“Recommandation for Mrs. Flory Girard”
Review of The Metcalfe Hotel

The Metcalfe Hotel
Ranked #20 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
“Recommandation for Mrs. Flory Girard”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I just stayed at the Indigo Hotel downtown Ottawa for business. The hotel was nice and the room as well, but what I will really remember is the excellent work of Mrs. Flory Girard, executive housekeeper. I called Mrs. Girard because I was looking for some tylenols, I was having a massive headache and couldn't bear the idea of walking around to find a drugstore. I had already asked the employee at the front desk, but she had told me to go to the drugstore to buy some, that they didn't have any. Mrs. Girard came to my room 5 minutes after I called with some tylenols, 2 granola bars and a bottle of water, she also offered me hot tea and a robe. Wow!!! I was so impressed by such attentive service, and also by the fact that she really seemed to care about me. People like her are the ones making the difference in the hotel business. I wanted to acknowledge her work and how nice she was to me when I really needed it. Thank you very much Mrs. Flory Girard, what you did was amazing, I will never forget, I couldn't thank you enough! :-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Pascale B,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo for your recent stay in Ottawa and for taking the time to share your stay experience on TripAdvisor.

Our goal is to deliver an inspired stay experience for all of our guests and I am delighted this was the case for you. Flory, our Executive Housekeeper, is one of the most thoughtful people I have ever met and loves being able to provide these small personal touches for our guests such as she did for you. It is very thoughtful and kind of you to provide such wonderful feedback about her. Your comments have certainly been shared with Flory and the rest of the hotel team.

We look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo on your next visit to Ottawa.

Best,
Kim Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed at hotel June 12/14 for 1 night. I stayed at this hotel because it was close to an event at National Arts Museum I was attending. Hotel Indigo was very clean and modern. Very close to a Tim Horton's and walking distance to many attractions. The staff were awesome and very helpful. The bar in the hotel was great as well. I would stay at this hotel again if I needed to be in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
London, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We flew to Ottawa to attend commencement. After being picked up at the airport by our son, we stayed at the Hotel Indigo. Our stay began with a friendly, efficient check-in, with us being identified as kings by Louco, due to our reservation remarks. He quickly had us assigned to our room and we were happy to find it a bright and spacious room on the fifth floor and we greatly enjoyed the space. When we returned from dinner, we were quickly provided with wine glasses and a much needed corkscrew by Dzifaas we settled in to enjoy the Space Channel. Our housekeeper, Maria, took great care of us, and when Sophie was told about a small drip from the AC, it was resolved quickly while we were out, with no mess left. And after a great day, Eren made us the best dry dirty martinis! Thanks so much for a great stay, we can't wait to come again. Thanks, Jordan, for recommending it!

Room Tip: Some rooms face an interior atrium rather than outside: I prefer a view outside.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PJBates
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is located extremely close to the Parliament and it is also easy to get around to the Rideau Centre and the ByWard Market. Everything is within a walking distance and there are also many places around this hotel to eat, especially on Elgin St. The rooms were nice and clean and the staff was extremely helpful. I went by myself so there was a huge bed and a nice large flat screen TV. As this is the second time I am staying here, I was hoping there was at least a little fridge where I could keep some stuff cool, but sadly it didn't. But nonetheless, it was a pleasant experience. Also, this hotel is located in such a central location, you don't really need your car to get around the place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank NightOwl95
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The hotel is very well located for visits to parliament hill.

In an ideal world it would be a little closer to the Byward market area as this is where we ate every night. It was about 1km away.

The room and hotel itself were clean and nicely appointed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shaun R
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is fine but needs to make a small investment... some sound-absorbing mouldings around the doors to the rooms.
I know I sound like the jerk here but it can't be that every hotel guest in the place was some idiot who doesn't know how to properly close a door! Every door slammed shut, sounding like a gunshot, at least every 15 minutes from 9 pm to at least 2 am. And it started up again promptly at 7 am!
We stayed on a room on the 4th floor, facing the outside of the building (this hotel also has rooms facing its inside atrium). Noise from the street: none at all. All noise came from in the hotel hallway.
Overall, a truly ridiculous hotel experience.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank JohnInMontreal
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear JohnInMontreal,

Thank you for your recent stay and for reviewing our hotel. I am very sorry for any inconvenience the noise challenges may have caused you. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

Again, thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare
Canberra
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel for three nights in May, in on the 21st out on the 24th. I was in Ottawa for business. The hotel was in a great location, with easy access to business, shops, the canal, and great running/walking trails. Have spent the previous 3 nights in a rather noisy hotel in Washington DC it was a pleasure to stay in this hotel. My room faced the street, but unlike most others, I could hear no noise - from the traffic, from the building machinery, from other rooms. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was nicely done, and the bed was so, so comfortable. I would stay again. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business