“Good breakfast”

Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
“Good breakfast”
Reviewed 22 June 2012

My husband and I were both very happy with the breakfast. Real home fries, not frozen potato cubes with seasoning salt and the bacon and ham were very flavorful. The price is great too! It's become one of our favorite breakfast places. We always have excellent and fast service.

Almonte, Canada
“Not happy”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I was not all that happy the breakfast was average I wanted to try it because of all the great reviews but I won.t be going back.The plates were plain and unappealing the waitress was very good but had long blonde hair hang down and keep play with it not something I like too see in a restaurant for the price I was disapointed Maybe that is why it is empty

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank 995gwendolynR995
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Kal's 911 Alert!!! Great Food!!!”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

On a recent venture to Stittsville/Kanata ( a.k.a west Ottawa ) I happened upon Kal's restaurant and decided to give this place a try. All I can say is...since that fateful visit, I've made myself a personal promise to stop in this fantastic restaurant each and every time I visit this part of town ( I live 30-40 minutes away ). The food is simply outstanding in every sense of the word. The service and staff are very friendly and attentive to customers needs ( they certainly give credibility to the old saying "service with a smile" ). Now....getting back to the menu, in addition to serving up great tasting restaurant standards such as pizza, subs, finger foods etc.....Kal's also offers up a variety of in-house specialty dishes ( ie: Kal's Beef Melt, Potato Crusted Cod etc....to name a few ). These dishes will leave customers wanting more each time they drop by. Another word of advice.......ensure you visit Kal's restaurant on an empty stomach since their over-the-top portions will undoubtedly leave you feeling completely full and satisfied ( I personally thought I had to place a call to 911 emergency services after finishing my meal.....I was worried I wouldn't be able to extract myself from the booth from feeling so stuffed!!!...lol ). But seriously, kidding aside.....if you love great home cooked food, at great prices and all of it served with a smile.....drop by Kal's!! You won't be disappointed!!

Daniel. A

1 Thank Danny A
ottawa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great family Restaurant-Something for Everybody”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Recently went in to Kal's for dinner with my family which consists of 3 fussy teenagers.
Let me tell you we were pleasantly surprised with the good selection of meal options on the menu. Everyone found something that they really enjoyed on the menu, I had the Pizza which was delicious, you could tell the dough, and sauce were homemade and the veggies were very fresh loved it!! We took home a take-out menu and and the pizza was consistent in freshness and quality as the dine in one I had. I would highly recommend this restaurant the staff is friendly, the restaurant is clean and there is a nice vibe to this place considering it just opened up just a few months ago. Give it a try you won't regret it!

Ottawa
“Decent pizza, lousy service, surly management”
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Since Kal's opened, I have frequently driven by the restaurant and felt bad that there is - literally - no customers in the restaurant. Often when going to the Shawarma Place next door or to Five Guys for burgers, I would notice Kal's would be completely empty. I frequently said out loud to whoever who would listen in the car or at home "That place is always empty, let's go try it out -- it might be a gem nobody has thought to try yet".

Now I know why it's empty.

First off, the positive: Pizza was pretty decent, lots of cheese and ample toppings. Romaine lettuce used in the caesar salad was also really fresh, which was a nice change from other restaurants where the crispness in the lettuce is little more than a pipe dream.

Areas to improve:

1) We walk in to the restaurant, which was totally empty, to be greeted by 3 staff members standing by the bar/kitchen area. Nobody else was in the restaurant except the three of them and two of us. Instead of saying hello or welcome, the staff stare at us as if to say "what the heck do you want?". We awkwardly say "Do we just sit anywhere?" and one of the staff replies "Do you have a reservation?" which I guess was a joke, but when the place is empty why draw even more attention to the fact that on a weekend your restaurant is totally and completely dead? We find our own seats and a couple minutes later the menus arrive. The staff, the two guys in particular, looked bothered to have to stop watching the hockey game in order to actually work.

2) The menu. I'm not even sure what to make of it, it's really a mishmash of everything from pizza to hamburgers to hamburger steak to steaks to pizza to stirfry (I think). It's a little odd though considering they are marketing themselves as a pizzeria and steak place to have a menu that is so all over the map. How on earth can you specialize in what you are supposed to be marketing (pizza and steak) when you have a pile of other things on the menu??! Needless to say the menu is too big in terms of diversity of food options.

3) The service. It's really a disappointment. We were the only people in the restaurant and they still got our order wrong. A couple beers, a pizza and a small salad ran us over $50. Plus, even though they got the order totally wrong, they didn't bother to comp anything. Fail.

4) Decor. It's actually a nice decor from outside but when you get inside, it's too bright, the seat backs in the benches are way too high and the tv doesn't need to be as loud as they had it. No music either.

Overall we wouldn't go back, nor would we recommend it to friends. Yes, the pizza was alright but the lousy service and the feeling like we were completely not welcome wouldn't make us inclined to return. It's quite a pity too... we were looking for a spot to bring about 15 to 20 friends to celebrate a special occasion and thought that maybe Kal's would be such a fantastic place that we could give them free publicity and some more business. After going there, we now realize why that place is almost always empty.