“Spacious Hotel, Would Stay Again”

Courtyard Ottawa East
Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Halifax, Canada
“Spacious Hotel, Would Stay Again”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The reception was very friendly, and the lobby was nicely appointed. However, the big surprise was the size of our double room. It was extremely spacious. Although there were only two of us, I would stay here with my family of four and know we wouldn't trip over all of our suitcases. There was a little kitchenette with microwave and mini-fridge, as well as a sink and counter. The bathroom was large, although the counter space was smallish. The room was very modern, very clean, and comfortable. I found the bed firm, but not hard.

The only drawback is that this hotel does not have room service. We were visiting Ottawa to attend a dance competition, and we wanted to have breakfast delivered to our room. The hotel offers a Bistro Market, where one has to go down to the Bistro counter and place an order. I purchased cereal, a pre-packaged fruit cup, a Starbucks Americano (which was decent, but not the same as buying one at an actual Starbucks) and placed an order for toast from the kitchen. It took 15 minutes for the toast to be prepared. This was time I could have used to get ready in my room if room service was offered. 15 minutes seems a long wait for two slices of toast.

We ate in the bistro one evening, and I found the dinner fare average. Despite my daughter specifying no jalapeños, the ciabbatta was prepared with them. And my chicken quesadilla was mediocre, at best. I think the breakfast might be better, overall.

We checked in on a Saturday evening of a holiday weekend. The hotel was sold out, and the elevators were very slow the next morning. For some reason, housekeeping did not make up our room. We were out all day from 9 a.m., and only returned at 5:30. I was disappointed that our room had not been done, as we were very tired from the competition. As we were leaving to go to dinner,I saw their cart by room at 6 p.m. and asked them to come in. They said they would, but when we returned at 9:30 p.m., the room was still not made up. I called the front desk, and they were apologetic. They did send up more towels and offered to send a houseman to tidy up, but by then it was 10 p.m. and I wanted to go to bed.

Despite these quibbles, I would stay again, as the food options were not enough to detract from an extremely comfortable room, and I will assume that that our room would have been tidied the next day if we had stayed longer. The value was excellent for the quality of the room.

The drive to downtown Ottawa (ie. Sussex Drive by Parliament Hill) is 10 minutes, via the TransCanada. There are many restaurants to choose from there, as well as the Byward Market.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The staff provides outstanding customer service and very friendly during your check-in and check-out process. After entering my room I asked for pillows and blankets and I wasn't happy when I was asked why I needed so many pillows and blankets and how many people are in the room?. I shouldn't be questioned at all and then the next day when I requested for some plates, spoons and folks. They told me I had to go to the lobby and get it. I understand they can be busy sometimes but why were they able to send me pillows and blankets and not the plates, spoons and folks? Your paying a lot of money for their services and they can't spare even 5 minutes or less? Overall the room size and the bathroom were amazing but the bed sheets wasn't what I expected to be. The quality of the bed sheets were so thin and felt very cheap compared to other hotels I have been too but I would definitely come back for another night at this hotel because they provide very big guest room size and free parking.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Great location if you drive. I would say 10 min to downtown. Free-safe parking. Staff always smiling and very nice. Our room 1018 was huge and clean. The bathroom was very clean. On entry level they have a mini Starbucks counter with coffees, muffins, yogourts, fruits, bagels… perfect for breakfast. The restaurant have nice staff as well. The wait for the food was long though and most of the time we went it wasn’t busy. The food was ok. Its not very kids friendly but they have a short menu for kids, I think 2 choices. The pool is nice and clean on the 15th floor with a jacuzzi and gym. You get a nice view on Ottawa. On busy days we had long wait for the elevetor. Nights are very quiet but as early as 6am we can hear a kind of sliding-up-and-down annoying noise coming from the elevator. I would definetly go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thorold
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was a wonderful hotel. Very new and clean. We didn't use the restaurant but we had Starbucks that was conveniently located on the main floor. We stayed on the 7 th floor and loved the view. The pool and hot tub were clean and always had fresh towels and had an amazing view as well. The staff were very accomodating. The room was huge!! high ceilings and the washroom was big enough to fit 10 people :) Parking is free and although it isn't in the main district for shopping, the highway is 1 minute from the hotel and 5 minute drive to downtown. WalMart is a 3 minute drive from the hotel too. We will be visiting again in the fall!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views :)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 May 2014

- fairly new hotel, clean rooms, friendly staff
- decent location, although not the best. However, everything is within a short drive in Ottawa, so it's fine.
- we used Marriott points to redeem a stay here - it's by far the best deal in Ottawa.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The hotel is conveniently located near the downtown area but without all the noise and traffic around it. Not really within walking distance to very much, but it is easily accessible from the highway.

The hotel staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel seems to be well maintained, very clean and everything is working order. The hotel room feels refreshing and tastefully decorated. Bed is comfortable and we had good night sleep. We will be happy to go back again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DragonChaser
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My stay at this hotel was with a friend and this started my addiction to the Marriott chain. The hotel was excellent; clean rooms, fantastic food and boy, were the staff very helpful & friendly. Our room had all the amenities listed; Cookware, Refrigerator, Microwave. It was absolutely brilliant and I'd stay over and over again.

Room Tip: Always stay in a room high up :)
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank govtpikin
Gilles L, Manager at Courtyard Ottawa East, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear govtpikin,
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to extend our thanks for taking the time to review the Courtyard Ottawa East with such enthusiasm. We would be glad to help you treat this new addiction to the Marriott brand with repeat visits to our Courtyard Ottawa East every now and then! Happy to hear and see that all aspects of your stay met or exceeded your expectations Our Team looks forward to your next visit !

Cheers,