“Really nice people; hotel needs an update”

The Business Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The service was excellent. The hotel needs a bit of an upgrade. But you can't go wrong for the price. The hotel is a few minutes away from the fun stuff to visit with kids. Free breakfast was copious and the folks that served it were very nice. The giant TVs blaring away in the room were a bit unfortunate, but I guess this is a business hotel first and foremost.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mortimer K
There are newer reviews for The Business Inn & Suites

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I booked this hotel 4 months in advance and requested a high floor. On arrival I was given a rooom on the 3rd floor. After unpacking- I realised that next door was a function room undergoing renovation, as was the room below. I had not travelled 3,000 miles for a vacation next to a building site. I think hotels have a moral duty to warn you of building work like this before you book. When I contacted reception they told me that there would be no noise before 8am & that no other rooms were available. After expressing my displeasure, reception called to offer me another room well away from the works. I had to wait 2 hours for it to be available & this was on the 2nd floor directly above the hotel entrance. It wasn't ideal but better than a building site. This room however, was slightly smaller & was in effect a converted office. The ceiling was about 7' 6" made of office polystyrene tiles & the room lights consisted of 24 fluorescent tubes with giant air con vents.
The giant TV was situated where is was neither viewable from the sofa or the bed.
I was provided with a tiny shampoo & tiny conditioner ( I'm bald) but no shower gel. This wasn't even replaced daily. Yet you are left 200ml of washing up liquid. I may be daft, but I think a traveller would appreciated some decent toiletries, like shower gel & moisteriser than washing up liquid.
Being on such a low floor, you got lots of noises from the road & from the hotel water pipe system. Basically sleep was only possible between midnight & 6am. Even the room fridge freezer was very noisy.
The obvious glaring ommision to me is that there is no room safe. This room also had insufficient clothes hanging space/hangars.

The breakfast consists of pre packaged items & the "fresh" hot sandwiches were pre packaged egg, cheese or ham. The grab bags of Water, apple & biscuit were a very good idea though.

On the plus side, the rooms were still a good size, the kitchen facilities were good, the free laundry very useful. You also get a hard wired PC with printer with free access or use the free fast wifi. That is very good indeed. Although, it does add to the effect of sleeping in an office rather than a hotel room.

I can well understand that people on the higher floors probably had a great stay, a quieter stay & even views of the city. However, if you are on floors 2, 3 or 4 you will be unlucky.
Having booked so far in advance & travelled so far to Ottawa, I was very disappointed what was offered.

Check out is early, 11am. So I asked for luggage facility & a place I could change for a flight to the UK in the afternoon. I was told I would have to use the washroom of the bar next door. So, instead, I just used the luggage store & got changed at the airport - not very helpful.

If I returned to Ottawa I would be most unlikely to chose this hotel again as the disadvantages outweighed the advantages in my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Narrabeam
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We have stayed in this hotel for the Ottawa Bluesfest. The location is very convenient, it's not quite downtown, yet a lot of restaurants and bars are to be found right next to it. McLaren's bar + pool tables is located at the bottom floor. The staff varies. One front desk representative was pretty dull and unimpressed with the world, the other one was full of life and extremely helpful. Quite a combo. The rooms are very reasonable, clean and comfortable. The beds are a bit on the older side, but remain comfortable nonetheless. Nothing special about the view. The breakfast was very basic. I found the breakfast sandwiches system quite inefficient, considering that there is one person making breakfast sandwiches for all the people having breakfast. What I did find great was the fridge full of prepackaged mini-lunches with water, cookies and apple ready for to go. This is the first time I've seen this, and I found it very neat.
The indoor parking is $15 per day. Otherwise, it's a good budget hotel. Obviously, certain little things can be improved, but it's definitely worth the price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here while moving to Ottawa. Govt rate was very inexpensive. Room was larger than the apartment we are moving in to. Breakfast surpassed my expectations. Got the gym all to myself. Very friendly staff. Will recommend to my friends and family.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2014

What this hotel lacks in luxury it makes up for in unbelievable service!! Check in was about 30 seconds - and that included telling us everything we needed to know. The room was very clean. We had a full kitchen, balcony, dining table etc. The room also had a (new) computer with internet and a laser printer complete with printer.

On reading the hotel information we also discovered that the hotel provided complimentary washing machines, dryers and detergent. Complimentary breakfast was also included. Ok, this was not silver service but they provided fresh fruit salad, cereals, breads, coffee and tea. They also supplied hot bacon, sausage, egg muffins etc, served by very pleasant and hard working staff. Before you leave the breakfast room, you are welcome to open fridges and take out bags containing bottles of water. cereal bars, apples etc.

The hotel is in very easy walking distance of central Ottawa (which is a spectacularly beautiful city). There are lots of great bars and restaurants in the immediate vicinity.

Would recommend this hotel and I would definitely go back here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Elgin Street.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HiFiNI
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I absolute love this hotel, the serivce was great, they receive all my packages!!! The suite was quite big and comfy, very clean!!! You have a good size frigo, basic diner set, cups, etc. The kitchen is in good condition, not luxury, bur very clean and practical.
The bed is really confortable, the bathroom absolutely clean, lots of space of storage,, a big flat tv with enough channels, and a dinning room.
The continental breakfast is really helpfull, you can have some cofee, juice, variety of teas, muffins, breads and and cookies, oat, for the fruit some apples of dished melon,milks, yoghurt, cheese, philadelpia, and hot sandwich with english style bread, cheese, and you can pick if sausage, ham or bacon, I think just enough to start a day!!!
I did Laundry like 4 days, they have detergent for the customers, if you use the service be conscious and leave the machines right away they finish the cycle, cause some times you just cant do the laundry caouse they have some body else's clothes!!!!
They do not clean your bedroom in a daily basis, buth they do! and absolutely they dont wash dishes, be organized its my advice!
Treveled withmy husband and 5 yr old kid.

The place islocated just a few blocks away fo the Nature Museum and you have bus stops very close, rstaurants, cofees and lots of night life!

The service of Cesar was really kind and helpfull!!! We were really pleased about stay with them, and absolutely recomend this place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MamadeRo
Reviewed 14 July 2014

As other reviewers have noted, this hotel is all suites and has top amenities.
Pros:
- large & comfortable suite with kitchen & dining area, & a full wall of windows
- Each room has PC & printer and this is very rare & much appreciated.
- Extensive bkft menu options, and always enough seating during 4-nt stay.
Though during the week there was only 1 person on duty, and trash area became extremely full and not emptied.
- Bkft staff cooked to order, and kept all food & drink in plentiful quantity.
Please remember to tip them!
- 4 large refrigerated coolers with juice boxes, hardboiled eggs, snack sized cheese packs, bottled water, & Snack Bags to go.
- Front Desk staff were generally all helpful & courteous (see notes below),
and allowed early ck-in based on room avail and that's also very appreciated.
- Housekeeping staff were all thorough and polite, and you can indicate preferred housekeeping time frame based on one's touring schedule of the day.
It's also nice to tip them for good services provided.
- Very good neighborhood loc, lots of places to eat & at least 2 grocery markets for supplies.
It's an easy walk (~1 mile) to Parliament Hill & pedestrian mall with shops & restaurants,
or to Byward Mkt.
- Within the hotel, it was pretty quiet. Our room was on 3rd floor where the Gym & Bkft rooms are located and never heard noises from either, or from the elevators.

A few concerns that arose during our stay, I would call these as Areas of Improvement:
1. On the travel day to Ottawa, most flights were either cancelled or sig delayed due to
thunderstorms in the Ottawa area.
We even went from Newark (NJ) airport to La Guardia (NYC) airport and flghts there got cancelled later on as well.
For anyone familiar with the NY metro area, it's a long & expensive trek through traffic
to reach La Guardia, and also had lengthy waits at either airport trying to rebook a flight.
Then had to scramble to get an airport hotel that evening, since airline did not provide hotel due to weather cancellation.
After exhausting all flight options for that day (through multiple airports/airlines & various route options), we called Business Inn to cancel that evening's room and they said it was after the deadline.
Only after it was escalated to a Mgr staff, then they finally waived that evening's room charge.
If Business Inn wants to serve a large international customer base of both business & leisure travelers, staff should be aware of major travel/flight disruptions and understand the hardships involved, and not respond as if we were using a made-up excuse for not able to arrive that evening.
2. We were finally able to ck in the next day mid morning and appreciated the early ck-in.
Front Desk warned about construction noise from expansion project, and said it doesn't start too early nor into the evening.
I'm normally very noise sensitive but wanted to give it my best effort.
It turned out the major work that day was happening right outside our windows, and in the end of hallway adjacent to our suite.
There were loud drilling & hammering, concussive thudding/pounding, and the tractor's engine noise.
Eventually it became unbearable, & I asked if another room was avail and was told the only one would be facing street traffic & above a sports bar which could be noisy in the evenings.
I appreciated that warning, and asked for a rate reduction for the current room or waiving the parking fee.
Front Desk staff insisted that no construction would happen in the early mornings or evenings,
I said that's no comfort since that's the usual pub rules on noise and not as if the hotel
itself is being extra considerate.
I work in customer interaction & it's not a good idea to engage in prolonged argument with a customer, it's much better if a staff asks mgr for approval or consultation.
The Front Desk person argued for longer that it should, when there were 2 other staff sitting right there and 1 said they will indeed waive parking fee for that day as a gesture.
I would suggest additional training for staff to avoid future instances of above.

Room Tip: Street side rooms could hear either traffic or outdoor dining noises.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple