“Boring and mediocre”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ottawa
“Boring and mediocre”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

Snobby, pretentious with lackluster food. Price is reasonable but many other better french restaurants to visit.

The atmosphere is quite bland with nothing in particular to look at. The staff was at best icily polite and disinterested.

I had lamb, but it was just so bland. (And overly fatty.) Neigbor customer complained of the same problem.

If you are looking for tasty food, nice decor, music and space to enjoy your meal, do not bother with this place. They seem to cater to retired old snobs who spends their evening debating on unbelivably unimportant issues.

If you have a gift certificate like I did, prepare to fight with the waitress for the balance.Luckily, the manager was "gracious" enough to give me anotger certificate. Perhaps, it is for this reason I didn't get a rose?

Also, that chocolate they hand out with your receipt comes from Costco. Here's a hint: Get your chef to make homemade truffles. Yes, it costs more and a hassle, but is this not a gourmet restaurant?

All in all, a poor choice for a restaurant.

2 Thank Tainna
Germain B, Owner at Saint-O-Restaurant, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Thank you for your review. It's a learning opportunity for us and our staff, and a chance to serve you better. After many customer requests, we had to extend the Valentine's Day festivities to cover the week-end.

It is our policy not to exchange gift certificates for cash. Upon payment of your meal, we provided you with a gift certificate that represented the balance of your original gift certificate. This is standard policy in most establishments.

In view of this special Valentine's day week end, all our clients were given roses to underline the occasion. Please contact us and we will be more than happy to provide you with your missing rose.

And thank you for your constructive comment pertaining our truffles. I was unaware that Costco (a wonderful establishment) had copied our home made truffle recipe included in our Valentine's 7 course special. And yes we do include small chocolates, from Costco, with the bill as a replacement for the traditional candy provided by other establishments. Customers feedback has been positively to this added touch that sweeten the palate.

The next time you are in our restaurant, please do not hesitate to pass by and look into the kitchen.

Germain Brunet & Annie Durand-Brunet
Owners of Le Saint-Ô Restaurant

Ottawa, Canada
“Great ambiance and live music”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

Dropped in on a Sunday evening with my wife and was pleasantly surprised to find an accordion player singing some of my favourite French songs of all time. Unfortunately we were seated in a rather awkward location but could still hear well enough to enjoy the music. As always the food was delicious and the service exceptional. If you need a little Paris in your life, this is the place.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Gordon K
Kingston, Canada
“Good food, courteous service, wonderful atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

I took my mother to Le Saint O for lunch on Friday. The atmosphere was perfect for a leisurely lunch, although the menu does include dishes for people in a hurry. The service was impeccable: attentive yet unobtrusive. A delightful restaurant to which I shall most certainly return.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Sheila C
San Francisco, California
“Cutesy place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

On St. Laurent, north of Montreal road in a cute little half-open half-closed building, serving a modern take on French cuisine. The atmosphere is romantic. The half-and-half soup is great. The price point is lower than expected. It's okay to have a little wine here, as the selection is great and the sommelier is keen to help you choose out a glass or bottle. 5/5 and bring a nice date.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank SugarSammy
Ottawa
“Off night?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

Have been to this restaurant several times, and have always had a good meal. This last time however, I was left wondering what had happened - and, after looking on line it appears there is a new chef & kitchen staff? I am wondering if the owners (former chef & maitre'd) are perhaps scaling back their involvement?
We had two appetizers - the scallops & the foie gras. My foie gras was actually cool to cold, as though it had been sitting. The scallops were good - but there were only two! The presentation was odd - a long plate with two scallops at one end. And they were not giant scallops either. For that price and that size the appetizer should have had twice as many scallops (and no, read my other reviews, I'm not expecting giant trough portions - just portions that are not so small that it's comical).
Main courses - the duck confit was very good. Veggies, in particular the beets were nice as well. Hubby's filet mignon was undercooked (he asked for medium rare & got rare), and half the cut of meat was tough - to the extent he hid it in his napkin and threw it out when we got home. When I asked him why he did that, he said he didn't want to spoil my night - he should've said something & at least gotten the price reduced or removed.
Dessert was good. Service was friendly and efficient. I used to rave about this place, and have brought family and friends as well. I would probably give it another chance based on past meals, but I'm not in a huge rush to do it.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank ice_rider
Germain B, Owner at Saint-O-Restaurant, responded to this review, 28 October 2012
Thank you for your constructive and thoughtful review. We certainly do appreciate your criticism and we see this as an opportunity for improvement. We are reviewing the scallop appetizer and will be bringing changes to the menu and processes involving food preparation.

Annie Durand-Brunet