“Great Food and Service”

Maxwell's Bar and Bistro
Ranked #11 of 74 Nightlife in Ottawa
More attraction details
Owner description: Casual bistro with dance club upstairs.
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Very impressed with both the food and service when we had dinner here. I had the house smoked salmon with an herb cream cheese, pumpernickel bagel, red onions and cucumber. It was huge and absolutely delicious. My husband had 12 oysters for $16. which is an unbelievable price as you usually pay that amount or more for 6 oysters. We shared a pizza which was also very good.
The service was quite attentive and friendly. Will be back here again.

Reviewed 11 November 2012

I enjoyed my meal but it was nothing spectacular. Maxwell's should decide what it wants to be. Its menu is ordinary food with an attempt to make cuisine-like. This is the plague of restaurants on downtown main drags in general and like a lot of restaurants in Ottawa trying to cater to tourists, students, and business visitors. It has a great location but it is not fine dining. I would not even call it a food destination. The actuality does not live up to its website imagery. However, the wait staff was very attentive.

Reviewed 20 June 2011

I am a resident of Ottawa and I wanted to try something new for my 21st birthday. I figured a nice, sit down dinner with my friends at the so-called "chefs table" would be a unique experience. When we arrived, we were barely acknowledged by any staff for about 5 minutes, as they strolled around catering to others already seated. No hostess? Anyway after flagging down someone we were finally brought to our reserved "chefs table" which was large in size but in no way faced a kitchen where we were supposed to be able to watch the chef, as advertised on their website.

Our waiter arrived, and without introduction, handed us our menus and walked away. I was in utter disbelief, but had already brought 6 others and were waiting on more so we could not go elsewhere. We chose what we wanted and had to ask for water as is was not offered to us. After waiting to receive our meals, the water had still not arrived, but the waiter felt it was ok to mingle with some 50+ guests at a table further down. I only mention their age as we were younger and it was made apparent our presence, although paying customers, we were not valued. We are a quiet and friendly group but were given no attention, and the waiter was told it was my birthday!

The food is general was good. It took a little long to receive but you get a good meal for your money. Also, the decor is nice but the bad service is what trumps any compliment I can give.

We got our food and within the time it took about 9 of us to eat, the waiter appeared once to ask how it was, but it was insincere as he did not stop and continued walking by while asking. He did not refill or even ask if we needed more water, he had to be summoned on several occasions to do so.

When we were finished, he did not hesitate to take our food away and ask if we wanted our bills. No offer of desert (and again, it was the night of my birthday, which he was aware) and it really ruined my night. I am a positive enough person but I was very upset at how we were treated and I am always on Elgin but I will never go back. I recommend trying Al's across the street if you are looking for a restaurant/ steakhouse with fine cuisine, or even lemongrass if you are into Vietnamese.

3  Thank FemmeQuiVoyage
Reviewed 5 October 2010

We stumbled on this restaurant while walking along Elgin St. The food was OK,, the soup starter was nice but the bacon wrapped dates were terribly burned on the bottom. When I mentioned this to the waitress, she told me I should try them anyways,, I didn't and got a new order, which was good. The rest of the meal was OK. The salmon was slightly undercooked, but the side vegetables were done nicely. There was only three other couples in the restaurant (we went at 6:30pm) and waited a long while between the apps, the meal and the bill. The waitress didn't ask us if things were good or check in during the meal after I mentioned the dates. I had high hopes for this place. I'll have to go back and try it again to confirm. Maybe Mondays aren't their best day.

1  Thank Pass-SportJunkie
Reviewed 2 October 2008

I have no idea why Maxwell's is listed as #6 attraction in Ottawa!??! It is a regular bar/restaurant for the 30+ crowd. Yes, I have had decent times there... girls night out, bachelorette party, bite to eat... but it is just like every other bar or bistro you would go to. It is definitely not worthy of being #6 of things to do in Ottawa. Maybe #300. If you are a tourist, please, please find something better to do with your time. Go see the Parliament Buildings, the Rideau Canal, the National Art Gallery, the War Museum! Anything else which truely shows Ottawa in her glory. Not some run-of-the-mill bar.

1  Thank MissCanuck