“Beautiful hotel and great location”
Review of Brookstreet Hotel

Brookstreet Hotel
Ranked #18 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersGold level
Ontario
“Beautiful hotel and great location”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I have had two experiences with this hotel, I stayed there during the summer but also more recently was booked to stay there and there was some confusion around the cancellation as I had booked it with expedia but had cancelled it through the hotel front desk. This resulted in my Visa still being charged, but once I explained to the hotel about the circumstances they were very gracious and refunded the amount. If staying in the summer there are great facilities at the hotel to enjoy without even leaving the property. Also great for business in Kanata

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Brookstreet, Public Relations Manager at Brookstreet Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear ValyaRoberts49, Thank you for posting a review about your stay in the summer and your recent interaction with Brookstreet. We are delighted to hear that we were able to meet your expectations on both occasions, and hope to welcome you back sometime in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My sister got married in August 2013 close by and the hotel was very accommodating with us, we stayed one night in a large room with a small kitchen and large bathroom (the bath tub was enormous) the view from the balcony overlooked the beautiful golf course. The hotel sent us some treats at night to thank us for choosing them.

I also stayed a night in a smaller room, beautiful just the same. The breakfast was AMAZING, so much to choose from, from sushi to salads and crème bruler. The only thing is that I wish they had clothing racks to lay out the bride’s dress and the bride’s maid dresses, but that’s the only thing I have to say that is somewhat inconvenient.

Loved it here!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Brookstreet, Public Relations Manager at Brookstreet Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Josee M, We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your two stays at Brookstreet and that you recall our extensive breakfast buffet offering being amazing. Our Events team confirmed that we typically do not receive clothing rack requests from our bridal parties. However, it is a very good idea that we will look into further. Again, thank you very much for your review. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2014

It was our second time to this hotel. The room is very confortable and clean.
We had dinner at the restaurant: the food was excellent, and the cook used very fresh products which had to the quality. Then, the jazz band at the loundge was awesome (Florian Hoepfner).
However, the wine menu (glass serving) is awful. The choices are bad. We tried 4 different wines and, each one was not well balance, or acidic, or just terribly bad. We were very surprised of that bad choice considering that this is a very good address. Does your sommelier also create the wine menu for glasses serving or only for the bottle) ? Do you need any suggestion for affordable wine to serve which could be good?
- Italy (red) : Masi, Cannonau di Sardegna
- France (red): Mouton Cadet...
- Argentina (red): Erraruiz Cabernet Sauvignon
- France (white) : most from Alsace, from Riesling, Pinot gris or Gewurztraminer

These example are commun, but at least we can't go wrong with these bottles.
I will invite you to review your wine menu (glasses serving).
Good luck !

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Brookstreet, Public Relations Manager at Brookstreet Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Jude3540, Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay at Brookstreet. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your guestroom, the live jazz and your dinner in Perspectives Restaurant. However, we are surprised about your feedback in regards to our wines. We have shared your suggestions with our sommelier and food & beverages manager, who will be reviewing our selection. Again, thank you for staying with us. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.
Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 14 January 2014

A little off the beaten path in a commercial area. The NHL players stay here on game nights, so if you're lucky you may get a photo op or autograph. Nice modern hotel, but rooms are small. A 2-bed room has a curved table and bench near the window, but there's no room for anything else. The rooms are actually shaped with strange angles, not squared. The bathroom was quite large, but what function does a window provide when it looks out at the beds? There is a shutter inside the window to block out the bed area, but what a waste. You need to use your key card to access the elevator, so that's a pain when your hands are full of luggage.
Food was really expensive in the restaurant, but there was a Starbucks if you needed a quick coffee and muffin or sandwich. Not sure how fresh the coffee was since I never really saw a brisk business there. Lots of restaurants on March St. were close enough.
We experienced a snow storm and cold temperatures when we were there, but the heated garage was awesome. No need to pre-start or brush off the snow!

Room Tip: Junior suite or one-bed rooms tend to have more space. Higher floors have a better view. 4th floor r...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 9598mom
Brookstreet, Public Relations Manager at Brookstreet Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Mom9598, Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Brookstreet. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our heated garage. It sure is convenient on cold winter days! As for the elevator key cards—these are a security feature, ensuring only guests booked on a certain floor have access to it. The "peek a boo" windows in all our guest rooms are actually a big hit with our guests, as they allow natural light to flow into the bathrooms, which a majority of guests prefer over artificial lighting, with the blinds providing privacy. Again, thank you for your feedback. We hope you will visit again soon.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 January 2014

By the time we ended our $30 cab ride from the Bayshore shopping centre to get here, which involved a long drive away from the Queensway that was making us more and more worried about how far we were going, we felt there should be a sign in front of this hotel: "Welcome to the middle of nowhere."
We stayed here because it was in Kanata and we were attending an event at Canadian Tire Centre. Silly me for not realizing that although technically in Kanata, this hotel is still a $25 to $30 cab ride from the arena and back each day. So I would not recommend this place to anyone who doesn't have a car to allow you to escape the dreary industrial-park area of Kanata in which it's located.
The hotel itself was very nice, but we felt like we had just landed on the surface of the moon because of the remote location and how nothing is within walking distance unless you're working in the industrial park. The area shuts down at night, so the whole area feels completely deserted in the evenings. I waited for the only bus on the street in front of the hotel on a January night for 25 minutes, and not a single car or human being walked by in the entire time. It was eerily deserted.

The staff was friendly and the room itself was fine, very clean and with a pleasant contemporary decor and a beautiful bathroom.Too bad our view was of that industrial park.
We realized that without a car we would have been better off to have stayed in a downtown hotel and taken a transitway bus that would have gone straight to the arena and back rather than staying here at this hotel...because the bus was so complicated and involved having to go back to bayshore mall and then from there to the arena, we spent a fortune on taxis just to simplify things.
Yes, I know, it was our fault for not calling the hotel first and asking. I can't blame the hotel for our mistake. If we had checked and they had told us how hard it was to get to the arena if you don't have a car, we would not have stayed here.

If you have a car and can escape this area easily to get around, consider yourself lucky. The location then might not seem like such a problem. Or if you will be staying at the hotel for a conference the entire time and know that you won't need to leave the hotel during your stay, then you would also be OK without a car. Otherwise,we just wanted to share our experience if you don't have a car and are considering staying here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Brookstreet, Public Relations Manager at Brookstreet Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Steve1, We would like to thank you for choosing Brookstreet and for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that you liked our hotel and your guestroom. Our location is the one thing we cannot change. However, it is in very close proximity of the Canadian Tire Centre, which – with a car – can be reached in just minutes.
Maryland
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Stayed here for business during the Polar vortex, storm, sharknado, whatever. Anyways very nice hotel. Very pleasant and professional staff. Rooms were large and very nicely done. Spacious bath that was clean. One of my pet peeves. Food was very good. The gym was one of the best gyms I have been in especially for a hotel. No room conversion here. They had ice sculptures outside the main entrance. Not sure if this is normal but only in Canada. I will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear leroyk, Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Brookstreet. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, that the guestroom and food was to your liking and that you found time to both work out in our extensive gym and to venture outside to admire our ice sculptures, carved by our Sous Chef. We look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the near future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I had wanted to stay at this hotel in the summer season as I golf and often travel to the Ottawa/Kanata area but after my stay this winter I would not go back with out a really good reason. Not that the star rating of the hotel isn't justified I just wouldn't say my stay was enjoyable as others in the region.

There are three things that really put me off, first impressions was it was far off the hwy and in a very commercial business area which was not the primary purpose of my stay so not very attractive for me.

Second the reception was not friendly nor pleasant. It was a late arrival but with one person working the front desk a line of people that formed after me was brusquely dealt with during my check in. Also I had to ask many questions almost like pulling teeth about my stay there which are usually preemptively explained by other hotels such as wifi access and parking.

Which brings me to the third item of things that were not clean. The parking garage had one aisle way with fries littered on the ground that remained during my entire stay, the pool's jacuzzi hot tub had a 2" dirt ring around the intake, the suites bathroom wall was damaged down to the gypsum rock and had black marks from the vanity mirror and lastly the in room hair dryer had thick coating of dust on it. I could list other specifics at this point but these were the ones that really bothered me.

The best part about my stay was the bed was divinely comfortable, linens were top quality and I had great undisturbed sleep. However with a location that wasn't ideal for me, with what I felt was poor service and some cleanliness issues I reiterate that I would not go back with out a good reason.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank T_Gould_T
Brookstreet, Public Relations Manager at Brookstreet Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear T_Gould_T, Thank you for your detailed review. We are delighted that you had a great, undisturbed and comfortable sleep. However, we are disappointed to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations in regards to the overall experience. Please rest assured we will be sharing your feedback with our teams to ensure those areas of improvement will be addressed.