“Rough around the edges.... but service was A+!”

A Voyageurs Guest House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #39 of 54 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed at "A Voyageurs Guest House" May 26-27 2012 for the Ottawa marathon. Overall the stay was very good, and we would stay there again if the occasion ever came up that we needed to stay somewhere in that area. The place is a bit of a fixer-upper, and on first glance I was a little bit nervous about staying there, but the woman who takes care of the place (not the owner) was an absolute peach!!! Really, if it wasn't for her, this would be a bad review... but for what the B&B lacks, she makes up for it by bending over backwards to make you happy!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer C
There are newer reviews for A Voyageurs Guest House Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 27 September 2010

My partner and I had booked an ensuite room but when we arrived we were given a room that required you to use a bathroom down the corridor. We pointed out that we had booked an ensuite room but the woman (although rather polite and nice) blamed this issue on hostelworld.com (who we placed booking through). This seemed to be a regular issue which does not make it acceptable for guests as you would imagine they would try and resolve this for future bookings. Anyway we were persistent that we had been mislead with our booking and she eventually agreed to give us an ensuite room but at a discounted rate (extra $60 for 2 nights). This was annoying not from the money point of view but just on principle. The place itself was very dated inside. The sheets were clean and the bathroom/shower in our room was fine. The breakfast in the morning was tasty enough but you were not given many choices other than if you wanted eggs and tea/coffee. Location wise, it was within reasonable walking distance of downtown. As others have mentioned it can be noisy. We were downstairs and at night the people above us made an almighty racket walking around on their wooden floor. If I was in Ottawa again I would stay somewhere else. The woman who runs the place is very friendly and polite but apart from that this place has very little going for it.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DJT1978
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Alphabetically, this is the first "Downtown B&B" in the Official 2010-11 Ottawa Visitor Guide. Expecting the usual B&B amenities, charm and furnishings, I was shocked when I arrived at A Voyageur.
The good: (1) I got a same- day reservation, and good directions by phone; (2) Neera, the manager, is very friendly; (3) bedroom, bathroom and linens were clean; (3) bedroom had air conditioner, and wall-mounted TV ; (4) breakfast OK, eggs, potatoes, o.j., toast, coffee; (5) within a couple miles of Parliament, coffeehouses, lots of ethnic restaurants; (6) other guests were nice
The not- so- good: (1) I paid CA.$90, it's worth half that (2) scary looking neighborhood; (3) sauna-like July heat in hallway and breakfast room; (4) TV, fridge, trash, shopping cart in driveway; (5) furnishings looked old and tired
The Arlington B&B nearby is associated with A Voyageur so I assume it's similar.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank lem1eu10
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Even if we hold the reservation with a credit card, our room wasn't ready so we had to take another room.
Nothing was clean. The washroom was so dirty that we couldn't enter it.
There was 8 rooms sharing this same washroom.
The breakfast was made of two taosts and cold eggs and coffee.

There was a dead rat right in front of the door, nobody cared.
You should never go there ! Spend a few bucks and go to the motels.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank matt59100
Reviewed 27 June 2009

I booked in this B&B because of its location near Greyhound bus station.
But its just behind the bus parking place so its very noisy.
The room and bathroom were dirty and had a very strange smell.
The service is inexistent. The hostess never came when I called her.
The eggs for the breakfast were cooked on a bad fat served on a dirty table.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2009

A Voyager’s Guest House
95 Arlington
Ottawa, ON

Good
1. As I took the bus into Ottawa, this bed and breakfast was across the street (behind) the station.
2. As I took the train home it was a short walk (two blocks) on to Chamberlain to take bus #101 to the train station (15-20 min. ride). Have exact change ($3.00 2009 rate)
3. Place was fairly clean, however, it is noticeable that some make over is needed.
4. There are some restaurants nearby on main streets such as Bank, Elgin, Somerset. Not far walks but that will depend on where you’ll want to eat
5. Cable TV big screen in the room.
6. For a single, $60.00 a night plus tax

Bad.
1. Bit noisy at night
a. Owners played music too loud, at one point was going to ask them to tone it down at 11 p.m. but they did anyway
b. Can hear the main door downstairs being slammed shut, people waking in and out
c. Buses across the street being started, and idling.
2. Breakfast was so so. Scrambled eggs (never asked how I wanted). Didn’t bother with eggs after that. Toast (wasn’t toasted enough if any), muffins, croissants (not the greatest). Coffee and orange juice. Never got bacon or anything like that. I wasn’t expecting an elaborate breakfast but a bit more tastier
3. Had to ask for fresh towels. Was given medium size towel. Had to ask for another for my hair.
4. The shower was warm. Didn’t get hot showers

Overall: I’d say my stay was mediocre. Would I stay here again? Probably not. More bed and breakfast to choose from. I found one that from what I saw standing outside looked decent but can expect to pay $20 more. If it’s cheap stays you’re looking for then is Voyaguer’s is it

I said yes to recommended but that would depend on who I talk to. It won't be a yes and it wouldn't be a no. I, however, will find someplace else in my next visit.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Stay away from the Voyageur’s Guest House if you like your room clean, your bed-sheet fresh, your towels clean, if you want to have soap and shower gel in washroom, and if you are fastidious to what you eat.
The rest is just great!