“Superb!”

Price range: US$15 - US$23
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Modern, Hospitality-driven seasonal restaurant in the Westboro neighbourhood of Ottawa. Known for deeply caring service, delicious and approachable food and great value. Perfect for a casual lunch, family-friendly Sunday brunch or special dinner seven nights a week.
Reviewed 28 November 2017

The name Gezellig is a Dutch adjective for a cozy or nice atmosphere with a sense of belonging, and that is certainly the case for this restaurant! We did not realize until later that it is actually a converted 1950’s bank building. Our overall experience here on a recent Saturday evening was extraordinary. Everything was first-rate…from the friendly greeting and warm and comfortable ambience, to the wonderful food and wine, and the excellence of our server, Marah, who was very personable, knowledgeable and helpful, and introduced every food and wine course and was eager to answer any questions we had. We felt very well attended to, but never imposed upon. The menu was interesting and had several selections that appealed to us. Wine pairings for each course were offered in 3 or 5 oz servings. We ultimately chose the roasted squash soup (with lemon crème fraiche and sage-chive oil), paired with a Cave Spring Riesling, Niagara. It was superb! Our main selections were the Gnocchi (paired with an Italian Pinot Grigio), and the Steak Diane and frites with peppercorn sauce, paired with an Argentinian Malbec wine. Both mains were delicious, and the wine pairings were perfect. Dessert was a very generous Blood Orange Crème Brûlée with a Snickerdoodle cookie (paired with a Late Harvest Riesling), and gelato in three different flavours (Irish Cream, raspberry, and vanilla with fruit swirl). All were superb! This was our first time at Gezellig, but it won't be our last. We enjoyed it so much that we’ll be back soon and often!

1  Thank jenniferb360

Reviewed 25 November 2017

Open and modern decor. Comfortable seating, warm feel of wood throughout. Service attentive. Menu offers attractive selections. Love the two course option for one price! Wine list is expansive. Wine tasting a standard. The large basket of bread is oh so good! Meal portions are just right. Dessert too! Reservation recommended.

1  Thank Bonnie F
Reviewed 25 November 2017

Our family LOVES to celebrate our milestones at Gezellig. Yesterday we thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. Awesome food. Excellent service. Comfortable seating, even with an infant! We felt like we were "at home" except the food is so much better :)

Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

Went to Gezillig for my wife’s birthday. Great atmosphere, service and food! The mussels in coconut milk, gnocchi and pan-seared chicken with green pea risotto were all to die for. Topped it off with the butternut finger for dessert.

It was our first time at Gezillig and both me and my wife are looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

I took my wife here for dinner on her birthday and we were thoroughly impressed. The place was quiet(Monday night @ 8:30), we took advantage of the no corkage fee and enjoyed a nice evening out. The appetizer was amazing (braised pork) and we chose the pork chop and salmon to share which were also delicious. I would say the pork was my favorite, perfectly seared, cooked to perfection and an impressive cut of meat! The dessert however is where we faced a minor disappointment and I love my dessert so it was major in my eyes! I had the butter finger which was decadent but not overly so while my wife ordered the pana cotta. Her dish lacked flavor as the sliced peaches tasted like nothing :(. Our waiter didn't charge us for it which was most appreciated and demonstrates service at its best! I would definitely go back for lunch, brunch or even just for their Sunday night bin end wines!