“Weekend”

Downtown Bed and Breakfast & Spa
Ranked #19 of 54 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The location is great, everything is within walking distance. This was great because we stayed there in February, and it was very cold outside. The host was very nice, provided info about places to visit nearby. The price included parking and breakfast which was nice too. Good impressions overall.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Downtown Bed and Breakfast & Spa

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed B&B and Spa on Halloween day, for 2days. I think I was lucky to find this house. The room is very clean,cozy and spacious. Great location from bus terminal and downtown. And,the Canadian Natural Museum is just in front of the house. They are very friendly as well. It is relaxing mood in the house as there are spa and yoga. I would love to go back to Downtown B&B and Spa next time!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This is a hostel. Do not expect a spa. Cluttered, dated, and feels unclean. Quite a walk downtown. Go elsewhere for breakfast. This would be a last resort option only. We were expecting two double beds and got lumpy pull out couch plus bed, with very little from to walk around either. The garden is overgrown and not conducive to sitting in.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Donna P
Reviewed 26 September 2013

First off, their website is honest and we didn't feel misled. We needed a bed for one night and the accommodations were adequate for our needs. The bed was a bit uncomfortable (top mattress would slide to one side off the bottom mattress) but we had a good sleep nonetheless. Our room was clean and spacious and we made use of the TV and DVD player in the room. Breakfast the next day was toast, fruit and cereal - all we needed because we were running a 1/2 marathon that day. Oatmeal, coffee, tea and juice were also available. The bathroom was tidy and met our needs as well. The hosts were generous, polite and friendly and it felt like were staying at a friend's house rather than a business. The house was cluttered and certainly old but it had its charms. We did not see any picnic table or fountain in the backyard and parking was sparse although we lucked out and had space. All in all, it was what we were expecting and although we're not 100% sure we'd stay there again we had no real issues during our one night.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Upon arriving, the host was pleasant enough. But it soon became apparent that his favourite pastime is pontificating so he can listen to the sound of his own voice. If you try to have an actual conversation, forget it – he isn't interested in anything you have to say. Room was barely adequate: it was crammed with two chests of drawers shoved up against each other (i.e. inaccessible), a desk, and a side table. The light was broken. The linens were worn and felt very unclean. The bed was horribly uncomfortable. As for "breakfast": instant coffee (!!!), cold cereal, worn-out fruit, and molasses bread, which the hosts love to boast about but is nothing more than "okay" (a note to the owners: I know Trillium Bakery, and they are not the beacon of quality you make them out to be). The worst part is the clutter. The hosts are obviously hoarders, which means there's junk everywhere, which means the place is obviously filthy. Regarding the "garden, a fountain and a picnic table: the "garden" has grown to seed and is a complete mess; the parking area looks like a dump; there was no sign of a picnic table, unless it was buried under the dump. And as for the bathroom "amenities": the tub drain was clogged, which means you're standing up to your ankles in bodily fluids and gunk left by previous guests. The tap is broken, and you can't control water temperature. Alas, the hosts seem to believe themselves to be above everyone – as soon as I commented on the instant coffee (I mean, really; it's a B&B for crying out loud! People want decent coffee!) the host got very defensive and I was, after that, anathema. He was rude and abrupt, even though I remained civil. And finally, the "spa": judging by the overall filth of the place, I can't imagine exposing myself to whatever toxins lurk therein. Three stars? Are you kidding? I've stayed in two-star hotels in Yangon and Hanoi and Marrakech and Bulawayo that far exceeded this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank chelseasingeonquimby
Reviewed 21 September 2013

This is my second time staying with Siri and Hari. I came to Ottawa to renew my visa at the US embassy. The first time, I got my visa quickly and had no problems. But this time, I had problem obtaining a visa and I had to stay indefinitely. They are very accommodating, working it out so I don't have to move somewhere else. They are very supportive too, they are always there when I need to talk, they make sure I eat, they printed materials and documents I need to take to the embassy.
All in all I had e very nice experience staying here and I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 May 2013

this was my first B&B experience, and I am glad we chose this place. Our room was cosy, we were right next to the *VERY CLEAN* bathroom, and we barely saw any of the other guests. The owners were very friendly and accommodating, giving us a GREAT map of Ottawa and a list of some restaurants we could visit. The location was perfect (right in front of the Nature museum) and we could easily walk everywhere we wanted to go. Only thing: breakfast didn't have any protein...eggs or some kind of meat would have been awesome, especially for us (we were going to walk all day).

Room Tip: We were in the east room, and it was great.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends