“The place for good martini.”
Review of Mercury Lounge

Mercury Lounge
Ranked #14 of 28 Concerts & Shows in Ottawa
More attraction details
Owner description: The Mercury Lounge has been a Mecca for the arts in Canada's capital city of Ottawa, since its inception in November 1996. Its programming purports a musical vision steeped in the traditions of jazz and yet forward in its approach to encompass all its many derivatives.
Montreal, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“The place for good martini.”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Good music, three floor to discover, great seating and nice painting to look at. Make sure to see their web site for venues before going.

Visited July 2012

Ottawa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Bar Rescue Candidate”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

My husband and I go to this bar often to watch shows. I've often wondered about the future of this place given the way the staff behave. It's a pity that it is superbly located on the Byward Market and features a hip decor. On our last visit, the second floor was packed and had one bartender on duty with no server. We waited 15 minutes before we were acknowledged. A couple of men before us were also waiting for menus and acknowledgment. Two menus for three people were dumped without a greeting on the table by a male staff member, who then wandered off outside to smoke a cigarette. Staff from the upstairs bar came down to chat with the bartender, who was swamped with orders. A woman server came in for her shift and liberally helped herself to a great pour of Schmirnoff Vodka in her coffee cup (just getting ready for work, I suppose?). At this point, I had decided to stand up and go to the bar to pay. I wonder if the owner can really see what's happening here? I wonder if they have any kind of inventory management in this place. If it were my bar, a lot of people would be seeking employment elsewhere. This type of service put off our evening (hubby's birthday) and I won't even get into the fact that we waited until 11 p.m. for the music to begin. (Phil Lafreniere) The bar staff upstairs are also unfriendly, but that would be another review.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank hellbag
Gatineau, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Still Hip”
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Still one of the cooler, more laid back hangouts in Ottawa. Truly deserves the "lounge" part of its name.

Note that this isn't a go early and have beers type of place, most nights it's not even open for business before 10pm and even then, people don't really start coming in until 11 - midnight. Go early (10pm) and you're guaranteed a spot on one of its few loungy sofas (very comfy), but you'll also probably be alone with your companions.

Great music as advertised, they always have good DJs.

Visited April 2011