £89 - £145 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Travelodge Ottawa West 3*
The Travelodge Ottawa Hotel and Conference Centre is a CAA/AAA 3-Diamond Full Service Property. Boasting Over 20,000 square feet of meeting space, a full convention services department and exceptional customer service. We offer an Executive Club Floor with a private Executive lounge for our business travelers enjoyment. Enjoy Ottawa's largest hotel Water Park, the Wet and Wild water Park. It features a wave pool, kid s pool, slide, hot tub and fitness room. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Travelodge Ottawa West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Travelodge Hotel And Convention Centre