“Honestly, some of the best Cantonese in Ottawa.”

Yang Sheng Restaurant
Ranked #1,644 of 2,840 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I had a great experience with Yang Sheng, and I don't understand why this isn't reviewed higher.

My lab had ordered a large amount of food to feed 15 people as part of a celebratory lunch the following afternoon. After having placed the order, a communications mixup ensued with their new website and was instead delivered immediately! Seeking a logical way forth, I suggested to the friendly and apologetic delivery lady to leave half the food for us to warm up for the lunch, and to freshly re-deliver the other half (consisting mostly of things better fresh, e.g. egg rolls) the following afternoon.

Well, the next morning, she phoned with apologies from both herself and the manager. Assuring me that they would be more vigilant regarding website delivery times from then on, she delivered FRESH ANOTHER ENTIRE ORDER free of additional charge. This was a class move which impressed my entire lab, and the delivery lady literally maintained, apologetically, that she only "believes in delivering the freshest Cantonese"!!

The food was top notch, with ample portions. The noodles (cantonese with shredded chicken; beef chow fun) were perfectly cooked: lots of flavour and not at all oily. The rices (salted fish; mixed vegetable) were fragrant and filling. The main dishes impressed my colleagues; from the eggplant with tofu to the almond chicken guy ding, from the chicken balls to the salt and pepper squid. We were happy, full, and craving fourths!

Whatever teething issues the new management has apparently had (documented in other reviews), I can confidently say that they have settled in well. Having impressed me with their product and their service, people should understand how the staff at Yang Sheng went above and beyond in delivering what amounted to an impressive feast. We will definitely be ordering from them again.

1  Thank B F

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Have eaten at this establishment since 1989, and have never been disappointed. Have never ordered a dish that did not turn out to be great. This is not your traditional Canadianised chinese food, this is the real thing. It has to be good if your fellow patrons consist of many oriental people. Szechaun beef, mmmmmm, singapore style noodles, yummmmy, hot and sour soup, wowwwwwww, Is your mouth watering yet. The food is outstanding, the service superb, the prices reasonable and the belly full. And you can take home whatever is left over. A must try restaurant if you love real, authentic chinese food.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

It's hard to judge the food when it arrives so late, is cold and pretty much inedible. The egg drop soup was like jello and very salty. The chicken and sweet corn soup was better.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

I have eaten here before and the food is good. BUT the customer service is awful. Waited 1 1/2 hours for delivery tonight before calling. Was told, and I quote "This is not a fast food restaurant and we have many customers so you don't need to be one". Cancelled my order and went to pick up a chicken dinner at Superstore to feed my kid. When I got back the delivery driver was inside my house and she was arguing with my wife. I told her we had cancelled it and I had already went and bought dinner, she sat on the phone for a while and then tried to show me the food was hot. We were now at 2 hours. Then she started trying to bargain with me after I said NO about 20 times. Unreal, will never order again.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

Calling for delivery here can be a difficult process. Absent a website where each listed dish has a corresponding description and photograph, it is extremely difficult to determine how some of these dishes are prepared during any telephone conversation with the staff. With this type of food, the variations and choices in how they are prepared are sometimes very important. Similarly, it was difficult to get straight answers about ingredients in the dishes asked-about. Good? - The dumplings and wonton soup were great. Not so good -- General Tao (chicken isn't soft enough and outside batter isn't crispy-fried enough -- plus -- odd additional ingredients and too much spice), Almond Soo Guy (tough and dark salty sauce used instead of a better gravy-like sauce), rice - dried out quickly. Delivery was relatively quick and prompt.