“Great central location”

Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Greenwood
“Great central location”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Great central location in downtown Ottawa, easy walk to the Parliament buildings and Byward market. Our room was clean and spacious; check in was smooth and fast. There is no dedicated parking for the Indigo, it is shared with another hotel beside it. Other than that we had a great stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dljeff81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here a couple of nights to get away to see Ottawa. Location is great, half descent restaurants around and very close to the Parliament building. As for the hotel, parking is a bit of a mess where it is shared with the hotel beside it. We took our bikes and there was no easy way but to walk them out as the elevator was too small. The room was spacious, clean but in need of repair. The laminate floors were buckling and the cabinets have seen better days. No breakfast included (IHG) chain.
Pricey, but not much around that is going to be cheaper,

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Hoxtongue,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We certainly work very hard to ensure our guests receive the very best service we can provide each and every day. Whilst we are pleased with your positive comments with our location, we regret that the condition of our facilities was not up to par. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer and comments from our guests are always welcome.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you do choose to give us another opportunity to make your next stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Humboldt, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I were in Ottawa for our daughter's August 1 wedding, and we spent six days at the Hotel Indigo. The hotel is very clean and all staff, from housekeeping to front desk, were extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful. I loved the bathroom, which featured a jetted tub and had a beautiful separate shower. Aveda bath products were much appreciated. The bed and linens were most comfortable and our corner room, 607, was spacious and had lots of windows, which I loved. The Phi restaurant was pleasing, though we only had time to eat there once. On the day of my daughter's wedding, they sent us a complimentary cheese and crackers tray, which was greatly appreciated. The location is central — a couple of blocks from Parliament Hill, and about a 15 minute walk to the market and Rideau Centre, and the National Gallery is close as well. If I have any criticism, and this isn't a hotel problem as such, it is the parking lot. It is small, with low clearance and the two-way traffic on treacherous narrow ramps (barely enough room for a small SUV) made for nail-biting entrances and exits. Some reviewers say the entrance is difficult to find, but we did not think that was a problem. In summary, we had a wonderful stay. I highly recommend this hotel and would stay again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms face the street and have large windows. 607 was great.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WebM50
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights on business and overall I was satisfied with my stay. I would probably rate this more like 3.5 than a 4 though I didn't think it deserves a 3 out of 5.

The good:

- Excellent location, walking distance to my office and lots of places to eat nearby
- Nice friendly staff; was greeted with a warm smile
- Room was clean (albeit a little dated)
- Comfortable bed and pillows
- good wifi service

The not so good:

- Parking is located at the hotel next door (Residence Inn) and although the directions provided to get into the lot are fairly straightforward, the parking lot is very small and poorly designed. Avoid bringing any SUV's or large sedans if you have difficulty navigating tight spaces. I almost got into an accident getting into the lot since the entrance and exit are the same door. Be careful.

- The two days that I was there the elevator from the parking lot to the main lobby of the Residence Inn was broken and was never fixed. I realise this is not Indigo's fault since the parking lot and elevators belong to Residence Inn but it was very annoying nonetheless. Make sure you get all your stuff out before you park your vehicle as there is no guarnatee the elevators will be operational (though to be honest even this may pose a challenge as explained in my next point.)

- Metcalfe street is a busy one-way road. When I arrived around 2:30pm on a Monday there was no where to park in order to check in and get my things out. There were taxi's and other cars parked out front on both sides of the road and no one was willing to leave. Had to go around in circles for a good 20 minutes before a spot was available. Very frustrating when you've driven for over 4 hours and just want to get to your room. You may not run into this problem if you arrive on a weekend. The hotel should at least have one spot designated for arriving guests or have a valet service available.

- If you are staying in an interior facing (atrium room) you will most likely have to keep your curtains drawn for most of the day since there is no privacy as people can easily see you from across the atrium. If you are staying for a day or two you can live with this, but anything more than that, you may want to ask for a exterior facing room. Trust me.

- The AC unit in the room was load. I am a good sleeper so it didn't bother me too much but there are many who would go crazy

Room Tip: If you are staying at his hotel for more than one night, try to get an exterior facing room if you w...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Shane1975
Lisbon
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Our stay was very good on all accounts. The front desk staff was friendly. The pool had great hours. The location was absolutely perfect for seeing downtown!
parking is not valet but is fairly priced for a downtown area. Also the parking garage is shared and getting back to the hotel is a bit of a rabbit trail.

My one complaint is that we called the cafe at 950p to order some little snacks as we'd had an early dinner one night. The cafe closes at 1030p so I thought it was early enough to get something but no one answered our call. We asked the front desk and they said they would walk over and ask someone to call our room. No one ever did.

• Stayed August 2014
Fergus, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel met all our expectations. Rooms were small but bright and cheerful very clean with comfy beds and free wifi Keurig coffee maker and flat screen TV. Situated very close to downtown where all the major attractions are a 5 min walk to peace tower. Hotel was very clean and the staff very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was a choice menu and cooked fresh and delicious. Hotel Parking was at the side of the hotel and similar rates to all the parking lots in the area. The bar was small but great for a night cap. We would absolutely stay here again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear socr8v,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo for your recent stay in Ottawa and for taking the time to share your stay experience on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Our goal is to receive 5 star ratings from our guests and we love when we are able to achieve that! I am happy you found your room to be clean, the breakfast fresh and delicious and the staff to be friendly and helpful. We have an amazing team and I am proud to work along side them everyday.

We look forward to inviting you back on your next trip to Ottawa.

Best,
Kim Jones
Montreal
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I'm just back from a week-end in Ottawa to celebrate my birthday. We have stayed at this perfect hotel. Clean, modern, quiet, well maintained and perfectly located (you can walk to most attractions in 30 minutes or so). Very helpful and polite staff. Couldn't ask for more! You got my vote guys!

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the outside, not the courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple