“Nice hotel in Ottawa downtown”
Review of The Metcalfe Hotel

The Metcalfe Hotel
Ranked #18 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Its a nice hotel from intercontinental group of hotels. Located in downtown, so it was easy walk to my office. Good restaurant, but no complimentary breakfast.
Good Indian, Thai restaurants nearby providing good options for vegetarians. Rideau Shopping mall is at a walking distance.
From Ottawa Airport taxi takes around $30 to this hotel. Airport shuttle charges are $15. Its right opposite Ottawa public library.
Parliament hill is around 400m away.
Parking is expensive.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2010

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about our hotel and your stay with us on TripAdvisor. This is such a great forum for sharing information with your fellow travelers.

Our hotel is ideally located in the downtown core and is close to so many wonderful restaurants, shopping and museums. And as you have mentioned we are only blocks from Parliament Hill as well as the Rideau Centre and many corporate and government office buildings.

As part of the Intercontinental Hotels Group we offer Priority Club Loyalty points for every qualifying stay with us so I hope you earned your points or signed up for the program if not already a member!

Thank you again and we look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo.

Kim Jones

Write a ReviewReviews (1,093)

Reviewed 2 September 2010

Indigo's philosophy that the color blue "is calming", and "reduces BP", "creating a feeling of tranquility and contentment", etc., is hilarious! First off, the vent in our room was loudly blowing air constantly, even when the AC/heat was completely shut off, which never did get fixed. Luckily, we had a suite, and the vent wasn't in the master bedroom. Unfortunately, the window of the master bedroom faced onto the lobby, where at 7am the first morning, they started to do construction, or move construction, or whatever. It was INCREDIBLY LOUD!! Why 7am?? There are no outward-facing suites, so they comped us for that night, which was fair. Then on the third morning of our stay, drilling began right outside our door in the hallway at 9am. I honestly thought I was being punked! A scruffy-looking guy was putting in a fire alarm, and I guess the early morning is the time things get done at this hotel, who cares about sleep. Unbelievable! The restaurant in the hotel is grossly understaffed, service took forever, and the food was TERRIBLE. The picture of wheat on the lobby wall was puzzling... Indigo=blue=wheat? I'm from Alberta on vacation, and the last thing I want to see is wheat! Location of this hotel is fantastic, if that's all that matters to you. Otherwise, book elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

I want to thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us on TripAdvisor. It is the comments from our guests that allows us to continuously improve upon our product and service.

Please allow me to sincerely apologize for the less than satisfactory stay you had with us. I was extremely disappointed to read through your review and completely understand why you did not enjoy your stay with us. I agree with you that loud noise caused by construction that early in the morning is completely unacceptable. Unfortunately I was unaware the work was starting that early or I would certainly have had it start later in the day.

We want our guests to feel relaxed and inspired and this was obviously not the case for you. I would like to discuss this further in person with you and would ask that you contact me directly. You can reach me by calling 613.231.6555 or by email at kjones@ottawadowntownhotel.com.

Thank you again for providing your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 30 August 2010

Stayed on the Simcoe Day long weekend. Walking distance to everything. Not a really exciting area right around the hotel but plenty of coffee places and 3 blocks to Parliament. The decor was modern and comfortable. King bed; 5 windows; cool wallpaper. We could not have been more pleased.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at Hotel Indigo. It is the feedback we receive from our guests that provides us with the opportunity to improve upon our product and service.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. You're right, there isn't a lot immediately surrounding our hotel, however, we are just blocks from Parliament Hill, the Rideau Canal and many wonderful shops, restaurants and museums. And yes, lots of coffee places! We are connected to a Tim Hortons, not to mention, we serve Starbucks Coffee and Signature drinks right in our restaurant, Phi.

We do have interesting wall paper in our guest rooms. I am wondering which one you had in your room? My favorite is the Iris flower!

We look forward to inviting you back on your next visit to Ottawa!

Reviewed 27 August 2010

The website and reviews encouraged me to book this hotel for a cultural experience for a visiting friend from Europe.

Positive things: The initial check was quick and the lobby was clean and had a boutique feel. Staff was very pleasant and eager to help. Location is fantastic. Colour scheme and overall look of the hotel was appealing. Bed was comfortable and room was quiet. A small window opens to let in fresh air. Wood floors in bedroom were lovely.

Not so good: Our room was on the 5th floor and initially looked trendy until we actually settled in. Although the room smelled clean, there was still a lot of dust rolling around. The bathroom amenities consisted of one tiny bottle of Aveda shampoo and one conditioner with 2 bars of soap. The towels were clearly well used and in desperate need of replacing. The white serving tray left on the bed with drinking glasses and things was dirty. There was also a window between the bedroom and washroom with wooden blinds. When we opened them, there was mold around the window. I called the desk and asked for a couple of extra towels and for someone to clean the mold and replace or remove the dirty serving tray. We went out for 4 hours and returned and nothing was done.

The desk manager ended up giving us a discount on the room because there were no more double bedded rooms/upgrades available. We were happy with that, but didn't appreciate sleeping in a dusty room that was never properly attended to.

Breakfast: the breakfast package is really a $10 coupon towards breakfast. We were really looking forward to a good breakfast but both our meals arrived stone cold. When we had the waiter heat them up, the cook clearly took the eggs off the plate, microwaved them and returned them. Our eggs came back hot but the bacon and other items were still cold. Still scratching our heads on that one.

It felt like Indigo started off with a good idea, but never executed it. They missed the mark in my opinion but its not too late if they pay attention to the important details.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your stay with us. The comments from our guests like yourself are invaluable in helping us to continuously improve upon our product and service.

I was extremely disappointed to read your review and want to sincerely apologize to you for the less than satisfactory stay you had. We obviously did not provide you with the experience you were hoping for and for that I am truly sorry. I want to assure you this is not the type of cleanliness or service we pride ourselves on.

I would ask that you contact me directly so we can discuss this further. I wish for the opportunity to redeem ourselves with you. You can reach me by calling 613.231.6555 or by emailing me at kjones@ottawadowntownhotel.com

Thank you again for sharing your comments.

Reviewed 21 August 2010

This hotel is right on Metcalfe St, just minutes walk from the perliament buildings. Lobby is clean, staff is friendly and rooms, although not large, are very comfortable. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant. We breakfasted in the Tim Horton's, which is accessible from the adjoining Marriott Residence Inn. This was very handy as one morning the sky had opened up and the rain was extreme. Parking was a little tight, again at the Marriott, and rather expensive. Outdoor parking was available around the block for a little less. I preferred the underground, since I had 2 expensive bikes on the back of my car.
We stayed 2 nights and over-all were quite pleased with the accomodation. For some reason, staying on a week end was cheaper than during the week.- Not what I would have expected.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay with us at Hotel Indigo. TripAdvisor is such a great way to share comments on your favorite and not-so-favorite hotels to stay at with your fellow travelers.

I was pleased to read about your stay experience and that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm only sorry it rained during your visit to Ottawa!

Our rates do vary based on the day of week and time of year. As we are typically busier on weekdays our rates tend to be higher than they are on weekends. Watch for weekend specials on our website or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to take advantage of last minute deals or special rates on weekends.

Thanks again and we look forward to inviting you back on your next visit to Ottawa.

Reviewed 19 August 2010

This hotel markets itself as a boutique hotel but it is anything but. The night I arrived I checked in and found holes in my sheets, blood on the pillows (under the pillowcase but still there....) and hair on the bed linens. I called the front desk and they moved me to another room which unfortunately still had hair all over the sheets and pillows. The room they moved me to was on the other side of the building and I awoke at 6 am both mornings to garbage trucks emptying dumpsters. My view was of another building. The bed linens are worn and you can still see stains on them from previous guests that didn't quite wash out. The towels are worn. The rooms themselves are nice but cleanliness leaves much to be desired. I wouldn't recommend to anyone who is looking for a boutique hotel as you won't find it here. If you don't mind a 2* hotel, you will be satisfied.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
IndigoOttawa16, Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay experience with Hotel Indigo. It is the feedback we receive from our guests that helps us to improve upon areas of concern.

Please accept my sincere apology for the less than satisfactory stay that you had with us. Our goal is to deliver Inspired Service, and this was obviously not the case for you.

I invite you to contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss the matter further so that we can review all the details and make any appropriate adjustments to ensure that the stays of future guests exceed expectations.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that if you travel to the Ottawa area again in the future you will provide us with the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Christopher Bean
Accounting Manager, Hotel Indigo Ottawa
613-216-2905

Reviewed 18 August 2010

This hotel has a perfect location. Close to Parliament Hill. I will stay there for my next trip to Ottawa.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your comments about our hotel on TripAdvisor.

Your feedback is short and sweet but I love that we have become your choice hotel when visiting Ottawa! Not only are we close to Parliament Hill but we are also blocks from many wonderful restaurants, shops and museums.

We look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo!