“Good Food - Excellent Service - Slightly Overpriced”

Spin Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #113 of 2,726 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$7 - US$21
Cuisines: American, Bar, Canadian, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Byward Market Area
Cross street: Queen
Ottawa, Canada
“Good Food - Excellent Service - Slightly Overpriced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I recently frequented "Spin" on two occasions (lunch and breakfast) and was quite impressed with the quality and freshness of the food, as well as the impeccable service.

For lunch, my significant other ordered the 'Fish 'n Chips', while I 'spun' my own salad ("Spin" refers to the menu option where you get to pick your own ingredients (lettuce type, fruits/vegetables, nuts, cheese, meat and dressing) for a custom-made salad). Both our meals were excellent. The ingredients used for my salad were absolutely top notch, while portions were good and flavors were well balanced. Overall, I have to say that it was probably one of the best salads that I've ever eaten.

A few days later, we headed back to "Spin" for breakfast, and while the food was again very good (but nothing special), I was shocked at the prices! $18 for eggs, meat and toast is absurd when a diner will sell you the same thing for $4.99!

My overall impression is that while this restaurant is worth a try, there are better and cheaper places to eat in the downtown Ottawa area! The service cannot be faulted, and the decor is very nice, but the food just doesn't quite measure up to the menu prices.

• Visited June 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Excellent Service, Average Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

Had lunch today. The restaurant is beautiful, the service was excellent. The fish tacos were ok. Not bad, not great. Frankly I found the Mahi Mahi in it a bit fishy which makes me question how fresh it was. I suppose if I'm nowhere near an ocean maybe a fish taco isn't the best choice. Everything else in the taco (jicama, avocado etc) was good. Two good size tacos.
The service from the time we arrived to the time we left was excellent. The sweet potato fries were quite good.

• Visited June 2013
London, Ontario
“Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

What stood out the most was the excellent service we received at "Spin"", the restaurant/lounge at the hotel. I have been to many hotels where the service at the hotel can be hit or miss. The bartender, Kieran was helpful, engaging and super speedy. The waiters, Cristo, Duke and Ali were amazing. We really enjoyed the conversations we had with all of them. We found out that they had spent many years in the revolving restaurant upstairs so their service was absolutely excellent. Instead of staying in the Market district we opted to come back to the hotel and enjoy the lounge - the service there tops any fine dining restaurant or bar in the city.

Visited June 2013
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Average at best.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

Spin Kitchen and Bar is located on the main level of the Ottawa Marriott Hotel at 100 Kent Street. The restaurant and bar are open to the main lobby of the hotel, where guests check in and take the elevator to their rooms. In addition to the noise and commotion of the hotel lobby, the bar patrons can be quite loud, which limits the possibility of a quiet and romantic dining experience. When I visited on a Friday evening, the bar was packed with loud people attending a conference at the hotel the next morning.

The food selection was good, with a good variety of options. The prices however are on the high side, which is typical of a hotel restaurant; the portions were also quite small, especially considering the price. To top it off, the service (the waiter specifically) was very slow. It took him a long time to take our order, and he only followed up to check on us once briefly. When we were ready to pay, he dropped off the bill and disappeared, so I had to track him down at the bar area to pay.

Overall, I think this restaurant has the potential to be good, but unfortunately I can only rate it on my particular experience, which was average at best.

• Visited May 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Place For A Business Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

Spin is a great place to have a business lunch. The food is innovative and good, with great individual pizza with unusual ingredients. While $16 is a bit pricey for an individual pizza, the quality makes up for the priciness. Spin is good for business because the tables are placed far enough apart that you can talk freely without being overheard by your neighbours - a necessary plus in a political town like Ottawa where careers can be damaged by overheard conversations. The outdoor patio is a bit close to traffic, but most oudoor patios are like that downtown. Over all, a nice break from the usual lunch restos. I have eaten lunch her often and can recommend it.

• Visited May 2013