“Ottawa Jail Hostel - I like it”

HI Ottawa Jail Hostel
Quebec City, Canada
“Ottawa Jail Hostel - I like it”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I liked my experience on this hostel. The continental breakfast is served every morning, it's clean and near of all the sites. The staff is very correct. On little bit noise but I recommand because the price is nice. The single room is small but it's OK. I return in Ottawa in the few weeks and my reservation is done in this hostel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We went to Ottawa with the main intention of experiencing the Rideau skate-way and stayed at the Jail Hostel for 2 nights. We had a fantastic stay. The hostel is perfectly located for accessing the skate-way, it was great to be so near and not have to walk too far in below freezing temperatures. The hostel itself is great. The 'cell' rooms surpassed our expectations, plenty warm and comfortable. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper the 'cell' rooms might not be a great choice as the bar doors are...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
traveller315, General Manager at HI Ottawa Jail Hostel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear LydsHughes:

Thanks for your comment. We appreciate all customer feedback as it helps us to improve ourselves and the services we offer to guests.

Yes, we are ideally located in the heart of downtown and we are working on finding solutions for the noise on the cell floors, but it is a tricky thing, we need to balance the historical elements of the designs with the modern needs of guests. I hope however that we will have a solution within the next few months.

We look forward to seeing you again in Jail.

Greg, The General Manager
Pickering, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights during Winterlude! I have to say I was a little skeptical at first, but our stay was good! I would stay here again? The bonus is location. HI-Ottawa is right in the centre of downtown within walking distance of everything! No car necessary! We skated, shopped, dined, walked, saw almost everything we wanted, all within a few short blocks!
Our room was a double, as a couple, it was fine. We had a couple of chairs and a table, nothing fancy, but it was all we needed. We paid extra for parking, but that was nothing. The room was a few flights up, and we got our exercise, but the upside was it was quiet. We shared a bathroom, but able to lock it for privacy, and it was clean.
Our accommodation came with breakfast: juice, cereal, eggs, fruits and bread to toast with a selection of spreads. It was fine, enough.
Some people we were with complained of noise, I heard nothing.
I found it a little warm, even at -17C outside. We opened the window and it was ok. We also had a fan to circulate the air.
WIFI included, great signal.
No complaints!!! The toilet plugged up one morning and it took a while to get it fixed.
After alerting the staff and several hours, I spoke to the young guy at the desk, and they got it done! It was a busy weekend! Staff were good and attentive!
I will definitely consider staying here again when I'm visiting Ottawa.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Was a bit tricky trying to find the hostel, but when I did I was greeted nicely. I stayed at Ottawa for 2 nights. Centrally located, it was easy to walk to all major sights of the city. Building was interesting of course, being an old jail. But on the other hand there are stairs to walk with your luggage.
The only place wifi was fuctioning in a good level was the lobby, there was no wifi available at the highest level or the dining hall. Breakfast was nice, although for example yogurt would've been great addition.
The bar downstairs (Mugshot) was serving great local brews with a reasonable price. One could have rented skates from the reception to take a spin at frozen Rideau canal, great idea!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Sao Goncalo, RJ
Reviewed 5 February 2014

It is a really nice place to stay! The jail is really exciting. It is a mysterious place to sleep. I had no problem with the place, It is cheap and comfortable. There are some events and it is amazing. I approve it!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Thought we'd try this place based purely on novelty factor, which was ok to begin with but sometimes it resembled a jail a little too much. Great location in Ottawa and the staff were helpful. Little things like the showers and dodgy wifi make this place not worth the money, probably wouldn't stay more than a couple of nights.

Room Tip: our mixed dorm was on the top level up 9 flights of stairs
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Seems like a great idea and thought it would be cool and interesting. Spent hr trying to find it, nearly dies dragging my case up all the stairs and then literally could not believe my eyes when I got to where I was meant to be spending the night. May seem like stating th obvious but it really is literally a CELL! I mean the type with bars so that you can see the corridor whilst in bed. The room literally fits a single bed to the extent that there was not even space to put my case down anywhere. I admit I sat and cried (to add context I was travelling on my own and at the end so had no money to find somewhere else and no idea how to at such short notice). To their credit the staff were really sympathetic and refunded the money I had already paid (I am eternally grateful to you guys) and I left as quickly as I could. It seemed friendly etc but was just too much for me. As a bare minimum I need real doors to shut when I sleep. Can't thank them enough for dealing with my hysteria with compassion though.

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Helen J

Travellers are raving about these Ottawa hotels