“Good location”
Review of The Metcalfe Hotel

The Metcalfe Hotel
Ranked #20 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel has a great location, its just down the street from the parliament buildings within walking distance to various Elgin street restaurants and Byward market. Hotel rooms are small but clean, staff was polite. Didn't eat at the onsite restaurant so we can't comment. We didn't have a negative experience but just weren't WOWed by it either, very average hotel.

1  Thank liz t
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear liz t,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo for your recent stay in Ottawa and for sharing your stay experience on TripAdvisor. The feedback we receive from our guests allows us to continuously improve upon our product and service.

I am happy to read that you found your guest room to be clean and our staff to be polite as well as finding our location to be perfect to experience all Ottawa has to offer. However, our goal is to deliver an inspired stay experience to all of our guests and I am disappionted this was not the case for you. Please accept my sincere apologies that we were not able to wow you during this stay. I hope you will provide us with the opportunity to do so on your next trip to Ottawa. Please feel free to reach out to me directly by email at kjones@ottawadowntownhotel.com or by calling the hotel at 613-231-6555.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

As this was booked through my agent with an inclusive price for a month long tour I have no idea whether this hotel was good value for money or not .
Knowing the total that I paid I would say that this hotel was the latter .
Its location is great just down from the parliament building . It's modern and the staff are pleasant enough but limited regarding suggestions for restaurants or attractions .
Our room was ok . We had an executive double which they told me was an upgrade but when I checked my voucher that is what was paid for .
I would rate the place more like an upmarket motel than a hotel . It's fine as I said its clean and well located . But not the kind of place you would want to stay in if you were treating yourself .

• Stayed: June 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear BInck113,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am delighted to know that you found our hotel clean and well located. I am sorry to know that you were not able to fully enjoy your stay because of the shortcomings in the service of our hotel staff.

Despite your disappointment, we do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Kind Regards,

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 26 June 2014

People were very nice, location was good. Downside - parking is under the Residence Inn next door and not very intuitive to get into, The fan on our AC unit made noise the entire time we were there, but I eventually got used to it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Phil L,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo for your recent stay in Ottawa and for taking the time to share your stay experience on TripAdvisor. The feedback we receive from our guests allows us to continuously improve upon our product and service.

I am happy to hear you found our staff to be nice and enjoyed our location. We are in a perfect spot to experience all our neighbourhood has to offer. Being in a downtown location parking is at a premium and we do rent spaces in the parking garage next door that is shared by the hotel next door as well. I apologize for the inconvenience of this situation.

We hope we will have the opportunity to invite you back on your next visit to Ottawa.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights while in Ottawa for the annual Ferrari Festival. The hotel is in a good location (close to Parliament Hill and the Byward Market) and staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Christian at the front desk. The room was a good size, with a mini fridge and Aveda products in the bathroom. Free wifi was also a plus and I appreciate that the wifi was a lot more reliable than other hotels I've stayed at. The only issue was parking - the parking situation is ridiculous. The hotel shares a garage (and other facilities like the pool and fitness room) with the Marriott Residence Inn. This means that in order to go from the garage to your room, you need to take 3 different elevators and go down a flight of stairs. It's a major hassle, especially if you are carrying luggage. The hotel recommended parking out front in a 15 minute zone to unload but when we checked in, those spaces were all occupied by taxis. They could at least compensate for the inconvenient parking by making it cheaper - $21 a day plus tax was too much to pay for this kind of hassle.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sandra O
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Sandra O,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. We are very glad that you liked the room amenities, and the complimentary WiFi. We appreciate your positive feedback regarding our convenient location and friendly staff. On the other hand, It is regrettable that there were certain aspects of your visit that did not meet your expectations, in particular the parking facility. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and services we offer to our guests. We would follow up your concerns to the hotel management and we are confident they will take necessary actions to improve our guest satisfaction. Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I just stayed at the Indigo Hotel downtown Ottawa for business. The hotel was nice and the room as well, but what I will really remember is the excellent work of Mrs. Flory Girard, executive housekeeper. I called Mrs. Girard because I was looking for some tylenols, I was having a massive headache and couldn't bear the idea of walking around to find a drugstore. I had already asked the employee at the front desk, but she had told me to go to the drugstore to buy some, that they didn't have any. Mrs. Girard came to my room 5 minutes after I called with some tylenols, 2 granola bars and a bottle of water, she also offered me hot tea and a robe. Wow!!! I was so impressed by such attentive service, and also by the fact that she really seemed to care about me. People like her are the ones making the difference in the hotel business. I wanted to acknowledge her work and how nice she was to me when I really needed it. Thank you very much Mrs. Flory Girard, what you did was amazing, I will never forget, I couldn't thank you enough! :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Pascale B,

Our goal is to deliver an inspired stay experience for all of our guests and I am delighted this was the case for you. Flory, our Executive Housekeeper, is one of the most thoughtful people I have ever met and loves being able to provide these small personal touches for our guests such as she did for you. It is very thoughtful and kind of you to provide such wonderful feedback about her. Your comments have certainly been shared with Flory and the rest of the hotel team.

We look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo on your next visit to Ottawa.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed at hotel June 12/14 for 1 night. I stayed at this hotel because it was close to an event at National Arts Museum I was attending. Hotel Indigo was very clean and modern. Very close to a Tim Horton's and walking distance to many attractions. The staff were awesome and very helpful. The bar in the hotel was great as well. I would stay at this hotel again if I needed to be in the area.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We flew to Ottawa to attend commencement. After being picked up at the airport by our son, we stayed at the Hotel Indigo. Our stay began with a friendly, efficient check-in, with us being identified as kings by Louco, due to our reservation remarks. He quickly had us assigned to our room and we were happy to find it a bright and spacious room on the fifth floor and we greatly enjoyed the space. When we returned from dinner, we were quickly provided with wine glasses and a much needed corkscrew by Dzifaas we settled in to enjoy the Space Channel. Our housekeeper, Maria, took great care of us, and when Sophie was told about a small drip from the AC, it was resolved quickly while we were out, with no mess left. And after a great day, Eren made us the best dry dirty martinis! Thanks so much for a great stay, we can't wait to come again. Thanks, Jordan, for recommending it!

Room Tip: Some rooms face an interior atrium rather than outside: I prefer a view outside.