“Worth checking out!”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The food here is really good. Prices have gone up recently though. Can get the lunch special with a soup to start and comes with a couple of tasty spring rolls. Delicious food and a very good value.

3  Thank L C

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

It is so refreshing to order thai food that actually tastes like the food I eat in Thailand! Unfortunately the price seems even worse than most Thai places in town. I paid about 50 dollars for a meal and a half! The tom kha khung soup was yum but 8$. They will spice up the dishes for you on request. I will probably not be back due to price but it was pretty tasty.

5  Thank TravelCyborg
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I went here with my mother for dinner last weekend. The service was fast and friendly - seemed family owned; super nice! - the food was delicious and the price was decent! I did like how the restaurant had enough room for you to have personal space and wasn't a small space jammed with tables. It was comfortable! There are a lot of bad Thai restaurants in Ottawa and this NOT one of them (the second best I've had!) I would definitely recommend it and will be coming back!

4  Thank Kzakoor
Reviewed 18 May 2014

A family of 8 (including two 2-year-old babies) came to this restaurant after having read the fantastic reviews. We ordered fried fish cake as appetizer. The order was 5 pieces and we wanted one more piece telling the waiter he can charge us a little more. We wanted to order something non-spice for the two babies, and the waiter suggested there were only two options on the menu are non-spicy. We chose Chicken fried rice, and we waited almost an hour and half before we were told the order was forgotten. I ordered green curry chicken, and it came without rice. When I mentioned to the waiter, he apologized and brought me the rice. It broke my heart when I saw two babies fought for the plain rice because they are hungry to death. Two hours later, when we saw the bill, we were totally shocked. We ordered two soup, 1 appetizer, 2 curry, and 2 pad thai, the bill were 153 dollars before tax. The appetizer were billed twice, and the amazing thing is we were charged 7.50 dollars for three bowls of rice. We asked the waiter, and he said the curry doesn't come with rice, and all rice were extra. I have never been into any thai restaurant in my life having green curry without service rice. It was a nightmare eating in this restaurant, and I would never return.

10  Thank Gun120
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I went to Thai Flame last week with my family after having read the review on Tripadvisor. I have always wanted to have good Thai food in Ottawa but most of them are pricy for what you get and they don’t even taste good. I drove 30 minutes to this place and I didn’t get disappointed. It was a Wednesday night and it wasn’t too busy. Thai Flame is a medium size restaurant, 30-40 seating.

To start, we ordered chicken satay, Tom Yum Kung (soup) and spring roll. The chicken was very tender and fresh but little disappointed with the sauce. It was not tasty enough. They could have made it a little bit heavier and thicker. The soup was awesome though. In the soup, the shrimp was amazing. The soup itself was spicy but not too overwhelming to upset your stomach. One of the best Tom Yum Kung I had in a long time! Must try it! The spring roll was crispy and not soggy. For the main course, we ordered green chicken curry with rice, red beef curry with rice and Thai fry rice (not spicy) for the kid. The waiter bought me extra chili powder and extra hot Thai special sauce on the side. I also asked for extra napkins because I knew I would be sweating. Between the green curry and the red curry, I preferred the green one. The taste was stronger in the green curry but not as spicy as the red curry. Smells great for both and I felt the chief had put more coconut milk in the green curry. The texture of the sauce in both was good. Not too think or too watery. I found the beef in the red curry was a little chewy, could be better if it was tenderer. It’s always trickier to cook beef in curry compared to using chicken. In terms of portion, they were fair size. You could have the choice of ordering sticky rice and regular rice. With curry, I like to have it with regular rice. The portion of the rice is not big. Don’t expect the portion of the rice to be as big as those in a Chinese restaurant. Portion in a Thai restaurant generally is a little smaller. I can’t comment on the Thai fry rice because I didn’t have any. I didn’t have any desert either. I had no more room for it. In terms of the service, it was excellent but like I mentioned before it wasn’t too busy that night. Overall, I like this Thai restaurant. Even though it’s a little out of the way for me but I will go back next time. The drive was worth it. This is an authentic Thai food and it feels homemade which is even better. Hopefully it will be the same chief next time I visit. Not easy to find a good Thai chief in Ottawa, there seems to be a high demand these days. For the three of us, with drinks, tips and the tax cost me around $90.00. I find the price is reasonable. However, this is very subjective. Eating out in Ottawa general costs more than Montreal or Toronto.

2  Thank Worldtluxtraveller