“Best Indian food in Canada”
Review of Shafali Restaurant

Shafali Restaurant
Ranked #147 of 2,870 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: US$0 - US$17
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Byward Market Area
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I tried this place last night in Ottawa and it didn't disappoint. The service was friendly and prompt. The food was definitely the star of the night. We decided to have the combination dinner for 2, but neither of us like lamb. The waiter told us this is not a problem and that we could substitute something else. We choose to try the vegetable malay. The appetizer platter had onion bhaji, samosas and salad. Then the main courses came. Naan and rice, with butter chicken, vegetable malay and aloo gobi. It was the best butter chicken I have had in Canada. The sauce was rich and creamy, but also had a lot of flavour and spices in it. I haven't had a great curry since leaving the UK. The malay had a variety of vegetables in a creamy coconut sauce that was medium spiced. It was amazing. The dessert was a rice pudding.

I would highly recommend this restaurant, which is located at the end of the Byward Market.

1  Thank 35CanuckGirl

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Living at just a 5 min walk distance, we passed through this small restaurant a couple times, before we actually chose to eat there. The restaurant is on Dalhousie, surrounded by over 100 restaurants, simple cafes, extremely inviting road side eating places. We usually tend to get charmed by the more flashy ones and that's whats happened with us during the first three days of our stay there!

It was our fourth day of stay on Ottawa and we decided to try the small one next door for lunch! We expected a buffet there but to our surprise the restaurant offers meal combos instead. I ordered Saag Paneer which was served with rice and salad on the side. I simply loved the idea of finely chopped salad topped with a tangy sauce with a heavy gravy-rice dish! The taste was excellent and the portion size was okay (could be a little more). I also liked the dinner combo options on the menu, just like an Indian Thali ( a combination of bread, rice, gravy and vegetable ). We also tried the veg roll which was very tasty (again a little high priced for its ingredients), infact I would highly recommend people to try it!! The chicken biryani was average tasting
The found it a little overpriced but definitely worth a visit once in a while.

2  Thank Ratika B
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Shafali has been a staple in Ottawa for a long time. Unlike older restaurants, they appear to have recently renovated their locations. It is now more open concept and inviting, a nice alternative to other dark and dated indian restaurants in the city. I highly recommend them! - I usually go with the tikka wrap for lunches and the Lamb curry if I'm there for dinner. They always offer huge portions and have great naan!

2  Thank CapCity77
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I really like Shafali with its new renovations. The food is still amazing, but it has a little bit of a more casual atmosphere, right up to being able to walk in, order at the counter and walk out with your food. Service is a little sparse, but this suits the style of dining, so it should be expected.

Great food, decent prices. The portion for the personal sized curry is perfect - salad, rice and curry for under 10$. My only comment is it would be nice if you could get TWO types of curries (smaller portions of each obviously!) but really, that's just because I want the best of both worlds (inexpensive dinner but two flavour profiles) and I should just order two curries and take home the leftovers. ;)

2  Thank Mei C
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Food was great here! When they say spicy, they really mean it (no joke). Nice romantic atmosphere, friendly staff and great decor.

Would definitely go back and recommend to friends.

2  Thank Trvlbug31