“Huge, modern rooms”

Ranked #13 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
South Pole
“Huge, modern rooms”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard Ottawa East for 3 nights with my girlfriend.

The hotel is located a short drive away from downtown. Expect to use a car to get around Ottawa. We found parking and getting around the hotel for the first time slightly confusing - more confusing than other hotels we've stayed at. The parking is quite badly designed and the amount of free parking space depends on what's going on in the conference center. One night the place was empty and another night we struggled to find a spot. Don't bother driving here if you drive a sports car - the entrance is extremely steep.

The elevators were slow even though they all seemed to be operational. We arrived around midnight and got checked in by a guy who seemed like he had just started the job. Not the best service ever.

We were pleasantly surprised by the size and quality of the room. For a modern building, the room height is awesome and there is a lot of space to move around. Everything was new and clean. The bathroom was no disappointment either - it had two showers! We got plenty of towels too. Well done, housekeeping.

The room had all the basics you'd expect from a business hotel. However, the USB port in the TV was broken so we could not enjoy the movies that I brought with me on a USB drive - slightly annoying. Also, the AC in the room made the air a bit too dry for us. Not the best thing if you have a cold.

We did not eat breakfast here. There are plenty of breakfast places within reasonable driving distance so it's not worth the extra price in my opinion.

We left the hotel with mixed feelings about our stay. We liked the huge, modern room. The broken TV and dry air made our stay less enjoyable than it could have been. In order to get five points from us, the hotel needs to offer something more than basic service. Still, it's a good choice for visiting Ottawa if you don't want to stay at a touristy hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alushousut

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Only stayed one night but would definitely go back. Had alittle construction on the street but didn't effect the hotel nice location great rooms at a great price. The service was excellent and very efficient.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Red247
Jennifer M, Director of Sales at Courtyard Ottawa East, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for posting your thoughts of our Ottawa hotel for the Trip Advisor audience. I'm delighted to know you enjoyed your stay.
We hope to see you again soon.
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The rooms here are absolutely gorgeous. But what is even more beautiful is the level of service displayed by the staff. We had absolutely wonderful encounters with Paige upon check in as well as another gentleman whose name - sadly I did not get. We also had a very good interaction with Jennifer the Director of Sales.
The room was wondeful - the location was perfect for us - but the people were what stood out above everything else to make this trip enjoyable.
Thank you all!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you ever so much for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor audience. I am so pleased to know how much you enjoyed the rooms and our amazing staff. We certainly are proud of them!
Look forward to welcoming you again.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My daughter and I were in Ottawa for a hockey tournament. I expected a no frills hotel. Instead, I was delighted to see a very large room, nicely decorated, extremely clean with very comfortable beds. The bathroom was large and clean. The restaurant's food was good (we had breakfast, lunch and dinner there!), but service was quite slow. This was probably due to the fact that we were a large group, and hadn't reserved before hand. Takeaway breakfast service was painfully slow as well. The only other issue we had were the wonky elevators that were very slow when working at all. I got stuck in one for 40 minutes. (Breakfast was comped). Hotel staff very professional.

Room Tip: You may want to avoid the rooms that are between the 2 elevators...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Jennifer M, Director of Sales at Courtyard Ottawa East, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback of our Ottawa hotel to the Trip Advisor audience. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our spacious, clean rooms and good food in The Bistro.We did have elevator challenges that weekend, something we're working on. As for the service in The Bistro, while that's not the norm, I thank you for mentioning it so we can explore further to see what the matter was.
Again, thank you for your time and look forward to welcoming you back.
Ottawa
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This morning I got in my car to go to work and proceeded on the Queensway. Little did I know that one of the tires on my car was deflating. My car went out of control and suddenly I felt my life was in great danger. With traffic ahead and behind me I didn't know how I was going to gain control of my car. It was a miracle that I was able to slow down enough to get off the road. Unfortunately there was no place for me to go and traffic was building up. So I drove on my rim and got off at the next exit. The Marriott Hotel was just off the highway and I pulled into the parking lot. I was shaking and scared remembering what happened to me. The parking attendant came over to my car and could see that I was in distress. I told him what happened and he comforted me and gave me his phone to call for some help. How kind of him. I proceeded to park my car and went into the hotel to use the payphone and the front desk seeing that I had been crying were so kind to me and let me use their customer service phone to call my work. Thank you for your kindness to me today, someone who wasn't a customer at your hotel, yet you extended your caring beyond the hotel doors. I can only imagine how well your customers are looked after when they stay with you. All the best and thank you again for your care. I won't forget it!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Elle L
Jennifer M, Director of Sales at Courtyard Ottawa East, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor audience. I'm delighted to know we could offer you assistance during this stressful time. We are definitely fortunate to have such wonderful and caring staff. I hope that all has worked out okay with your car.
Again, thank you for your time.
Whitby
Reviewed 4 November 2013

All aspects of this hotel exceeded our expectations for this price point. The room was large, well appointed and very clean! Every staff member we interacted with was courteous, helpful and seemed to have a genuine interest in making sure we were happy with the hotel. We used the exercise room (which is on the 15th floor with a nice view while you work out) and it was very clean and well equipped. We did not swim but the pool area also looked immaculate. Free Starbucks coffee in the lobby in the morning was great! We had a light breakfast at the bistro in the hotel which was very nice as well. If you don't need to be downtown, this is a wonderful hotel. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We were on the 13th floor and the view of Ottawa (though somewhat distant) was nice.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Jennifer M, Director of Sales at Courtyard Ottawa East, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience of our Ottawa hotel with the Trip Advisor audience. I'm pleased to know you enjoyed the things we take pride in like our spacious guest rooms and amazing staff!
Looking forward to having you with us again.
Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I frequently stay in Courtyards throughout the States and so it was an easy decision to reserve a room at a Courtyard when I travelled to Ottawa. I have always found this brand to be very consistent in terms of service and amenities. This hotel was no exception (in fact, I believe it exceeds other Courtyards…). Our room was huge, well appointed, clean, and comfortable. The service staff were always very friendly and helpful. At one point, I needed directions to a festival happening about an hour away from the city and one of the front desk clerks located the directions and printed them up for us. There is plenty of free convenient underground parking.

I would not only choose this hotel on my next trip to Ottawa, I would definitely recommend it to anyone else traveling to the area. It is an excellent representation of the Courtyard brand.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Jennifer M, Director of Sales at Courtyard Ottawa East, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts of our Ottawa hotel. I'm pleased to know you enjoyed it so much. We take pride in our spacious rooms and amazing associates - it's rewarding to know you had such a great experience with us.
Again, thank you for your time.
See you again.